Another Cathy – Shots fired

Home Forums MOCs Another Cathy – Shots fired

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Thanks to @rcgrier3406 for bringing this to my attention today!
    https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/art-architecture/2020/06/04/LEGO-Cathedral-of-Learning-Shadyside-COVID-19-Pittsburgh-Johnmichael-Bohach/stories/202005290098

@iamrjthompson
    is this the same model you shared on instagram the other week???

Who is John Michael and why is he on ebay and not bricklink and lug inventory?!?! RECRUITERS NEEDED.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Was this different font about @joshhall an edit…?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    RJ Thompson
    Participant

@joshhall exact same one. yes.

Josh
    Keymaster

Wasn’t it your picture that you posted on Instagram? My impression from that was that it was YOU who was building one in your spare time. How did you come across it? We need to get John Michael here.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Nope. Not me. I’ll very rarely show you all things I’m working on because I have no LEGO confidence in comparison to you all. I KNOW I know don’t even go there. I just saw it on social media randomly. I don’t recall which platform. He should definitely be in our house, though.

I burned the Pitt Times on this for not covering our news but covering his. haha.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hey @joshhall I’m going to get the payment running soon – we’ll just indefinitely delay this until Pitt gives us direction on events.

Also, Pitt Times wants to do a story on our event.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

@joshhall, I hope they quoted you correctly after nearly 6 years.

pghsetdesigner
    Participant

Hi all – I just wanted to introduce myself after Josh Hall tracked me down on Facebook ! It was great and unexpected to be featured in the PG after one of their reporters ran across a progress shot of my build on Instagram/Facebook. I’ve been slowly working on this build in my down time during the quarantine over the past month or so, and still have a ways to go.

I had no idea that Pittsburgh had a LEGO loving group and I’m very intrigued to learn more ! I’ve really only been focused on building the Lego Architecture series and a few builds that speak to my nerdoms (Harry Potter, DC/Marvel, LOTR). This is the first real build that I ventured off on my own, but it is something that I’ve always wanted to model out of Lego.

I look forward to meeting you all 🙂

Dan
    Participant

Hey @pghsetdesigner! Welcome! That’s an awesome Cathedral build!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Yes, ditto, great looking building!

Josh
    Keymaster

balustrade

I had to google that. At that scale, the first thing that comes to mind is just minifig hands, perhaps all grabbing a diagonal bar.

as for the trees – PURIST.

Rich Millich
    Participant

This is the first real build that I ventured off on my own, but it is something that I’ve always wanted to model out of Lego.

Wait wait wait… THIS is your first MOC?! Oh boy… I thought *I* was ambitious…

Well done, sir. Well done indeed.

Bob Grier
    Participant

balustrade

I had to google that. At that scale, the first thing that comes to mind is just minifig hands, perhaps all grabbing a diagonal bar.

@pghsetdesigner
    , John Michael another idea for your “balustrade” is to use skeleton legs for the vertical posts, and a diagonal bar for the rail. I did this trial based on what I could see in the picture as to how you have your stairs set up, and it works. I only had black and white legs, so I used black, but I see they do make them in light bluish gray if that’s a better color for your model. Also, if one of the standard bar length’s doesn’t work, you can always cut a longer bar off if don’t want the piece hanging off the end. I’ve done that where I’ve used this before.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar