What’s John Up To?

Home Forums MOCs What’s John Up To?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    John S
    Participant

Figured I’d share some things here.

Attached is part of my Winter Main Street. Just got the trolley going using Pybricks and a light/distance sensor to find the stops in the street.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by John S. Reason: Changed topic name
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by John S.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Love the turtle detail!

Bob Grier
    Participant

That looks great John!! First time I looked at your post, I just opened the pictures and missed the movie link at the bottom of the post! Have you played around with trying to slow the trolley down between stops??

Mitch
    Participant

Love the turtle detail!

Ditto!

those streets look great too. the tiling is a good look. Also love the trolley running on its track. using color sensor to find its stops?

Tim

Attached is part of my Winter Main Street. Just got the trolley going using Pybricks and a light/distance sensor to find the stops in the street.

Thank you for the link to the video. That looks great. I presume we could expand the track length so it could run a greater distance (not at Locomotion Weekend but for future displays).

John S
    Participant

Thanks all.

The hub is programmed for 3 stops right now and it uses the light/distance sensor to look for the colored tiles on its path. Those tiles can be moved anywhere without changing the code. It just keeps going until interrupted when it sees them.

It’s running at speed 2 right now. I agree I think it needs to be a little slower.

These roads have been my nightmare for a while. Different patterns, designs, adding track, removing track, adding it back in. I’ve worn out several brick separators removing road tiles haha. Hopefully this is it and I can move forward.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the custom fire station and church. The bus is not from a set is it?

Also, the use of the light sensor for the colored tiles is fantastic! and I agree with you that a slower speed would work even better.

Will McDine
    Participant

I really like the streets and the trolley track integration! Have toy tried messing with curves built into the street yet?

John S
    Participant

The trolley cane from The recent winter village set but is modified to incorporate the sensor. Half of the trolley was originally open seating but I closed the whole thing to help hide wires and sensors.

Corner tracks with my tiling style will never happen. Tried and failed. For now anyway the trolley will just run a straight line, eventually adding actual stations at the ends. I just ended them in the street to have a display ready for now.

Plan as I expand is to have a park in front of the road with skating and a city square feeling and roads will eventually turn around the center square. We’ll see what happens right?

Tim

One “easy” thing that could be done in a large display is to set your entire Main Street section at an angle. So even though the track would still run in a straight line, it would be at an angle to the viewer and thus create additional visual interest , especially with the Trolley running back and forth. Any gaps between the angled section and the rest of the display could be hidden with other buildings, trees, and landscaping.

Dan
    Participant

I enjoyed seeing this at the Science Center. The myriad squirrels are a nice detail 😁

John S
    Participant

Finally got some build time in after an almost Lego free summer :O

Working on the park across the street. I’m imagining a public square in the middle of the village. Still working out more paths in the park, additional items to fill some gaps and need to work on winterizing more of the buildings. Currently 7×3 baseplates.

The skaters do move with the power of magnets and a chain system under the ice. It’s freakin loud though. Anyone try to add grease to Lego motors/gears?

Attachments:
    John S
    Participant

Separate photos since it wouldn’t upload…

Attachments:
    John S
    Participant

One more…

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

The skaters do move with the power of magnets and a chain system under the ice. It’s freakin loud though. Anyone try to add grease to Lego motors/gears?

I’ve used WD-40 on the Incline car wheels/axles to eliminate squeaks and it’s worked pretty well. Haven’t tried it on gears or motors. Looking forward to seeing the skaters “in action”!

John S
    Participant

Video of ice skaters in action. Noisy!!

Tim

Very nice – thanks for the update! I like Batman at the concert. 😀

Bob Grier
    Participant

Nice touch with the Penguin!!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah I like the penguin too. Where’d the magnets come from?

As a GBCer, I can tell you that the solution to the noise problem is to add soccer balls, once they’re making a big racket, you won’t notice the sound of the motors anymore.

John S
    Participant

For those that didn’t see at International LEGO Day, I finally figured out how to incorporate a curved track for the tram running in my road. I then realized that if I’m going to continue to join the city layouts, that I might not know where my curve section needs to go. So in my overthinking, I’ve modularized my modular curve section!

Pictures and (very) quick video showing how easy it is to change intersection type and therefore road/track directions.

Attachments:
    John S
    Participant
    Tim

Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing the trolley run on the curve IRL.

Josh
    Keymaster

Oh wow. Much modular. So adaptable. That’s super clever.

John S
    Participant

Thank you. Prepared for anything..intersection related.

Dan
    Participant

Oh that’s pretty nifty!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar