Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Home Forums LUG discussions Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Zemata
    Participant

The show will not be providing table covers so we’ll need to get some. Don’t worry when I do the design I’ll leave an appropriate amount of table showing if need be.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Since I still feel obligated to donate to the LUG for my year’s membership, I went out and bought three 32 x 32 baseplates. They’re still in the packaging. Can I donate these in lieu of the $15, Josh, since LUGers will need them?

Dan
    Participant

We can probably get any of the following sizes since they can easily be used to make the correct size:

32×32 (duh)
    16×32
    16×16
    8×24 (if we can get in sets of 4)

Josh
    Keymaster

Since I still feel obligated to donate to the LUG for my year’s membership, I went out and bought three 32 x 32 baseplates. They’re still in the packaging. Can I donate these in lieu of the $15, Josh, since LUGers will need them?

quite generous of you. I will never tell anyone not to give what they want to give to the lug. We still have to cross the bridge of how we’re going to divvy out baseplates (lug owned vs discounted to members) but the more the merrier, I’d think.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greenberg behind the scene update: Tim and I are envisioning a Polar Express train that travels between a snowy village and a North Pole area including at least a Santa’s castle and a toy factory. We did not talk about winter village sets specifically, but those would be welcome additions. Has someone been designate to organize the overall layout?

Laura mentioned yesterday that there may be an issue with putting a sticker on the side of a train that says Polar Express. If anyone has train contacts in other LUG’s, this would be a good question to run past them.

Tim

Laura mentioned yesterday that there may be an issue with putting a sticker on the side of a train that says Polar Express. If anyone has train contacts in other LUG’s, this would be a good question to run past them.

What kind of issues? Copyright? We’re not selling anything so I can not imagine any legal issues with building and displaying a Lego model of a “Polar Express”.

Tim

Greenberg behind the scene update: Tim and I are envisioning a Polar Express train that travels between a snowy village and a North Pole area including at least a Santa’s castle and a toy factory. We did not talk about winter village sets specifically, but those would be welcome additions. Has someone been designate to organize the overall layout?

Due to the potential size and complexity (multiple theme areas), it might be a good idea to appoint Section Coordinators to help organize each subsection of the display. I would be willing to volunteer as the Town Section Coordinator.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What kind of issues? Copyright? We’re not selling anything so I can not imagine any legal issues with building and displaying a Lego model of a “Polar Express”.

I agree with you that its not a copyright violation because we are not selling it but Laura heard that the people who own the copyright are very protective of it. I guess working in a trolley museum you might hear about this type of thing more often.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Tim

I agree with you that its not a copyright violation because we are not selling it but Laura heard that the people who own the copyright are very protective of it. I guess working in a trolley museum you might hear about this type of thing more often.

That’s understandable. If the Museum raises this as an issue, we can relabel it the “Christmas Express” or the “Santa Express” or the “North Pole Express”.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Good point. Josh said to put reflective tiles on the roof and call it the Solar Express. 🙂

Tim

Or big teeth on the front and call it the “Molar Express”. Or ten pins and call it the “Bowler Express”. 😛

Dan
    Participant

I prefer the “Frosty Limited” with volunteers getting a Wendy’s Frosty

Zemata
    Participant

OKAY HERE’S WHO I HAVE FOR CONTRIBUTERS SO FAR. IF I MISSED ANYONE LET ME KNOW!

Evan
    Matt
    Dan
    Benjamin
    Tim
    Greg

I’ll draft us a desgin as soon as this is confirmed.

Zemata
    Participant

Also I intend to go to C3 TRU and BOGO 50% some baseplates and I urge someone else to do so as well at a different store so we can get a lot.

Tim

OKAY HERE’S WHO I HAVE FOR CONTRIBUTERS SO FAR. IF I MISSED ANYONE LET ME KNOW!

I am confirmed. Also, I plan to contribute to the “North Pole / Winter Village” section and the “Town” section. It may be a good idea to find out what other sections/themes people are planning on displaying. That should help you formulate an accurate initial layout schematic.

To that end, please place the Town and North Pole sections next to each other (with room in the middle for a forest area, as in The Polar Express). Thank you!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

please place the Town and North Pole sections next to each other (with room in the middle for a forest area, as in The Polar Express).

That brings up a good point / question: Evan said 2 separate display areas… are we keeping the Town and North Pole separate for that, or what would the second display be?

Zemata
    Participant

Our second, smaller table is for MOCs that aren’t part of our train layout. My ship and robots will be there. We get benefits for each 100sq ft display so Josh and I ensured we got as many as we could.

Dan
    Participant

I can confirm that there will be monorail. That being said, who all wants a monorail running over their plates? I heights can be multiples of 10 bricks high and pilings can take up either a 6×6 square or 4 2×8 squares on the edges of a 6×6 square.

As for building plates I wanted to talk with Rich about collaborating on a space section.

Josh
    Keymaster

Sent you a mail, Evan. We should get that in writing; that we’re good to get paid twice.

also, confirm me for contributing, at least. we’ll see what I can do as time gets closer for #2.

Josh
    Keymaster

Evan, have a table layout to share? Let’s try to get a final/complete table plan by the 18th. That might mean taking the focus off of who is building and more one what we need to build. I mean, get size requirements from those who are displaying and a general theme, and try to arrange them in a way that makes sense. Then, we can assign open space for more builders or for the same people to expand.

Zemata
    Participant

Okay, now I’ve got with some info from Gregs post…

Evan – I can contribute some powered track (I assume that’s what we’ll use just incase anyone needs it), I’ll purchase the tablecloth we need, can bring MS GE PS FB modular houses, bringing a horizon express, a maersk train to park on a track offshoot
    Josh – 48 x 48 baseplates covered in white (Josh you can fit a few in your spcae and maybe let Tim/Greg use the others to build their winter things on?)
    Joe – modular buildings
    Matt – monorail parts, other horizon express if you still have it built
    Dan – monorail parts, space scene possibly with Rich
    Benjamin
    Tim – has plans for a few buildings including a Santa factory, can help coordinate town layout
    Greg – has roughly two dozen white roofed buildings to contribute, Santa monorail

Dan, Matt I have the prepared bluebrick file of the layout so far for you to drop monorial designs on. Just give me an email address to send it to. I think it would be best to avoid crossovers. We don’t have to do a whole table circuit if you don’t have enough!

I see us having one circuit of track for a horizon express and one for the Polar Express themed train (whos building this?). We shouldn’t really need tons of other trains or rolling stock beyond that unless we want to expand our track somewhere.

Aside from that, you’re free to fill your space with whatever you like provided it doesn’t get in the way of the track or monorail. If anyone wants more space, less space, or wants to trade with someone, speak up! I suggest that those of us bringing modulars put a little white decor on them to imply snow 🙂

SO after every one is settled with their slice and we have the monorail design in place I think we’re set to build and prepare!

Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Zemata.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I admittedly have been sort of doing a ‘wait and see’ thing cause I’m not entirely sure what to expect. I did spend some time this evening, while listening to the Pirates lose, going thru the Future Tenant pics to see what kind of stuff people have. Also, this list is helpful. Here’s what I’ve been planning:

– I have a Horizon Express also. It appears there may be a glut of HE’s, but for what it’s worth, mine is currently motorized and ready to go. I did the motor and lights exactly as they appear in the official instructions and I did a test drive in my living room a couple days ago. I can also convert it to 9V easily enough if we so desire. Having at least two would be good though, on the back of the box they show two sets connected butt-to-butt and it looks sweet.

– I have the Palace Cinema. Right now it is built straight up as the set. I was planning on MILSing it, and putting in the rear left corner of a 2×2 set of MILSed plates. So let me know if that’s not what you want me to do, if I do so, Evan’s sets would all also need to be MILSed in order to connect. For the other three baseplates, the forward two I was going to MILS with straight train track coming thru the center, according to the MILS standard instructions that’s in that one link Evan’s posted, and then dress it up a bit with rocks and plants and trees. Again, if nobody else is MILSing the train track, then I’ll have to not do that in order to connect to the rest of the track. The remaining corner would be a little park, with trees and a small road for the PC limo to park. There would be room for the monorail to come through, I am not exactly sure what the monorail guys have in mind.

That’s all I had planned. Some of you may have heard me say at Q3 that I have been good in the past at coming up with grandiose plans that never become realized, so I am deliberately trying to keep it simple here for my first display. (Plus I’m still working on organizing my collection and it’s like a Lego explosion around here right now, not that you asked.)

OK, let me know how that sounds and if I need to modify my plans.

Laura
    Participant

I’m also planning to contribute what I can, I just forgot to post that I was >_>, sorry! I have 9v track (I need to count but it’s about 50 pieces of straight track, ~80 curved and 3 right and 3 Left 9v switches. I also have a multitude of trains, utility vehicles and streets vehicles. Since the space seems to already be divide up I can add to other areas if needed.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It appears there may be a glut of HE’s, but for what it’s worth, mine is currently motorized and ready to go.

Evan, is yours motorized? Because mine is built, but I don’t even have the power functions stuff… so it can be towed, but not powered, unless I get on that.

I basically don’t have track (except monorail), so I won’t be very useful in providing MILS plates (again, unless I go buy stuff…) Or, I can build plates but leave out the track, and borrow track from others…?

I love the MS Paint effects on the layout; can we clarify a few things about it?

– each green square represents a 32×32 (10″x10″) baseplate, yes? because tables are 30″ wide, and it looks like 3 squares is same width. Stating it plainly just in case anyone needs it to be clarified.

– I’m counting 125 green squares, which is a lot. Are the people whose names are on the diagram prepared to handle 16 baseplates each, or are we in danger of biting off more than we can chew? Example: Ben’s section on the diagram shows 16 baseplates, but in his post he mentioned doing 4. Not saying anyone should be expected to do more than he or she is willing / capable of (based on inventory & build time, not dissing anyone’s skill); just saying we need to make sure (sooner rather than later) that we’re really capable of filling that many baseplates.

– we’re going to have a separate, similarly sized group of tables for MOCs that aren’t trains / winter villages, right? (I.E. – Pittsburgh buildings, starfighters, medieval villages, ships in bottles…)

– Greg, I saw on the other thread () that you said you have a Santa monorail “nearly completed” – are you needing the actual monorail cars from Dan or me to put it on, or do you have that, too?

– Related to last question: are we trying for *just* a Santa’s sleigh on the monorail track, or are we going to have 2 separate loops, one with something else? (I’d probably lean toward just one… just want to clarify what everyone’s thinking.)

I know this is a first crack at the layout, so we can adapt what we see here; just trying to get my head around how it’s going to come together.

And everyone needs to keep the timetable in mind – we have 5 weeks. If we are short 60 baseplates, we’d better get them ordered soon and figure out who’s building them. If someone needs to place Bricklink orders for lots of sand red parts for that wicked cool <whatever>, better do it sooner rather than later. I have faith that we can make this awesome, but I also know that it’s a way bigger project (even if a lot of baseplates are basically blank snow plates or whatever) than DIG or the Great Wall, so we can’t afford to do what I’ve done so far and wait until the last day or two…. [preaching to myself here, just letting yinz listen to the lecture.]

Greg Schubert
    Participant

… Santa monorail … are you needing the actual monorail cars … ?

The thing I’ve built does not run on a monorail track, it runs on a trail of 1x bricks. We don’t have to include it, its just available. I’ll upload a photo later … or maybe a video of it running.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar