Challenger 4-6-6-4 (Concept Model)

Home Forums MOCs Challenger 4-6-6-4 (Concept Model)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

All right, so my plan is to build this over the summer but for now, here’s a virtual render (Studio) of the mighty Challenger train done as a standard Lego track compatible design, featuring the techniques I learned when building my 4005 Big Boy. It’s a grittier design with new details that are backwards compatible with my BB design if I want to retrofit the details. You guys get the first peek.

As for livery, I will most likely give it the number of 3985 as I focus on trains that have been raised from the ashes of the past and given new life (unless you know a specific Challenger that was saved from an epic wreck and not only restored like 3985 was).

Cheers,
    M.P.Lynes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Stats: approx 32 inches long and 1920 pieces. 9wide so it fits on most layout’s 10w spacing between platforms. Twin PF L motors geared down 3:5 for extra torque over speed. 9v magnets for maximum pulling force. (Is it just me or do the newer sealed train magnets seem weaker?) Would like to add sound if anyone knows of a soundbox that fits around the same size as a PF battery box? (Room in the back half of the coal car for a couple extra battery boxes.)

Tim

That is a big boy! Great project. Look forward to seeing it once done.

Dan
    Participant

Wow that looks fantastic! I really like the smokestack design – that sleek wraparound is so cool!

I think UP 3977 is the only other surviving Challenger, but it sported a different paint scheme and wild wings so it’s not a viable UP 3985 alternative.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

I’ve got most of the parts ordered and coming in soon. XD
    But man, PF equipment has really gotten expensive.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Thanks. I think you’re right in sticking to the current number. Saves me the headache of rebuilding the train to match the other.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Long time no see. Got it built IRL. After a few tests and tweaks, runs like a champ. Works on standard Lego curve and switch track and it has so much pulling force, I don’t need rubber bands on the wheels. Gonna need rare earth magnets as it pulls more than the 9v train magnets can keep together.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar