Gee, I wonder what Kevin & Cooper are building…

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Gee, I wonder what Kevin & Cooper are building…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

I often wonder that myself. If you find yourself in the same predicament, FEAR NOT! This thread is here to put your mind at ease.

Coop and I are usually found in a situation similar to the pic below–he builds while I locate the appropriate pieces, sneaking in a small part to build when he’s not looking.

(If this isn’t in the right place, please move it to the appropriate forum.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kevin
    Participant

With the new season of the Mandalorian coming out, we had to pick up this guy (called “Baby Carl” in our house) for the first episode. Carl now joins us every Friday for our viewing party.

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

I also recently finished the first of a multitude of new mosaics. I have a couple more that are very close to being completed.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Cool! Is this mosaic your own design?

Kevin
    Participant

Cool! Is this mosaic your own design?

Yes, all my mosaics are my own design. I start in Photobricks or Studio 2.0 and move that into Photoshop where I can change colors and lay out the plates I will need.

Tom Frost
    Participant

looks great!

Tim

Awesome! Love the Baby Yoda.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

That Ashoka mosaic is cool! I’d build that!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m subscribed, bee-tee-doubleyoo, I’m a big fan of this kind of thread. In case you’re not sure, yours is fourth (although really just the third) of this type. Greg’s was the original. I created mine almost entirely just to make fun of Greg (which is something we should never miss out on doing when the opportunity presents itself), but then after some time, when stopped posting to his, I nagged him to start again. Rich’s has also been around for awhile, his is the one with long posts but almost no photos, so you’re already way ahead of him in the pics department. And you’re ahead of me, cause mine contains essentially no updates, for a variety of reasons.

I’m looking forward to seeing this one continue. Ideally everybody in the LUG will have a thread like this someday.

Kevin
    Participant

Today, Cooper bought his first set, strictly for the pieces…I’m so proud.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

What set? You can’t just not tell us that, sheesh. And what’d he build with the pieces he got?

Kevin
    Participant

What set? You can’t just not tell us that, sheesh. And what’d he build with the pieces he got?

It’s the $10 Spider-Man mech set. He hasn’t built anything he wants to share quite yet.

Rich Millich
    Participant

A MOCable set. Good thinking, Coop.

Kevin
    Participant

I finally finished my mosaic overload. I may have been binge-watching Clone Wars a while back…

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

These too.

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

I finished these guys too!

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

I ended up building a train platform to put under the Christmas tree and ended up with three separate train lines. I finished building Papaglop’s Hoth Shield Generator MOC and threw it in the middle. I figured the AT-AT would be a good add. Coop decided to decorate it too. The new Elf Clubhouse is in the corner just below the pic–I think it’s my new favorite build.

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

I also decided to splurge on this guy since it’s from my favorite movie.

Attachments:
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I like that shield generator! I’ll have to look up that designer.

P.S. that’s a lot of 1×1 plates! Are those all baseplate size? So 1024 plates each?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Kevin
    Participant

I like that shield generator! I’ll have to look up that designer.

I found this particular MOC here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-39220/papaglop/echo-base-shield-generator/

P.S. that’s a lot of 1×1 plates! Are those all baseplate size? So 1024 plates each?

If you are referring to the mosaics, I used whatever-sized piece(s) best fit the spot that needed filled. They are all on 48×48 baseplates.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I finally finished my mosaic overload.

I’m looking at the STAR WARS mosaics and it overloads my brain that you have that many plates in that array of colors!

I would like to do a mosaic of Olaf from Frozen but my new Mac operating system is not allowing use of the programs I tried, including STUD.IO I’ve tried some programs online but the designs they generated might not be worth the effort. (see below)

Could it be a problem with the original image? Should I try something different?

Attachments:
    Kevin
    Participant

I’m looking at the STAR WARS mosaics and it overloads my brain that you have that many plates in that array of colors!

I had a few, but that mostly lots and lots and lots of Bricklink orders. I think I only used 15 or so different colors. Photobricks doesn’t exactly have the largest color pallette.

I would like to do a mosaic of Olaf from Frozen but my new Mac operating system is not allowing use of the programs I tried, including STUD.IO I’ve tried some programs online but the designs they generated might not be worth the effort. (see below)

Could it be a problem with the original image? Should I try something different?

If the attached image is the exact one you were using, it may that the image is too small. When I downloaded it, it was rather tiny. What size mosaic are you looking to build? 32×32? 48×48? Something larger?

I played around with a similar image to the one you attached. This one is the best I could come up with a fairly quick turnaround. It’s 48×48. Olaf is tough because it’s really hard to get the subtleties of the shading with a limited set of colors.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was actually trying for a 48×48 image and its surprising how tricky such a simple subject can be. You have a good point about the shading of a white subject, perhaps I need to start adding in very light gray,

The original image I was working with is from a Disney website and it is the first picture attached to this message.

The thumbprint / 2nd image in my previous email was created by another program, maybe the one made by Adam W (@awarb) and I have included an enlarged version this time.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Blue tones work better to depict snow and ice artistically.

I favor the dithering in the first Olaf pic that Greg posted. I was into pixel art for a while (my icon is taken from my own pixel artwork), and I think dithering is the key solution to me, which is a gradient of density in pixels of differing colors that creates the illusion of a smoother gradient. Using that first Olaf pic, it’s a matter of using sparse dithering of light blue among white, along the contour of the face, and making it more dense. Several contour lines need to be defined. Starting with white, the dithering becomes the next color along the next contour line from temple to cheek to jaw, then the next color begins sparse dithering to a darker shade as the shadow increases. The other pics show that a much darker blue is required than one would like in order to set the boundary around the head, assuming a cold environment for Olaf.

Thankfully, the range of blue in LEGO is quite large. perhaps moreso than any other color in the spectrum. The problem then becomes part availability in some of these shades.

TL/DR; Pixel art techniques are the best answer.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Rich Millich.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Kevin
    Participant

Cooper has a new Brickhead he built posted on Instagram @CoopBuilds. He is VERY proud of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar