Commission: University logos

Home Forums MOCs Commission: University logos

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Diane from Awesome films asked me if we could pull together some logos as presents for the universities they work with. The idea is to be ~$200 each, and strive for something ~2 feet x 2 feet.

here’s the list:

Here is the list of lego needs — in order
    — Pitt [same script logo — for marketing dept]
    — Rutgers
    — University of South Florida
    — Boston College
    — Penn State
    — University of Scranton [purple]
    — Seton Hall University [for marketing dept]
    — Slippery Rock
    — Ivy League Conference
    — Old Dominion University [need 2]
    — Central Michigan University [maroon issue]

We will need all of these for early January 2019.
    I will have Ayla pull the logos each so you have them.

let me know if you’re interested in helping me out by doing any of these. otherwise, I’ll knock them out.

David Bacon
    Participant

Josh, could we increase that price to $400 per 2′ x 2′ logo? When I designed the one for Seton Hall, the cost in parts alone would have been $300 if I hadn’t have redeemed PAB credits for a majority of the parts.

If anyone is interested in this, I did one of these 2′ x 2′ commissioned builds for Seton Hall this March and would love to talk with you about the way I built it and any lessons I learned.

It might be a good idea if we are going to do all of these, if one person sources all of the parts so that the BrickLink orders would be minimized and savings maximized. Also, when we design them, we need to minimize the number of different parts used and make sure that the colors used don’t end up increasing the parts cost too much.

The way I built mine was to start with a base that consisted of two levels of 45° slope bricks that led up to a 2 x 75 stud base, then I went up by 63 bricks from that base to achieve a 2′ x 2′ logo. I originally built it without MEK and it came back to me in pieces and I had to take about 12 hrs or so to MEK it all back together, layer by layer. It is very difficult to MEK little 1 x 2 plates together, and I ended up with a few MEK drips that do not look very good. I unfortunately did not take pictures after I MEK’d it, but here is the final build dry built together.

Seton Hall 2' x 2' Logo build

If anybody wants the digital design, you can find a Stud.io file of it here.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by David Bacon.
    David Bacon
    Participant

Doing some searches for other MEK applicators, I found some that may work a bit better than the ones we used for Project Panther, especially on more detailed builds like these university logos would be:

https://www.micromark.com/Touch-N-Flow-Applicator

https://hobbymasters.com/hobbymasters-stainless-needle-point-applicator-bottle/

I think with more precise applicators, like these, applying the low viscous MEK would be easier to do on small areas like the 1 x 2 plates.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I was wondering what they are looking for; mosaic, free standing logo, etc. Either way it seemed that $200 was a bit low for such a large logo. 2’X 2′ is a pretty significant size Lego…like $400 in set or piece price.

David Bacon
    Participant

FYI, my model had a total part count of 2,441.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Without doing any calcs or thinking very hard, studs-front (could be tiled) mosaics could be the closest thing to a profitable way to make a 2×2′ logo…

Loosely interested in building; need to get through the next few weeks and figure out how my fall/winter is shaping up. #brokenrecord

Todd
    Participant

Anyone know more about the details? How does this work? I haven’t been around for commissions before. I assume the LUG is ordering the parts and being reimbursed for them. Any other relevant details? I could be interested, though can’t promise anything quite yet.

Josh
    Keymaster

Sorry, I thought I had replied here. These are just opportunities I’ve shared personally, so there’s no affiliation with the lug directly.

It’s up to each person to make their own proposal if they can’t meet the price point of $200 that was requested. What Mr. Bacon did was a side view mosaic to get more resolution. Maybe it can be top view. Maybe it doesn’t even have to be a mosaic.

Bricklink bandwagon’s are definitely the way to go to save on shipping. Get a wanted list or build your model in Stud.io so all the builds can be combined into 1 wanted list and someone pull the trigger on the most efficient way to get the parts. I did get some of those needle applicators that I will be using at pitt tomorrow.

I don’t know where you all get your parts, or what happens to parts when people redeem them from the shelves. All I know is we can’t sell lug support.

The urgency is to 1) commit to experience, regardless of profit 2)design something and figure out if it’s worth your time. I think we’d want to be ordering by the first or second week of november, getting parts in december, and finishing by the end of the year.

David Bacon
    Participant

First things first, has Diane/Ayla sent you the promised logo files? We can’t get started until we have those.

Tim

Some of these may be fairly straightforward, especially if a simpler logo is chosen over a more complex logo – most schools have multiple logos. For example, Old Dominion University has a simple “ODU” with a crown above it (they are the “Monarchs”) and also a lion overtop “Old Dominion Monarchs”. See here: https://www.odu.edu/facultystaff/communication/toolkit/current-logos

Josh
    Keymaster

They put all the files on a google drive for just me to access, so I just took a screen shot of the thumbnails for you all to see which one they had in mind. With any of them, there is conversation to be had. Like with ODU, maybe you just have to make that crown logo and they’ll be happy with that. With any commission, it’s about finding out what they want and what you can do. When graphic design artists make logos, they get an idea of what the client wants and then throw them a bunch of options. let me know if you’re interested in any of these here in the next week or two.

I already designed the scranton one back in february, but it was only 10″ tall. they didn’t like it then, but I told them purple was an expensive color. They seem to be coming around to the idea this time around for $200. I think parts were $100 or something. If someone just wanted to build that from my studio file, or even the pitt logo from my previous files, I’d be down with letting you have those too. you just gotta get the parts and build it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Bacon
    Participant

@joshhall There are three logos for Boston College. Could you get clarification on if they want one of each, or if we are to choose which one to build. Same for Old Dominion.

It would be cool to do the Ivy League logo with plant based elements and flexible green hose attached to the main build via clips. Unfortunately the only plant element that looks close to an ivy leaf is this new one and it’s rather small.

I am on board to do the second Seton Hall one for $375, since it’s a repeat. I’d also like to take a swing at the Boston College one, once I know which logo to do. If the choice was up to me, I might lean towards the one that is just the eagle head. Fewer Dark Red pieces to try to procure.

Josh
    Keymaster

still waiting on a reply back.

Josh
    Keymaster

Sorry – I read the email and forgot to reply.

I believe the Seton Hall folks would probably prefer the building that you did. It is marketing vs. athletics. Can you let me know cost for that? Much smaller than what you did — but a nice size that they can proudly display.

The Boston College options were for you to look at. Let us know which one is the best for you to produce.

I guess I am unsure of what you are saying for the Ivy League. They have the winding Ivy with the name. Is that what you are referring to?

I told her you were interested in the eagle head one for boston.

I also said SRU is not going to happen at all.

David Bacon
    Participant

I believe the Seton Hall folks would probably prefer the building that you did. It is marketing vs. athletics. Can you let me know cost for that? Much smaller than what you did — but a nice size that they can proudly display.

I am confused. First she says “the building that you did” then she says “much smaller than what you did”. What does she mean? Does she want a duplicate of the 2′ x 2′ pirate head logo that I did, or does she want a small scaled model of the building that you built on screen for them? If it’s the building maybe you should handle or share your design for that so I could downscale it?

Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Josh –
    I pulled Ayla in to help me with answers and confirmation on logos, etc. since I have not been able to focus on this important project.
    We will be back in touch today or tomorrow with updates

Thanks..

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM Josh Hall wrote:
    Hi Diane,

I don’t think I got a reply to the 2 emails below.

Were you in an all or nothing position with these?

So far, this is what I think we’ve established logistically, but have not begun progress on.

School dimensions cost Status Logo Description Notes
    — Pitt [same script logo — for marketing dept — Josh has this one] 2′ x 3′ wide x1″ deep $200.00 Waiting same as previous
    — Rutgers Athletics 2′ x 2′ $200.00 Design Simple Big red R with black border
    — University of South Florida Athletics TBD $200.00 Design
    — Boston College Athletics TBD $200.00 Waiting eagle head Waiting for Diane to confirm cost and logo selection.
    — Penn State Athletics TBD $200.00 Design
    — University of Scranton [marketing] 10″ x 8″ wide $200.00 Waiting S logo rare color increases the cost. Limited to the scale as a result.
    — Seton Hall University [for marketing dept] TBD $200 Design using the building logo Josh still needs to design something smaller than the 4′ wide one. Possibility to reduce price by reducing size.
    — Slippery Rock University – marketing n/a On google drive No design will look good for that small scale or that cost. Too many complex lines and loss of detail.
    — Ivy League Conference – Athletic — but I think they only have one 12″ x 12″ $100 Design on google drive simple font recreation with ivy leaf pieces used at that scale
    — Old Dominion University [need 2 — marketing] TBD $200 Design need 2?
    Central Michigan University [marketing — or one with very little maroon — maroon is a tough lego color to find] 20″ x 20″ $200 Design maroon CMU letters alone too complex for the full university spelled out. Closest color match is dark red –

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Josh.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,

In trying to figure out what is possible for these, I updated some images on the google drive

Our timeline is early January. So we’re trying to figure out what is possible…

— Slippery Rock can use the athletic “S” – on the drive
    — Ivy League does not have a new logo, so we can use the Ivy – still on the drive
    — Boston College shouldn’t use the eagle head – the BC with the eagle in front (is that possible?) – added to drive
    — Central Michigan doesn’t like their own logo, so they use the Athletic “C”. In the branding guidelines, there is only a maroon and yellow option, no other colors.
    Would it be feasible to do something like the new image in the google drive folder, since it’s more yellow than maroon?

Thanks!

Is mr bacon the only one interested? Are you still interested/able?

Todd
    Participant

Hey Josh, I might be the only one confused, but who’s writing the “Hi Josh” emails copied here, and who is asking whom about ongoing interest in the Lego models?

Thanks!
    Todd

Josh
    Keymaster

sorry, when I put something in quotes, it’s usually a copy and paste from an email I got. the change in font/formatting is me asking david and anyone else. I suppose that could be confusing without seeing that formatting clearly.

Todd
    Participant

No worries! As I expected – it was just me that was confused! Thanks for clarifying though. I would love to help but don’t have the capacity at the moment and definitely don’t have the means to design. If someone had a design I could follow (like with the Pitt logo) and could guide in the ordering of pieces, I’d be glad to work on a couple in early Jan to add some extra hands to the project.

Josh
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in specifically owning any of these logos? I’m trying to get back to them this week with what is doable.

Here’s the google drive link, you may need to request access from aya. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tKd1xICCokt1wFwed5o_7r_lolmaJjKH

Attachments:
    Todd
    Participant

As I mentioned before, I would love to, but have no experience designing (translating from logo to bricks, for example). If someone else does that and helps me order the pieces, I should be able to lend a hand in January. If that’s not possible, no sweat!

Josh
    Keymaster

Cool, thanks Todd.

I switched gears on them now and said that I could easily design mosaics for them, and sent them some renders based on a 96×96 stude mosaic to see what they say. those could be very easy for anyone to bust out.

She also said she wanted a big R for rutgers brick built like I did for the Pitt originally. either of those could be built by anyone too.

Attachments:
    Todd
    Participant

So then, yes, assuming someone can guide me on ordering (or make the brick order for me), I would be glad to tackle at least one of these. I assume these are to be MEK’d like the Pitt logo? Reach out by email or phone to clarify details with me please. Thanks!

Josh
    Keymaster

Yep, gotcha Todd. They haven’t replied since before Christmas, but I’ll let you know what they say.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar