2020 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions 2020 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tim

I emailed the children’s librarian at the Cranberry Library and she is excited to have us do a display again this year (6th or 7th year in a row – I can not remember exactly). The theme this year for the summer reading program is “Imagine Your Story” with a push for fantasy, fairy tales, mythical creatures, etc. And they will be celebrating Harry Potter’s birthday this summer with the closing party happening on his birthday (July 31)! Summer Reading will begin Friday, June 5 and runs until Friday, July 31. So I would target Saturday, May 30 for set up and either Saturday, August 1 or Saturday, August 8 for tear down (knowing that there may be other conflicts on Saturday, August 1 – Brickfair VA, Moraine Regatta, etc.).

We did have a castle theme about 4 years ago (see Greg’s yellow castle still in existence) and we could do something similar this year. I could provide Hogwart’s Great Hall since there will be a Harry Potter element to their program (although that will take up a decent amount of floorspace – something to be considered). I would not want everything (or even the majority) to be Potter related as we should be able to put together a really solid medieval/fantasy display. As always, height is critical to a good display, so maybe some airships or a castle on a floating rock or cloud. Let me know your ideas so we can start planning.

I scoured back through prior year Library threads and located the attached two images made by @bengood921, one in baseplates and one with measurements. These can assist use in layout planning.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

(6th or 7th year in a row – I can not remember exactly)

OK, I had to figure out exactly how many years we have done this. In reviewing all the threads on the Forums, 2020 will be the 8th year we have done a summer Library display – every summer following the LUG formation in the fall of 2012!

Here is the rundown of the theme each year for those who may be interested:

2019 – “Space – A Universe of Stories”
    2018 – “Libraries Rock”
    2017 – “Build a Better World”
    2016 – “On your Mark, Get Set, Read!”
    2015 – “Heros”
    2014 – “Fizz, Boom, Read”
    2013 – “Dig into Reading”

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Ha, Tim beat me to it, I was busy looking up the list when his update appeared. I certainly knew that the castle display was more than 4 years ago. Time flies when you get old.

As for the diagrams, they are old and known to be inaccurate and I would use them only for the most general of planning purposes. I took new measurements either at install or teardown for the 2019 display, but I have not converted my notes into a new diagram yet and don’t expect to do so til at least mid-March.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I am interested in helping out. I have many pirate ships if we could do a “Peter Pan” type build in the sky with fighting ships maybe? Not sure how we would suspend them though. We could also use the LED night sky that we never used for the space build to give it some lighting effects now that we know that works in the display from last year!

Tim

Not sure how we would suspend them though.

The wooden beams still exist for hanging things. Mixed with some fishing line, works great. I like the idea of trying to incorporate the LEDs since we were not able to figure it out last year.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

The wooden beams still exist for hanging things. Mixed with some fishing line, works great. I like the idea of trying to incorporate the LEDs since we were not able to figure it out last year.

Yes, understood. Most of the ships do not have the Technic interior structure a space ship might have. They are fairly heavy too. If you want to go this way we can see what might work with a test one.

Here is the movie I was thinking of which, in my opinion, has a lot of imagination going on and doesn’t have to be exactly “Peter Pan” with all the fantasy realms shown in this preview of the “Pan” movie!

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2812654361?playlistId=tt3332064&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Tim

Weight should not be an issue (although if we are going to hang some really heavy stuff, we might consider rebuilding the trellis with 2x4s). Structure of the MOC might be an issue as it would need to be strong enough not to give way once hung.

Yes, clouds and ships and castles in the clouds sounds great. We could consider doing forced perspective and do microscale castles and islands in a sea with the full size ships and cloud castles in the air.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@timf, couple of ideas:
    – To cover both some of the vertical space and the Harry Potter angle, what about a 3 level cross-section of Gringotts. I know you’ve done something like this in the past, but wasn’t sure if it was for Cranberry Library. My thought was limiting it to something 2 baseplates wide and maybe a half a baseplate deep (so as not to take up too much space), placed up against the solid section of wall in the back right corner of the display case. I’m thinking the bank at the top level, a rail car and vaults on the middle level, and the white dragon with more vaults on the bottom level. I have some of this already (like the white dragon), but am open to collaborating with anyone else who’s interested.
    – Do you know if they’ll let us put stuff in the front display window near the entrance like they did last year? If they do, then I can also offer some or all of my Harry Potter “desktop” stuff, i.e. Hedwig, Harry’s wand and glasses, Riddle’s diary, some Chocolate Frogs, Sorting Hat, Lantern, candle, quill, and new this year a Snitch. There’s enough there to easily fill one of the two shelves in the window, or we could use less if we have enough other stuff to put there. This is another way to cover the Harry Potter angle without consuming too much space in the main display case.

Dan
    Participant

A large hollowed out tree seems ideally suited to this. That would give an opportunity for forestmen in action, maybe a dragon encircling the top, with trolls in a cave ‘neath it’s roots?

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Hello!

I hope all are doing well and no one has the Chima Virus! 🙂

@timf
    , has anyone put any time into this build? I have been tied up with work issues and some persoanl activities. With those things wrapping up, I am getting ready to start a MOC of a ship. I could put together any of the other pirate ships or Pirates of the Caribbean ships if we wanted the air “battle”.

I really like @randomdan idea of the tree stump. I love HP so I am always good with a Gringots Bank @rcgrier3406! Not sure how the whole thing ties together for a cohesive story. Any ideas on that?

Tim

has anyone put any time into this build?

I’ve not put any further time into building for this as things are on hold. Once the Municipal Building and Library reopen, I will reach back out to see if they still want a display this summer. We may have to push back the installation date in order to get stuff ready.

Tim

I heard back from the Librarian today. She said they should know by the end of this week what the plans are for reopening the Library. I will post here once I hear back.

Tim

I received the official word today that the Summer Reading display has been CANCELLED for this year. Next year’s theme is “Tails and Tales”, focused on animal related stories. So we can start brainstorming now. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar