4-8-2 SciFi MOC

Home Forums MOCs 4-8-2 SciFi MOC

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Recent MOC is based on the sci-fi stories I write at night. This 4-8-2 is heavily armored to withstand undesired disruptions by a certain nefarious secret agent with a noted inclination toward pyrotechnics. It’s about as large as a train can be while servicing Northeast prefectures such as “Echo Park.” The long tender car full of water and coal allows for extended trips carrying unknown cargo from secretive research facilities run by the military. The imposed CRoA do not take kindly to these disruptions and have ordered the trains to keep running, even if unfortunate souls are found to within the glow of that cold blue headlight. As for the agent, he just might eventually steal one of these trains for a future mission.

As a model, this train was designed to run on standard R40 Lego curves without the use of custom track. It’s still being updated here and there as ideas come to enhance its features. It runs on a 9v motor hidden under the front of the tender car and is ballasted with loose change. Coincidentally, it would appear that the 4-8-2 class was the largest train to regularly transport cargo in the twisty Allegheny region, though real world examples were much more beautiful and streamlined than this fictional model.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Front view as I must have hit file size limit with two HD pictures…

Attachments:
    Tim

Nice use of the custom minifig 4×3 plates as armor. The exposed studs look like rivits.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had to look up 4-8-2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-8-2

I still can’t figure out what CRoA is. Presumably you’re not referring to the Credit Repair Organization Act.

The file size restrictions for this site are pretty severe. I usually resize any photo I post here to 1200 pixels wide before posting.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Gotta love sci fi trains

Rich Millich
    Participant

Studs as rivets. Love it. This is one of the best uses of the “studly” design style: big, burly, heavy, industrial designs.

Josh
    Keymaster

The file size restrictions for this site are pretty severe. I usually resize any photo I post here to 1200 pixels wide before posting.

YOU TAKE WHAT YOU GET AND LIKE IT!

I think it’s just the default…should I increase? I think 3mb is reasonable…especially when you have a thread full of people attaching pics.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Preschool version, “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.”

I am curious about how the photo was taken. Did you use a green screen?

Also, the spoked wheels, did you have to get custom made ones or are those from a set?

It seems there are better options for actual LEGO wheels since I tried to build a Polar Express about 4 years ago.

Attachments:
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Hi Benjamin, in my novel, the CRoA is to the USA as the CSX is to many fallen rail lines. They love reusing existing infrastructure, especially rail lines to haul secret projects. As some have pointed out, this was the perfect opportunity to use those extra minifigure plates to make a “riveting” design. LOL I still have a big pile of them left to make box cars eventually.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Hi Greg. Nice train! I use only Lego parts at the moment, but yes, choices have increased. Lego train wheels now include large driving wheels in black and red as seen on the Christmas Train, 75955 Hogwarts Express, and Disney Train. They can work with various driving pistons to suit your track radii (if you have custom track). There’s also new Lego wheel housing w/o metal axle available with black/red wheels, and wheels with rubber o-ring for Technic axles. Now if only they can bring back the classic 9v motor/metal track system…
    Edit: No green screen was used. I was fortunate enough to set up a photo booth of sorts with a white paper background and multiple lights.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Studly box cars? I wanna see this now.

This is post-apocalyptic setting? Dark, gritty and near future tech maybe?

Tell me more about this backstory.

Dan
    Participant

Nice Mountain! I like the sloped clear headlight.

Jordan
    Participant

Very well done and original idea! Do you have any plans for any coaches or freight cars to go with it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar