Greetings LEGO Yinzers

Home Forums Introductions Greetings LEGO Yinzers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Bowser
    Participant

Howdily doodily Steel City LUG,

I’m Tyler Bowser. No, I am of no relation to the owner of a local car dealership or a large angry turtle.
    I first learned of the LUG a few years back when I was watching some beyond the brick videos. Most of their content is AFOL/LUG collabs, so this got me wondering if there was a LUG near me. At the time, I was still too young to join. Fast-forward 3ish yrs; I saw the Pitt logo in the Peterson events center lobby and one of your collabs on my Triple Force Fri excursion to RP mall, so I decided to take action. This is my first semester as a Pitt Greensburg student and AFROTC cadet. AFROTC requires that I drive to Pittsburgh from Greensburg 3-4 times per week. The good thing about the commute is that I’m usually somewhere near Pittsburgh, so hopefully I’d be able to make a LUG event some time. Can’t wait to learn more about the LUG.

Tim

Sounds great, Tyler. Welcome. Hope you can get out to some events and meetings.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Well obviously the Greensburg Train Show is one of our yearly big events, and that’s happening very soon, so that’s a good place to start, if only to help staff and learn how we put these big events together that the LUG revolves around.

There are also some smaller things to do, including organizing your own build day get togethers, trades, trips to the LEGO store or other stores with great deals, combined orders of parts through BrickLink, and brainstorming ideas for builds and layouts.

Dan
    Participant

Hello Tyler! Welcome to the LUG! Anything you like to build on particular?

Tyler Bowser
    Participant

Hi Tim, Rich, and Dan!
    The Greenberg train display is definitely on my radar. I’ll do my best to make it. Is there anything in general or particular that I should bring if I go? Also, what does the schedule for this event look like?

As far as my building preferences, I most recently have been making small micro-scale space ships in hopes of amassing a fleet. However, as most projects go, the majority of mine are largely works in progress. I’m not that picky, but I do seem to be drawn towards sci-fi builds. Unfortunately, I don’t have a whole lot of pieces available at the moment; Hence the small builds. A sizable amount of my parts have been sitting in storage bins for the greater part of the last decade. I hope to upgrade my storage/ sorting system this year.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

as most projects go, the majority … are largely works in progress.

Ain’t it the truth!

Of course, Greenberg’s is not in Greensburg, but we hope it is CBDR on your screen. 🙂

Dan
    Participant

Cool! I mostly build spacey stuff as well. Blacktron & M-Tron are probably my two favorite themes.

Greenberg’s is November 9-10 (setup evening of the 8th) at the Monroeville Convention Center. Setup is 5pm-? and public hours are 10-4 both days. We normally arrive up to an hour earlier to get situated. Teardown is usually 1-2 hours max. The link to the thread is http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/greenbergs-train-show-november-9-10-2019/

Will McDine
    Participant

Welcome Tyler! Can’t wait to see your work. I hope you have a good time with us!

Rich Millich
    Participant

A microscale fleet?! I instantly envision a couple of baseplates of greebled up city below, maybe some runways and miniature landing pads, and this fleet flying overhead in formation. Microscale ships open up MUCH larger builds that minifig scale just can’t, because it would be too costly to depict things at that scale. Microscale is something I always wanted to try. Hey, I think some of us have those planets from the Star Wars line, and some of those are generic enough that they could work…

Microscale fleets are something I haven’t seen outside of Mobile Frame Zero, the tabletop custom miniatures game where the ‘Mechs (and later, ships), are all done in LEGO. Microscale and a small collection go together well. As a Spacer, I’m interested in what your central ships might be!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar