I'm going to buy some JEGS organizers

Home Forums Off Topic I'm going to buy some JEGS organizers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

anyone want any?  Could save on shipping.

They’re MAYBE slightly less quality than the stanley cases, but they’re a little more dynamic with their compartments.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/W54037/10002/-1

related rant: http://sixf00t4.com/2012/08/why-ill-never-shop-at-lowes-again/

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’d take a few.  Already feel like the Stanleys I bought aren’t going to be enough.  Maybe 2 or 3 for now… you know I’m good for the dollaz…

Zemata
    Participant

I highly recommend poking around at harbor freight tools before buying those.  The one near century III has many organizers like this and the store is pretty cheap.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have found a lot of clear plastic containers that work for me – pretzel barrels, for example.  I don’t like spending my LEGO money on containers.  🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

Evan, matt stopped in to harbor freight. We were less than impressed with anything there.

greg, BUT WE LIKE ORDER AND EVERYTHING MATCHY MATCHY. 🙂

I’m pulling the trigger tonight I think. Matt, 2? 3?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The containers I saw were certainly cheap, but also substantially smaller than the ones Josh is buying / that we already have.

I mean, to each his own, right?  But Josh and I share the same mild OCD tendencies, that’s for sure.  And it’s definitely easier to build if you spend 10 seconds finding the 1×2 plate tray, instead of 10 minutes digging through a bin or pile hoping to unearth the dark bluish gray 1×2 plate you need.  Then again, that requires putting forth the advance sorting time/effort…

Josh
    Keymaster

ZOMG ANSWER THE QUESTION

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Whoops.

Three.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

ZERO for me, thanks.   Later I will post a photo of the containers I got for FREE that will make you cry.  🙂

Zemata
    Participant

Sorry you guys didn’t find anything you liked out there.  Hope it wasnt too far out of your way.   I grabbed a few of the smaller suitcase style organizers for about $2 each there for my 1×1 plates and cheese.  Other than that my organizers and drawers consist of the big white ones from Walmart and the smaller Stack On drawers from Loews or Home Depot.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

These are petri dishes that are about 10 inches square, made of clear sturdy plastic.  Researchers use them once and throw them away – they cost $10 each new.  The petri dishes are awesome for small pieces because they are thin so the parts inside don’t pile up / hide underneath each other.  But you can see what’s in them from the top, side or bottom.

Several years ago, TLC asked for input from AFOL’s about what they thought was ideal for storage.  I raved about these petri dishes, but I guess TLC had to make some compromises and created the multi-colored suitcase things that latch closed instead.  My petri dishes have ridges which allow a small degree of interlocking when they stack, but they do not latch closed.  Probably a poor design for kids.  

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

I hope those were steralized after they were used by the researchers.  😀

Seriously, they do look great for holding small pieces.  I have been searching for some time for a good storage system.  I would love to find a tip bin system (Northern Hardware has some but they are ungodly expensive).  I currently use Lego Blue Tubs (like from tub 3033) for all my standard brick, clear shoeboxes for specialty pieces, and hardware drawers for small specialty pieces.  The tubs stack nice but gets messy and crowded when I am working with multiple colors.

I was thinking of getting some of the sliding clear drawers from Walmart/Target but I need drawers with sturdy internal dividers (do those have good internal dividers?).  I am also considering building a custom storage system.

Doug
    Participant

Speaking of storage systems, I’ve bought a bunch of great storage furniture for my Lego from IKEA. I have a discount there if we ever wanna buy something for the LUG, or if individuals just want to buy something, I’d be happy to take your money and buy it for you at a cheaper price.

Josh
    Keymaster

and I’d be happy just to take your money.

I’m thinking we need a thread where people post pics of their storage. Who’s going first?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

These guys win at LEGO storage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dM_VjMACcmI#t=27s

#CaptainObvious

Zemata
    Participant

The quote function won’t work for me on our forum.  Dunno why.

Doug I’d love to take you up on your Ikea discount offer.  I assume the model Ikea was your doing?

Josh I would start us a storage showoff and methodology thread but I’m actually just wrapping up the large task of sorting the last of my dark ages tub.  It won’t be until Friday night that I can buy the more drawers I need and document my strategy with photos for you all.   If someone else wants to start a thread be my guest.

Tim

I would love to have some of those drawers with the built in separators.  One or two draws for each color brick would be sweet!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar