Byers’ House

Home Forums MOCs Byers’ House

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant

Howdy all, I’m new here and this is my first little builder’s journal, as suggested by another member.

While I normally stick to smaller vignettes, I am branching out and planning to build the Byers’ house and shed from Stranger Things. Currently, I’m in a design phase, trying to collect pieces I know I’ll need. I’ll probably start building once I get back up to college.

I’d like to do it similar to the official set in that there is an Upside Down hanging Upside Down from the… Right Side Up.

Off the bat, I have two questions: I am planning on using pieces with studs on both sides in order to connect the Upside Down and Right Side Up, but I was wondering if anyone had any other (stronger) ideas to connect the two, other than the ones the official set uses. Secondly, what is going to wind up being the cheapest way to buy sand blue and dark blue pieces, specifically tiles?

Dan
    Participant

There are plenty of ways to reverse studs. Like most things in life there usually isn’t a single “best” way, but rather many good ways.

You may find The Unofficial Lego Advanced Building Techniques Guide and this site to be a great source of inspiration.

There are many ways to reverse studs. One of my personal favorites is using the old finger hinges which occupy a space of one plate high, one plate wide, 5 studs long and provide two studs in either direction. In your case you’ll probably find that a headlight brick seated on the side of a headlight brick with a 1×1 plate to be a better solution (sorry I don’t have pictures right now, but these should both be in the resources I referenced).

Usually the cheapest way to purchase parts is via Bricklink, though if parts appear in a current set I’ve heard you can order them through Lego’s replacement part service (though I’ve not done this myself).

Dan
    Participant

You may find The Unofficial Advanced Lego Building Techniques Guide or this website to be great sources of inspiration for stud reversal. There are usually many ways to achieve a strong connection. Two headlight bricks and a 1×1 plate is a simple approach (seat one headlight brick on the side of the other and add the plate to the headlight brick now facing downwards). You could add strength by running Technic beams or bricks on the inside wall across the joint where the two stud directions meet for added strength. Half the fun of building can be finding interesting new connections!

As for buying brick I usually use Bricklink as the prices are cheaper than most anywhere else (ie eBay). If the part is still in production you should be able to order some from Lego’s part replacement service, though I’ve not done that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I am planning on using pieces with studs on both sides in order to connect the Upside Down and Right Side Up, but I was wondering if anyone had any other (stronger) ideas to connect the two, other than the ones the official set uses.

I’m not familiar with what they do in the set. But from LEGO Masters Season 1, when Amy & Tyler built an incredibly strong bridge without even using Technic, the concept of using plates (or tiles) oriented vertically and connected to SNOT bricks does seem to be fairly strong. Not sure how that jives with a clean aesthetic for your build, but perhaps it could be disguised/internal?

Technic bricks and pins are also pretty strong for vertical supports and can allow for SNOT setups. But you probably already knew that, too.

JR
    Participant

I thought something similar… not sure what they’re called, but the technic beams with the holes through them might work when disguised in the inside of trees and the chimney.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Technic bricks and pins

that was my first thought also, I don’t think there is a better solution … except Kragle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

You might be thinking of Technic lift arms, though regular Technic bricks with holes would also work.

Another approach which could give you some extra studs to work with is placing bracket pieces opposite each other on both walls and using 2×4 plates to connect them. That provides strength and another surface to build on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar