Bricks on the dollar

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Bricks on the dollar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Guys,

So I stumbled on to Bricks on the dollar thanks to a couple of posts on here. It’s a very cool blog. I even got to email back and forth with Chris.
    My question is if anyone subscribes to his newsletter? 10.00 a month isn’t a lot in the greater scheme of things but I would like to know what I’m getting for the money. Is it worth it? What’s in it?

Thanks
    Joel

Zemata
    Participant

Don’t do it! As much as Chris would like you to subscibe to his blog, you’d learn a ton more about shopping for Lego and being frugal by hanging out with us for free!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yea dude, unless you’re hardcore about running a major BL store AND you’re too lazy to surf the web and find your own deals, don’t pay Chris. Not that he’s a bad dude or anything, but just read some of his posts a week late (they’re on his blog at bricksonthedollar.com) and you’ll get a feel for what he does… basically checks the main sites (Amazon, TRU, Target, Shopko, Walmart, Kmart) for sales – and he sometimes mentions in-store sales as well. His rule of thumb is don’t buy unless the POV is at least 2x what you’re paying, so it’s not that hard to figure out what’s a good deal on your own.

And Evan is right, just hang with us and we can talk about deals (we even have a forum thread) and help you figure things out… probably we’ll only charge you $9.99/month for the privilege!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet, thanks guys,

One thing I have done is set up a bunch of links and did some research on my own. So Certain days and times I know to check certain places. Chris is a cool dude, and I’ve already ordered parts from him but I can’t see paying 10 dollars a month. I may miss a few sales here and there but rarely anymore. I need to get better about posting them here, I just wasn’t sure if anyone was interested.

I dont intend on having a BL store any time soon if at all. I’ve got other projects that I’m working on.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Joel

Chris Byrne
    Participant

Yeah, I wouldn’t pay me $10 per month either…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, I wouldn’t pay me $10 per month either…

Oh, snap! Chris is reading this?!?!?!

Sorry if I’m costing you business, buddy. It’s the truth, though – unless you’re a hardcore Bricklink businessperson who is making substantial monthly income to the point where you don’t need all of that profit, and/or you’re a hardcore LEGO buyer who just doesn’t have the time to browse through the various store websites, it’s an unnecessary expense. I mean, time is money, so if someone would rather spend their money for spoon-fed deals than spend their time looking for deals on their own, I guess that’s that’s their prerogative…

But from what I hear, there are enough folks out there paying for the updates that it’s worth you continuing to do them, eh?

Chris Byrne
    Participant

Don’t worry about it. It was never really meant for someone who is just looking for things on sale. That’s really on the buyer as a competent human being. It is meant for the BrickLink seller or wannabe BrickLink seller who doesn’t want to have to look for deals but just wants to be told what to purchase and why. I wouldn’t say I have a ton of people paying me for this, it’s between 15 and 20 people at any given time. And I only saw this blog post because I was google searching “Bricks on the Dollar” and this thread made it onto the first page of results.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Key words:

wannabe BrickLink seller

Anyone who’s trying to be a legit seller needs to learn the methods for himself. Doesn’t hurt to use other resources like BotD sometimes, but ya gotta do your own work to have success – can’t just copy everything BotD does, or you’ll just stay in his shadow. 😉

doesn’t want to have to look for deals but just wants to be told what to purchase and why

Right. It’s for lazy (& rich?) people who’d rather spend money than time, and who’d rather be told what to do than think things out for themselves and make their own decisions.

I wouldn’t say I have a ton of people paying me for this, it’s between 15 and 20 people at any given time.

Still, that’s $150-200 / month for typing up a daily blurb discussing research you’re already doing. Definitely not a bad bit of side income.

And I only saw this blog post because I was google searching “Bricks on the Dollar” and this thread made it onto the first page of results.

One can never google one’s self too often…

Josh
    Keymaster

All in favor of renaming Chris’s username to “Chris on the Dollar” say “I”.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Aye.

Chris Byrne
    Participant

Steel City Clutch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar