Greenburg’s Train Show: 2/26/22 – 2/27/22

Home Forums LUG discussions Greenburg’s Train Show: 2/26/22 – 2/27/22

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

I came across this by accident. Is this the same one we’ve done before?

https://www.trainshow.com/

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yes. The website looks different to me from how I remember it, I recall for years visiting a site that was Greenberg’s train shows and nothing else, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. But it suggests to me that maybe the Greenberg’s Show acquired or merged with other groups or sold out to a larger managing company, they made it clear on their site the last two years that the pandemic was hard on them, especially when shows were canceled after they’d already spent money preparing for them. I don’t know where the Greenberg’s name comes from, it is not related to Greensburg in Westmoreland County. (I did some more looking around on the internet after I typed this, and historical information on Greenberg’s is proving difficult to find. The ‘about’ section of trainshow.com simply lists Greenberg’s as one of their many brands around the country.)

As far as I can remember, they’ve always done a February-July-November schedule in Monroeville. We did the November show, and put a lot of effort into it, every year from 2013 to 2019. The general consensus when it came up was that once a year was enough to keep us busy, and that we didn’t need to worry about the other shows. We nonetheless did the July 2015 show, and maybe one other July show, I can’t remember for sure. I’m almost positive we’ve never done a February show.

Tim

We also did the February show and the July show each at least once. But the November show was the primary one for us (we’d go from Greenberg’s to Cranberry First Night to Winter Trolley – made for a busy November).

The website has looked like that for at least 1-2 years. I can’t remember exactly when they updated it but that is the site I’ve been looking at for some time now. So you do have the correct website @knb112.

Krista K

@timf I know we missed November last year. It doesn’t look like they have the full schedule out for the rest of the year. Hopefully, they’ll add on those July and November shows.

I’m just thinking that if anyone was interested, that’s not a whole lot of time to pull together. Not impossible though. 😊

Tim

There is also a good probability that they do not have any display space left. That is what happened last November. By the time the show was on the website and I applied, they were out of space. Hopefully, they’ve gotten their act together now and will be listing shows more in advance.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I don’t think having their act together was the problem. It was that they got burned several times when they spent money preparing for and promoting shows that were then canceled as a result of decisions made outside their control (meaning the venues canceled or were forced to cancel because of the pandemic situation). I think it was last August or September when I saw that on the site, they made it clear that such cancellations were a financial burden that they could not easily afford, and that as a result, they were not going to schedule any show unless it could essentially be guaranteed that the show wouldn’t be canceled, even if it meant waiting til the eleventh hour to do so.

Krista K

That’s a tough balance to strike, between promoting shows and getting displayers. It isn’t even up on their Facebook page yet, which just seems odd for this kind of event. I’m guessing it’s going to be a small attendance all around.

Will McDine
    Participant

I am out for the 26th due to work. Depending on show times I may be able to make an appearance late on the 27th. I can also send trucks out with someone who is going.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> We also did the February show and the July show each at least once.

What year did we do one in Feb? I only vaguely remember that, and I certainly wasn’t there.

After I thought about it, I realized that in addition to July 2015, we also did July 2018, cause I was at that one.

Tim

I don’t think having their act together was the problem.

I did not mean to come across so harshly and I was not blaming Greenberg’s. Thank you for taking me to task, Ben. 🙂 I certainly understand the difficult balancing act they are likely needing to perform. Hopefully by at least this fall, things can settle down a bit more and the timelines can be lengthened to allow for us to commit to the November show again.

What year did we do one in Feb? I only vaguely remember that, and I certainly wasn’t there.

I don’t recall exactly as I did not participate either (I’ve only ever done the November shows and one of the July shows). It was at least 4-5 years ago.

Josh
    Keymaster

‘member that one time Tim almost fought a guy?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> ‘member that one time Tim almost fought a guy?

Heh heh, that one never gets old, high five.

However, I also remember, and in fact I think it was just earlier at the same event – November 2013 – where we arrived Friday evening to set up and then discovered that the Monroeville people had screwed up and not given us any table space on the map. Me n Greg were both so cranky about it that we were ready to pull the plug on the whole thing even though the LUG had put considerable effort into preparing for it, so we walked around the venue while Tim patiently negotiated and sorted things out with the Monroeville people until it was established where our tables were gonna go.

Tim

But we made up minutes later and he was always super nice to us after that. He passed away back in 2019 I believe. I am completely at a loss for his name but RIP. He was a good guy.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> But we made up minutes later and he was always super nice to us after that. He passed away back in 2019 I believe.

I didn’t know that, I’m sorry to hear that. I do remember seeing you two being extremely friendly at subsequent events.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

yeah, I ‘memba!

Tim

I believe his name was Ralph.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar