Science Center Displays 2023

Home Forums LUG discussions Science Center Displays 2023

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bob Grier
    Participant

As mentioned during the Q4 meeting, we’re in the process of changing out the displays at the Science Center. We got confirmation/approval on two of the displays yesterday and will be changing those out on January 31st. One is an Andy Warhol MOC that @tfdesigns and @joshhall built, and the other is a model of the Science Center that I built. I’ve attached pictures so you can see what they look like.

We had planned to put one of @tfdesigns LEGO Guitars in as the third display, but the Science Center has decided to pass on that one since their recent exhibit on Guitars is no longer in the building. So that means that we now have a spot open, and we’re opening it up to members who may have a MOC that they want to put in there. Couple of things to note:

* The display case is 29 1/2″ wide x 29 1/2″ deep x 34 1/4″ high.
    * It has clear plexiglass on 3 sides and on the top, and has a solid back.
    * Typically, they have asked for Pittsburgh themed items, but that’s not a requirement.
    * Trademarked items (like Star Wars) are typically frowned upon.
    * The current MOC’s have been in there since May 2021, so expect it will be there for at least 6 months and probably a year.
    * The Science Center will get final approval on what goes in.
    * They prefer that the displays get installed on a day they’re not open, which is Tuesday’s.

So, if you have a MOC that you want to submit for consideration, reply to this topic and attach a picture. If it’s one that you haven’t completed yet, let me know anyways. Couple of ideas to get you thinking:

* They will be opening a new exhibit on “Vikings, Warriors of the North Sea” in February, so something Viking themed like a ship or village (or both) would probably be welcomed.
    * They recently opened a Mars exhibit, so something that could be tied to that would be appropriate.
    * Josh has a 10″ x 10″ diorama of Mr. Rogers Living Room, which by itself is too small but could be combined with other dioramas to fill the display case.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

It took me way too long to figure out that the Warhol mosaic an the Campbell’s Soup Can are two sides of the same build. I kept thinking ‘Bob wrote this long post and didn’t mention the Soup Can at all, what’s up with that?’

Josh
    Keymaster

Bob, the expanded CSC is amazing. You’re very good at what you do!

I would definitely love to see something new in the space, but I had the thought last night that it’s been over a year since the pens jersey was taken out…and even then, it was only in during limited capacity covid era…if they want that again, I’d be up for it…since they had a bit of a changing of the guard anyway, I might even suggest we don’t even lead with telling them it was already displayed there. What say you?

Bob Grier
    Participant

@joshhall, I’d say let’s give it the weekend to see if anyone wants to propose something new, and if not then by all means lets submit the Pens Jersey for their consideration. It has the advantages of being Pittsburgh themed and can be ready to install with the others on the 31st.

Can you post a picture of it, like maybe when you had it displayed at the LEGO Store? The only ones I have are from when it was at the Science Center before. Thanks.

Dan
    Participant

I like your architectural builds Bob. The CSC is great, but shouldn’t the parking lot be totally full? 😉

And I like the soup can Josh & Tom!

Josh
    Keymaster

@joshhall, I’d say let’s give it the weekend to see if anyone wants to propose something new, and if not then by all means lets submit the Pens Jersey for their consideration. It has the advantages of being Pittsburgh themed and can be ready to install with the others on the 31st.

Can you post a picture of it, like maybe when you had it displayed at the LEGO Store? The only ones I have are from when it was at the Science Center before. Thanks.

Attachments:
    Kyle2022
    Participant

I came up with a rocket display Based on Bob Grier’s dimensions. not exactly pittsburgh themed I would have to wait till after the Ross Park Mall to build the base

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

Thanks @kyle2022, that looks great!! Looking forward to seeing these again at Ross Park Mall this weekend!!

We’ll be submitting a couple of options to the Science Center later this week, and then they get to select which one they want. Once an option is picked, then we would work out a mutually agreeable install date. Typically, they like us to do it on a Tuesday when they’re closed to the public.

The install on January 31st is for the Andy Warhol and Science Center models. Once we submit the third option and they make their selection, we’ll set up another install date sometime in February, so there will be time for you to build a base if yours is the one they pick.

Kyle2022
    Participant

Awesome sound great, hope to hear from you soon on this. I cannot wait to see you and everyone this weekend it is going to be epic

Bob Grier
    Participant

New displays were installed at the Science Center this morning. Pics are below, and more will be in the Gallery shortly.

In addition to @rcgrier3406’s Science Center model, and The Warhol Soup Can/Mosaic model by @tfdesigns and @joshhall, the Science Center selected the Firefighter Display by @willmcdine, @nkurta0505 and @legoman270.

Attachments:
    Tim

pens jersey

Time to create a reverse retro Robopen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar