flickr question

Home Forums Site Admin flickr question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tim

I uploaded 5 pics from Greenberg into the Steel City flickr account last Monday. They have yet to show up. I had been assuming that Josh had better things to do with his time right now 🙂 than clear the photos into the account. However, I am now beginning to wonder whether I made some mistake and the upload did not happen (the pics are in my personal flickr gallery). Just let me know whenever if I need to try to upload these again. Thanks!

Josh
    Keymaster

you’re all set. someone with mod/admin rights needs to approve them. Now, it’s you, evan, rich, me, matt, dan E, and Rodney.

Tim

OK, great. I knew that they had to be approved by a moderator but I was not 100% sure I had uploaded them correctly.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Mine are uploading; hopefully in the LUG group page by tomorrow morn.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I finally went thru my pics and weeded out the weak ones and processed the acceptable ones. I also uploaded them to flickr, which was a new experience for me – back in the old days (and by the old days I mean 2005 to 2008) I used brickshelf.com, and since then I have not had any internet-worthy photos.

I gave them some short descriptions where I could, and then I made them into a set. It’s 70 pics. They’re all 2000-wide in their original format. Even if I had admin priviledges, I don’t know how the pics are being transferred over to the SCL home page. I also don’t know if we really want all 70 of them here. But they’re all available for anybody who wants to move some or all of them over. You can see the set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/sets/72157637870433253/

(and if that doesn’t work, I’m Ben921 on flickr and it’s the only set there.)

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

And now I see that Matt got his uploaded here ahead of me. I just went through them, there’s a huge amount of overlap with my pics and he got some stuff that I missed. So you definitely won’t need all 70 pics. You might not need any, but you might find a couple you like. I’m still excited about my first flickr set, in case you can’t tell, whoop!

Josh
    Keymaster

lol, and i JUST through and invited a bunch. Feel free to ignore/deny the requests. Too many hands in the pot spoil the stew!

normally, I’d expect each member to add their own pics based on their own judgement of how good it is and how well it represents the displays. I dont think we’re too worried about flooding the flickr yet, but we do like some quality control.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Josh, I think it might be more complicated than that. The big question isn’t quality, but repetition. There’s a BrickCon photostream on flickr where anybody can post their BrickCon pics and it’s some 18000 pics dating back to 2008 and I’ve been going through them in reverse order for some two months now and the problem I see isn’t quality (although occassionally it is), but the fact that I’m seeing the same things over and over again. Every now and then I’ll see one of some cool detail that nobody else got, but mostly people take pics of the most noticeable stuff. On our display, of course Matt took pics of the Santa Factory and Evan’s SHIP just like I did. I’m seeing one of the main functions of the homepage flickr stream as getting people who are not currently part of SCL interested in joining. On the first full pic of Evan’s SHIP, they’re saying “that’s awesome.” On the twelfth, they’re saying “hmm, that looks familiar, this is getting boring” (sorry Evan).

Also less of an issue, but maybe worth considering, is the tendency for people to do extra photos of their own stuff. I tried to get as much as I could of everybody stuff, but I definitely wasn’t shy when it came to shooting my own stuff or putting it in the set, since it’s my flickr stream (and I did weed a whole bunch out, yes there were more). So that could lead to some flickr flooding too.

So I’m doing a good job here of being one of those people who complains about something but doesn’t have a solution. Cause I’m not sure what it is. Possibly have one person in charge of the official LUG photostream who goes through other members’ streams and selects the photo set. That’s a really time-consuming job though, and no, that’s not me volunteering either. But that’s all I got right now.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Josh, I did a quick run-through to see which pics you invited over to the pool. I’m gonna sit down later and compare each one to what’s already there, and that’ll take a bit of time, but I’ll get to it. Off the top of my head though, I saw several that I thought would be worth sending over, but I also saw several that I expect I’ll deny cause I’m pretty sure Matt’s already got it covered. Apparently Clarence, Compy, Crocman, and Lucky Jack did not make the cut.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here’s Ben again. I went through and did it. Matt had things covered pretty well, so if the request was for a pic that was even just generally similar to one he or Tim had posted, I declined the invitation. So I accepted six and axed the rest. Besides, if people are really interested in more, they can click to our own photostreams from the SCL stream easily enough.

Six pics is still enough for flickr to consider me a “top contributor” though, sweet!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, I don’t do it to step on others’ toes, but I do try to get a solid number of pics (and at least an overview of everything in the display, if not every detail – I do get close-ups of neat stuff like Josh’s tree cutter w/ footprints in the snow, etc.). Yinz are all welcome to take pics and contribute to the flickr stream, for sure.

Ben’s point regarding oversaturation is a good one, though – I tend to trim the fat a bit but still leave a lot of photos in the stream; would we prefer to keep the official SCLUG stream to a “top 10” from each display / event, and trust that people will know to click through to our individual sets if they want to see more?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

re: Top 10 from each display: That’s an interesting idea, I hadn’t thought of that and I could get behind that one, what does everybody else think? Again, somebody would have to make the decisions on which pics to use where and organize them.

Also, once you start repeating stuff in displays, you tend not to rephoto it. For example, at the Trolley Museum, I won’t need a close-up of the first and second floors of the Santa Factory, cause I got those last time. And if I do take a lot of pics of my own stuff for my own collection, I probably won’t post most of them to flickr cause I already covered them, and if I do, they won’t need to be sent over to SCL. I’ll definitely get some overall pics, some of the new stuff, the tall modulars, and some stuff I missed last time (I missed Josh’s treecutter too cause I’m lame), but it definitely won’t be 70 pics again, so that kind of thing should help keep pics down too.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Also, I’ve been getting an error on the SCL homepage since yesterday, it says ‘No such photos found!’ I’m not exactly sure how that thing works exactly, but presumably it means it can’t find the flickr stream for some reason.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

once you start repeating stuff in displays, you tend not to rephoto it.

Quite right; I’ll still include stuff in overview shots, but am less likely to take time for detailed shots if it’s been displayed before.

Also, I’ve been getting an error on the SCL homepage since yesterday, it says ‘No such photos found!’ I’m not exactly sure how that thing works exactly, but presumably it means it can’t find the flickr stream for some reason.

I don’t know about all that… any tech gurus around?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar