Hello!

Home Forums Introductions Hello!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hi everybody!

My name is RJ Thompson, lifelong LEGO-fan, graphic designer, and university professor. Just wanted to say hello and get acquainted with the site and its members. [great use of Buddypress/Wordpress by the way]

I’m not particularly skilled at developing mosaics or sculptures of any sort, my primary interests lie in LEGO City, but I also like a number of sub-brands. I enjoy doing original city buildings, vehicles, and building large cityscapes โ€“ similar to those on display at LEGO KidsFest, but nowhere near that scale.

LEGO is a hobby that, on account of my profession, I have not had a whole lot of time to fully become immersed in, nor meet other folks [aside from younger members of my family] that are interested in LEGO. I frequently post about LEGO on Facebook, much to the amusement of my past/present/future students โ€“ all of whom get a kick out of some of the stuff that I find. It’s also an expensive hobby [at times], and my cache of bricks pales in comparison to probably all of you.

I credit my parents buying me LEGOs at a very early age and engaging me in building anything/everything that, ultimately, I feel, has greatly shaped me into the creative professional that I am โ€“ I am a graphic, web, & interactive designer, I teach graphic & interactive design at YSU, and I also build iOS apps!

Thanks everyone!

Josh
    Keymaster

Welcome, RJ! Definitely in need of some city builders. Were you talking the modular building scale or just the CITY sets?

Could have used your design work on the logo…and the website! Thanks for the complement though. The site is thrown together at this point, but I’m always tinkering and welcome any feedback and work you’d offer ๐Ÿ˜€

How close are you to the burgh if you’re teaching at YSU?

Josh
    Keymaster

funny, just pulled you up on facebook – we have 2 mutual friends, Bernie Wilke (goes to my church) and Amy Wohar (went to the same school and also a friend of Matt Redfield’s)

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Modular Buildings/City Sets โ€“ either/or really. I enjoy both.

I’ll be on semester break here in about a week โ€“ would love to help any way I can. Here’s some lego inspired design work I did a few years back โ€“ I love when clients pay me to buy legos.

http://www.whatiszola.com/items/rock-the-streets/

I live in Bellevue โ€“ about an hour from Youngstown. It’s a smooth ride โ€“ I used to have to commute from PGH to Edinboro, PA [and back] 4 times a week โ€“ that’s 200 miles in one day. Never again.

Definitely add me to Facebook! Bernie and I do a lot of volunteering together…and he’s just an overall awesome dude. I haven’t seen Amy in years, we were both in undergrad together.

OH โ€“ the little concert hall I built for that project…I submitted it to Visit Pittsburgh and won VIP passes to LegoFest last year.

Josh
    Keymaster

I’m not seeing any pics of the concert hall…am i missing it?

RJ Thompson
    Participant

It’s a stage — like Stage AE kind of, not a concert hall per se — did Flickr load for you?

Josh
    Keymaster

ah! I was at work, so no, the flickr page did not load! “I SEE, I SEE!”, said the blind man to the deaf dog!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar