Chicago LUG member looking to display in Pittsburgh.

Home Forums Introductions Chicago LUG member looking to display in Pittsburgh.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DaleDVM
    Participant

Hello everyone. My name is Dale and I have been MOCing since before it was cool to do so.

I don’t think you really want a LUG member from the Chicago area. However, I have family that lives in the Pittsburgh area and my grandchildren who are turning 6 and 8 have never been able to make it to one of my shows. I tend to travel the country doing Brickworld and Brickfair shows.

I was wondering if you do any shows with your LUG in the Pittsburgh area that I might be able to “guest” display at? My display is rather large. I don’t know if you would have the room or the desire as a LUG to honor me with an invite at some time.

This is me and my display in 2021 with Josh and John from Beyond the Brick.

Please let me know if the LUG has any interest in having me come out. Thanks for your time. I hope to get to meet some of you.

Play well,
    Dale

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I watched this whole display overview when BTB first interviewed you! Great display! I would love to see it in person. I have not had the opportunity to travel to any larger shows like Brickworld or Brickfair, but I know other LUG members have and also displayed so maybe they have met you or at least have seen your display.

Great work!

Rachel Hellenga
    Participant

Hi Dale!
    I live in Elmhurst, IL and I joined the Steel City LUG a few years ago because my fiance’ Ben lives in Pittsburgh. Maybe we can form a Chicago annex:)

Whereabouts do you live? Do you plan to display at Brickworld?

DaleDVM
    Participant

Hello Jim, Thank you for your kind comments. Hopefully I will get a chance to share it with Pittsburgh residents and see what your LUG has built as well.

Hey Rachel, I live in Hickory Hills in the SW suburbs. I have clients and friends in Elmhurst so I am there a few times a year.

I will certainly be at BW Chicago. The only one I ever missed was the first one in 2007. Are you going to attend? If so you need to stop and say hello. There is a lot of LEGO in Chicago, but I am still hard to miss.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet, I’ve seen this one in person multiple times, either in Chantilly or Schaumburg, and I watched the Hanlon & Hanlon video when it was released, I’ll have to go watch it again.

We’re always looking for more people to do events with us. Steel City LUG does a lot of small events around the greater Pittsburgh area, so the question to be answered would be what events would make sense for you to come in on. I seem to recall from the video that you store the whole thing in a trailer, and so setup time for your is minimal for such a large build. Here’s a couple ideas that come to mind:

Brick Fest Live, October 7-8: BFL has come to Pittsburgh at least three times, including the past two years, and they were a big success for Steel City LUG. I wasn’t actually there the last two years, but they give us a ton of space, and in fact I seem to recall that they give us more than we actually ask for, so I would think it wouldn’t be a problem to get your display in there. You might be better off contacting them directly, though. We have a discussion thread for the event somewhere on the website here.

Home & Garden Show at the David L Lawrence Convention Center: Like with BFL, Steel City LUG has done this one the past two years with great success, and I also wasn’t at either one. But I am familiar with the Convention Center and the particular room that they were in, and space shouldn’t be a problem. (What might be a problem is loading in, because they’re union there and have all kinds of rules that can be problematic. You’d have to talk to somebody here about how we got our stuff in.) That event has already happened for 2023, so you’d be looking at next year. I’m not sure we have a date yet, but I think they already told us they’d like us back next year. Again, there’s a discussion thread, but only for the last two events.

Can anybody think of anything I’m missing? We’re also doing Erie Comicon in September, which will include Charm City LUG, BuffaLUG, and NEOLUG, but even though Erie isn’t that far from Pittsburgh, we’ll still all be getting hotel rooms for the event, so it might be too far away for grandchildren who want to attend. I can’t think of anything going on this summer, I will be attending BWC and NoVA (formerly BFVA).

Tim

I don’t think you really want a LUG member from the Chicago area.

I am late to this party as I was going to mention that we already have a LUG member who lives in Chicago (Rachel) but she beat me to the punch! We also have a LUG member from upstate New York
    which is about 6-7 hours drive. So we are well-versed in long distance members.

It would be awesome to have you display with us sometime. Ben’s post immediately above is a good recitation. Santa Trolley (at the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum) is another pretty well attended event on our regular rotation (although it stretches over four consecutive weekends).

Josh
    Keymaster

Rock on, Dale, thanks for registering!

Now that you’re registered, you’ll get the monthly newsletters I send out which highlights all the upcoming display opportunities and events. If you ever see anything you want to jump in on, please do!

DaleDVM
    Participant

Thank you all for the information and LEGO goodwill.

The Brickfest live event could work. Was it a well attended event in Pittsburgh? Here in Chicago, it didn’t go over very well.

However, we have a lot of LUG shows here, plus the largest LEGO convention in the country hosted here each summer.

I am curious, does the club communicate mostly on the forum or in your discord?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I saw this at BFVA also, it was amazing! It is a clever way to show off a huge MOC. As one can imagine, there is also an elaborate transport system.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I am curious, does the club communicate mostly on the forum or in your discord?

The real planning is here. The forum has been in use since I joined nearly ten years ago. The Discord server was created about 6 months ago and was set up to be a social hangout. There is a Build Night this coming Saturday at 7pm (6pm if you’re in the greater Chicagoland area) on Discord, and there’s a thread for it somewhere on the server here, they’re generally every other Saturday.

>> The Brickfest live event could work. Was it a well attended event in Pittsburgh? Here in Chicago, it didn’t go over very well.

They’ve come the last two Septembers and are coming again, so they must be doing okay here. They were also here in the summer of 2017. I was only at the first one, but I’ve seen photos and the discussions on the threads indicated that the people who participated in them considered them a big success, at least for Steel City LUG. I am planning to participate this coming fall.

Rachel did not go to the Chicago one, she considered it an inconvenient drive from Elmhurst and wasn’t sure she had time to go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar