Hi Everyone!

Home Forums Introductions Hi Everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Travis
    Participant

Hi everyone!

My name is Travis and I am only recently returning to LEGO in the last few years. I am from the western PA area originally, but spent the last 7 years living in Houston, TX where I actually attended some get-togethers of the Houston branch of the TexLUG LEGO group. I was so excited to learn Pittsburgh also had a LUG, now that I have moved back to the area.

LEGO was a huge part of my childhood in the 90s, with some of my favorite sets being the castle and space themes, as well as some of the aquazone and adventurer themed sets. Recently, I got back into LEGO because of all the DC comics brand LEGO (I’m a huge comics nerd) as well as some of the Star Wars sets and the collectible minifig series. I also really enjoyed putting together the expert modular sets that have come out each year.

Some questions that come to mind….Do you have regular in-person meetings? I tried to look up some recent meeting notes but didn’t see anything and didn’t see any upcoming events/get-togethers on the calendar, so maybe I’m just not looking in the right place. Should I use the facebook or website for keeping up on events? What are some good resources for “beginners” or “returning LEGO enthusiasts” that you recommend?

I’m really excited to meet you guys at the next function you all have!

Take care!

Travis D.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hi Travis, and welcome. The group is still very active, but traditionally Jan-Mar has been the slowest period of the year. To get started, I would recommend this thread – we have quarterly meetings, and we’re working on sorting out the exact date of the first-quarter meeting for 2020:

2020 Q1 meeting

Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Travis,

welcome! the handbook should answer a lot of questions you might have – http://steelcitylug.com/handbook

I’ll forward you the january newsletter as well.

Travis
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome and the information! I’ll check the handbook out and keep my eyes peeled for the January newsletter.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Superhero, City, and modular building sets go together pretty well, huh…

I like the idea of superheroes winding up working alongside regular figs in different environments, as City did “go” into the mountains, the swamps, the Arctic, and even to a volcano recently.

The arena is wide open to match up a biome with a superhero or their enemy for a great looking diorama.

What do you think, @tjd212?

Travis
    Participant

I 100% agree with you @zaximillian.

To be honest, I’m working on unpacking my LEGO at the moment and trying to figure out what I have in a somewhat salvageable state post-move from TX. Luckily, I tore down three of my expert modular sets into storage containers and over the last few days have been rebuilding those as a start to my own LEGO city display. This city is bound to be full of superheroes getting into interesting situations!

I was super into the volcano-related sets when they came out, or at least into the idea of them. I never actually purchased any but I totally could see those sets being a perfect lair for a supervillain!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Travis, where did you land in Western PA? Also, if you want to build a volcano, I have some instructions I can send to you. Most LUG members have only seen it in a dormant state, covered by vegetation, until NOW!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Travis
    Participant

Hey @greg, I’m living in Mars, PA currently. My hometown is near Indiana, PA which is where all my family is now. How about you? Know any folks in the Mars/Cranberry area in the LUG?

And sure if you want to send me the instructions that would be awesome!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Know any folks in the Mars/Cranberry area in the LUG?

I think Tim and Micah live in Cranberry.

Tim

Know any folks in the Mars/Cranberry area in the LUG?

Welcome to the LUG. Yes, I live in Cranberry (near the Waterpark). Jim lives in northern Allegheny County not too far from the Butler County line. So Mars is just a stone’s throw away. Plus, @philmatt24 #PointfortheNorth! [Ob. Background: there is a good-natured, long-running rivalry as to how many members live in the North Hills and how many live in the South Hills. So score another point for the North!]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar