What's your day job?

Home Forums Off Topic What's your day job?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

or night job in my case.
    I’ve been in 8 positions in the 8 years I’ve been with BNYMellon. Currently, I work from home managing a team of 13 that support a major/critical financial application. When asked what that means, I usually just say, I’m in IT and people stop asking questions. I’ve got a masters in organizational leadership and did a stint in the project management office at the bank where I earned my Project Management Professional certification.

All that to say, my ulterior motive is to figure out what skills we have in the LUG…like if you’re an electrician, maybe you can lead lighting a town display, or if you’re a mechanic, maybe I can ask you why my car is making that weird noise, or if you’re an engineer, maybe you can map out a grid of a library display case. That sort of thing.

Tim

I’m a real estate attorney.  So if we ever want to buy a clubhouse, no problem.  😀

Freelance producer and director in theater. I also work a lot with film and touring a sideshow.

Zemata
    Participant

I’m a temp (hopefully being hired soon) at Industrial Scientific, a company that produces gas detection equipment.  I’m a production level employee so I’m pretty decent at small scale electronics which I’m also in school for right now.    Weekdays 6:30-3 with school on mon, tues, sat.  I never have enough time to build or compose ._.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

My degree is in mechanical engineering, although sometimes I think “data monkey”, “desk jockey”, or “corporate whore” would all be more fitting descriptors.

My specialty is 3D modeling in SolidWorks.  If I had infinite time, it would be sweet to model all kinds of bricks so as to experiment with potential fits and whatnot before placing Bricklink orders… I know that physically building (or attempting to build) something is much of the draw of LEGO, but there are cases where virtual modeling would come in handy.  I’m sure The LEGO Group already have all of that, though… so essentially I’m saying I want to work for them.

Doug
    Participant

I’m a doctoral candidate in rhetoric at Carnegie Mellon University. I teach courses in composition, professional writing, non-profit advocacy and, starting this semester, language and culture. Also, I have a side job at Ikea, to make a few extra bucks which were supposed to go entirely into savings but, hey, brick is a form of savings right?! Right?!

Oh, and since others mentioned their background too: I have an undergrad degree in journalism and an MA in rhetoric.

Zemata
    Participant

My degree is in mechanical engineering, although sometimes I think “data monkey”, “desk jockey”, or “corporate whore” would all be more fitting descriptors. My specialty is 3D modeling in SolidWorks. If I had infinite time, it would be sweet to model all kinds of bricks so as to experiment with potential fits and whatnot before placing Bricklink orders… I know that physically building (or attempting to build) something is much of the draw of LEGO, but there are cases where virtual modeling would come in handy. I’m sure The LEGO Group already have all of that, though… so essentially I’m saying I want to work for them.

3D modeling eh? We may have to talk sometime!

Dan
    Participant

My degree is in Computer Science with a minor in Classics (Greek & Roman history). I’m currently pursuing a master’s degree in CS. I’m a part time instructor leading labs for data structures, but in the past I’ve done computer repair/technical support jobs and going further back) farm work! I’m also involved in RoommateFit (a startup focused on personality-based roommate matching for universities).

Josh
    Keymaster

My degree is in Computer Science with a minor in Classics (Greek & Roman history). I’m currently pursuing a master’s degree in CS. I’m a part time instructor leading labs for data structures, but in the past I’ve done computer repair/technical support jobs and going further back) farm work! I’m also involved in RoommateFit (a startup focused on personality-based roommate matching for universities).

any good with wordpress plugins? Know anyone? It’s all PHP/mysql, and I could dumb around the APIs, it’s just taking the time to teach myself. There’s a few items of functionality lacking for the site, and if done correctly, should be portable to any other wordpress site, so you get some street cred I guess…

Jonathan
    Participant

Im finishing up my degree in business marketing but my current day job is a carpenter. I will probably take that on full time once I graduate, I guess that why I like legos, always enjoyed building!

Dan
    Participant

any good with wordpress plugins? Know anyone? It’s all PHP/mysql, and I could dumb around the APIs, it’s just taking the time to teach myself. There’s a few items of functionality lacking for the site, and if done correctly, should be portable to any other wordpress site, so you get some street cred I guess…

I’ve never worked on WordPress plugins, although I’ve looked at a few to get a feel for how they hook in. I’d be interested in hearing what you’d like and maybe try working on them some as I get time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar