CCAC Spring 2022 LEGO Courses

Home Forums LUG discussions CCAC Spring 2022 LEGO Courses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

It’s that time of the year for my shameless plug of the two LEGO courses I teach at CCAC:

Build Like a LEGO Master is my Studio course, which I’ve updated recently. It begins on 3/1 and runs for 6 weeks online via Zoom. Candidly, enrollment is currently low, but it could still run if that changes.
    Want to be the next great LEGO® Master Builder? As world-renowned brick artist Nathan Sawaya says, “It all starts with one brick.” In this online introductory course, you will learn LEGO® terminology, explore building techniques and resources, and build LEGO® creations using digital software. A PC (with Windows XP or higher) or MAC are required for this course. LEGO® bricks are not required. Students will need to install the free Studio2.0 software and create a free Bricklink account, which will be covered during the first session.
    https://shopcommunityed.ccac.edu/Courses/General_Interest/Build_Like_a_Lego_Master.aspx

Mindful Play with LEGO Bricks is a mindfulness course. It begins on 4/14 and runs for 4 weeks online via Zoom.
    Looking for a way to de-stress, but struggle with meditation? Mindfulness is the practice of creating a feeling of calm by being aware of your mind, body and feelings in the present moment. In this introductory course, we will explore mindful play using different mindfulness techniques while playing with LEGO® bricks. Bricks are recommended, but you can use whatever you have at home.
    https://shopcommunityed.ccac.edu/Courses/Mind_and_Spirituality/Practicing_Mindfulness.aspx

Please feel free to share with anyone who you think might be interested. I’ve had people take the class from all over the US and even Canada too.

I think a few people had been previously interested too @cowinadenbuilds, @eowyn89, and @mrmain18.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Krista K.
    Will McDine
    Participant

I cant take the Studio Course due to work. I may however sign up for the Mindful Play class. I currently Use Lego both as a Hobby and a Coping Mechanism for my Anxiety and Depression and am Always open for new ways of doing that.

Krista K

@willmcdine I do too, especially for anxiety! Very therapeutic. 😊

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hi Krista! I teach at CCAC too! How’s enrollment looking?

Krista K

Hi Krista! I teach at CCAC too! How’s enrollment looking?

@iamrjthompson No way! What do you teach? I’m primarily workforce development and community ed. Enrollment seem low this term, but there’s still time. 🙂

RJ Thompson
    Participant

I teach web design and digital publishing. I enjoy CCAC. It seems like they’re having a ton of enrollment and retention issues. One startling thing I learned since joining was that out of a class of 20, half will fail because of a lack of engagement, like no-showing, not doing the work, etc. I’m always promoting vacancies with Community Ed. How many do you need for your LEGO course?

Krista K

I guess I’ve been lucky with Community Ed. I usually only have 1 or 2 no shows across my courses throughout the semester. So they like to have 6 to run a course, but I’ve done it with as little as 3. I do feel that this spring in particular enrollment is down, but my class sizes are also smaller this year too. One of my staple courses was cancelled though, which was really surprising to me, so I’m not really sure what it is. The mindfulness course needs 1 or 2 more. The Studio course needs about 3 or 4 more. I truly appreciate you sharing. 🙂

Lindsay
    Participant

Hey there! Krista how long do I have to sign up for the Studio course?? I’m thinking that I will be able to get signed up by Friday 2/25. I DEFINITELY am interested in doing this now since I missed it in the fall. I’ll likely sign up for the Mindfulness course as well, but since we have a little before that one starts, I was more concerned about the cut off date for the Studio course first. Thanks so much! Looking forward to, hopefully, getting into the class! VERY EXCITING!! 😉

Krista K

Hi @cowinadenbuilds! You have until the course runs (that day), but registration is low and there’s a chance that it may be get cancelled this term. However, it does look like the mindful play will run, but there’s still plenty of time to enroll. Looking forward to it! 🙂

Krista K

So sad news. The Studio class was cancelled. I only had 2 enroll and it wasn’t enough to run the class. Fortunately, they’re probably run it again in the fall.

The Mindful Play class is still on. I’d recommend registering by 4/1 if you’re interested in that one.

Lindsay
    Participant

Awww… I planned to enroll tomorrow as that was when I was able financially to do so! Very disappointing! Can you tell me a little more about the mindfulness course? I am truly, VERY, disappointed and I do hope to be able to participate later on!

Krista K

@cowinadenbuilds I know, I’m bummed too. The Mindful Play course focuses on mindfulness techniques through play with LEGO bricks. It reduces stress and is just a lot of fun. @legoleia51 and @kacierno have both taken it and could give you their thoughts as well. 😄

Renée
    Participant

@cowinadenbuilds I took the Mindful Play course one year ago -it’s how I ended up in the LUG, brand new AFOL here- and I really got a lot out of it. I still use some of the techniques, I have a jar of transparent light blue glitter round 1x1s that I love to run my fingers through both for the sound and the feel. Every class had new mindful techniques and LEGO facts and Krista’s zen master voice…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> So sad news. The Studio class was cancelled. I only had 2 enroll and it wasn’t enough to run the class. Fortunately, they’re probably run it again in the fall.

Aw man, too bad. It means I waited too long to give the class a glowing endorsement, although you guys can debate amongst yourselves whether or not that would have made any meaningful difference in the number of signups. If the class is offered again next fall I’ll make sure I encourage everybody to sign up in a more timely manner.

Krista K

If the class is offered again next fall I’ll make sure I encourage everybody to sign up in a more timely manner.

Thanks @bengood921! I do hope it runs in the fall, but got some cool new stuff if it does. 🙂

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Krista would you have any interest in doing this at Bayne Library in Bellevue? My wife works there as a youth coordinator and is starting a LEGO club there…and I’m sure there would be interest in collaborating?

Krista K

@iamrjthompson That would be fantastic! Certainly give her my contact info (burghbricks@gmail.com). I’d love to figure something out. Thanks so much!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar