Excited new member!

Home Forums Introductions Excited new member!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Smith
    Participant

Hello, everyone!

Almost two years ago, I bought a couple LEGO sets for my young child. He liked them enough that I bought some more, and we had so much fun together that I kept expanding our collection, though I should really say my collection since about 80% have been for myself. We’re currently at around 115k parts, heavily weighted toward Technic and Creator Expert sets which are far too challenging for my now-almost-six-year-old to build, but not for him to destroy.

We’re both very excited for the opening of the new LEGO store at the Ross Park Mall; we swung by and took a peek through a crack in the door/wall the other day, recognizing the Joker Manor set on display up front and the colorful pick-a-brick wall in the back. We’ll be swinging by again this weekend, and probably for the Grand Opening as well. 🙂

I’ve come across the LUG at least a couple times in 2017 at Brick Fest and the Children’s Festival (my son loves the derby races), but I didn’t have much interest in joining until now, as I don’t think I had come to terms with how much LEGO products were becoming integrated into my life’s leisure time. I may not be very creative with MOCs, but I do find that sorting/organizing parts is somewhat therapeutic. Plus, there’s no way I can hide my excitement about the LEGO store opening in the area.

Regards,
    Michael

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Welcome aboard! I am a set builder and sorter myself but I am dipping my toe in the MOC realm here and there. My 8 year old son randomly builds MOCs from parts he has and I need to take some queues from him! 😉 See you at the store this weekend!

Tom Frost
    Participant

Welcome Michael!

Paula
    Participant

Nice to meet you at the store! I hope you had fun!

Michael Smith
    Participant

We did; thanks, Paula! I was actually very surprised at how fun it was to pick a cup of bricks from the wall. I’m a little scared about returning and not being able to hold back from filling even more cups, but I guess, that’s the idea, right? 🙂

Rich Millich
    Participant

Set builders and sorters are equally welcome in the LUG, as there are so many different ways to enjoy the brick. We have a BIG inventory of parts for the club, redeemed quarterly based on activity, and we’re one of the few clubs nationwide that do this. Working with our inventory system might be of interest to you, as we give credit for sorting boxes of parts that we acquire.

As for MOCs, don’t be intimidated. Much like every single LEGO set seems to feature a new connection technique, every single LUG member has something unique to offer that can help you build your own desired genre and style. Since there’s a good chance that someone is already building in the same category that you want to, you won’t have to reinvent the wheel or buy parts you may not need.

The PaB wall is great, and almost always economical for the parts you want from it. I got 2×2 white corner plates, as these are twice as expensive to acquire on BrickLink as black. I also got a chunk of those 4×8 black plates and about 150 trans-yellow 1×1 round plates, as I was running low. I think building centered around plates gives me a more dense, option filled building style.

So! Technic and Expert Creator lines, huh? I love the Creator line, as these sets are usually VERY MOCable because of the five base LEGO colors they often come in (red, white, blue, black and yellow). I’m slowly moving into Technic for play functions, learning how to integrate Technic with the advanced System aesthetics I already have.

If there’s something you’re interested in, somebody else in the LUG is too. Please ask, and based on who’s around here, I can almost guarantee “I know somebody…”

Be sure to check the active threads list. We usually talk about events we’re asked to do, but there are also threads about events we do for ourselves, part swaps, LEGO news, that kind of thing. Look around, start your own thread.

Welcome!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar