Hi there!

Home Forums Introductions Hi there!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Hello, my name’s Laura (if that wasn’t obvious).  I’m a secondary school teacher from Pittsburgh, although I am currently living in Central PA for my job.  I have been a huge LEGO fan since I was 5.  My brother and I bought, begged and bartered for every LEGO set we received as children.  Nowadays it’s not quite that dramatic, but it’s still great fun to just go to the store and stare at the shelves for a few minutes every time I visit.

I have always loved building with LEGOS, and the challenges and rewards building brings.  I love pretty much all LEGO themes although a few stand out, such as Castle, Pirates, Star Wars, & Town.  Lately my focus has been on town and creating LEGO train displays, since I am very interested in trains and (even more so) trolleys.  For the past couple of years I have had the chance to set up my display for a Christmas layout at the Museum where I volunteer and really love having it up for others to look at and enjoy.

I saw AFOL groups’ displays set up at LEGO Kidsfest in 2012 and 2013 and decided I really wanted to join one close to home.  Now that summer is coming and I will be in Pittsburgh, it’s giving me the kick I need to come and say hi.  So Hi!

Josh
    Keymaster

Hi Laura!  welcome, and thanks for introducing yourself!

I’m confused…currently living in central pa, but coming back to pittsburgh for just the summer?  What is it that you do?

If you were at kidsfest, you’ve seen penn lug, and they have a killer train setup.  We’re still figuring out what we all do in steel city lug, but so far, we’re all great individual artists and we’re learning how to play well with one another in the group builds we’ve been doing for the Cranberry library.

Feel free to jump in where you feel comfortable and start leading whatever it is you think others would enjoy!

Laura
    Participant

I’m a school teacher, but the job market around Pittsburgh was pretty slow so I had to seek employment elsewhere.  I teach in central PA but come home most weekends to see my family and friends, all of whom live in & around Pittsburgh.  I will be in the Pittsburgh area for the vast majority the summer holiday.  I’m really hoping to find a job near home in the next couple of years.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey Laura, in what school district and what subject(s) do you teach?   Most other LEGO builder teachers that I know teach Math.

Laura
    Participant

I teach technology education, which is formerly industrial arts or ‘shop’.  I teach primarily computer aided drafting and design as well as an introduction to technology and engineering class that uses STEM concepts to teach students problem solving processes that engineers use to solve problems.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I teach technology education, which is formerly industrial arts or ‘shop’.  I teach primarily computer aided drafting and design as well as an introduction to technology and engineering class that uses STEM concepts to teach students problem solving processes that engineers use to solve problems.

That’s fantastic!   CAD is the field my 10th grade son wants to pursue.  Have you ever used LEGO Digital Designer?  Its a free building program, which I assume is much like CAD.  I don’t know anything about CAD, I teach Biology and Physics at Fox Chapel.

Laura
    Participant

Yes Josh I saw PennLUG’s display, the trains are fantastic!  I saw them there in 2012 and this last time, along steel city’s display, it was all amazing.   I really would like to come to a meeting.  Would there be anything I would need to bring?

Tim

You can bring any MOC or other Lego related items you want but you do not have to.  On June 1, we will be installing the DIG display at the Cranberry Library (see thread here: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/group-build-underground-theme/) starting at 10:00 am and then having a LUG meeting.  Hope to see you there!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

CAD is rad.  Just not AutoCAD.  I’m a SolidWorks junkie…

Welcome!

Laura
    Participant

I used solidworks in college and really liked it.  Havemt gotten much experience since because my district  just has the auto desk license so we have autoCAD, Inventor and Revit.  I really enjoy working with inventor

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Indeed, we use what our companies provide.  I was on Inventor for a few years and it was not bad – really the major difference is getting used to the icons.  But SW is still better.  :p

I just get frustrated with AutoCAD because I never had training, so it feels cumbersome to accomplish anything by poking around and trying to remember typed commands and whatnot.  Plus, you can’t spin your models like you can in 3D!

Laura
    Participant

Ya, my uncle is a machinist at IBM and he raves about how great SW is. I recently got a free trial version of it I just haven’t installed it yest. I’d really like to try it out more.

Josh
    Keymaster

…so you come home most weekends…any chance you’ll be making an appearance this weekend at the children’s festival?  We could use a few extra people for coverage for breaks and such.  Could be a nice time to get to know everyone and see us in action!

Laura
    Participant

Josh wrote:
    …so you come home most weekends…any chance you’ll be making an appearance this weekend at the children’s festival? We could use a few extra people for coverage for breaks and such. Could be a nice time to get to know everyone and see us in action!

I volunteer at the PA Trolley Museum and Washington and we are having our spring merit badge workshop on Saturday so I won’t be able to make it then. I might be able to come out Sunday, just have to see what the traffic situation is like.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar