I'm new here…

Home Forums Introductions I'm new here…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John S
    Participant

Hi everyone, new member here. I’m John. I’m just getting back into Lego after a very long break. My daughter has started getting into Lego, so we’re just having fun together.

New to the Pittsburgh area, relocated end of 2017. Excited to join the group here!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hi John, welcome to the group. You should read the Q3 Business meeting thread, it’s coming up and it’ll be a good opportunity to meet a lot of people.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Welcome, John! Hope to meet you at an event real soon!

Cheating a bit because you’re the third person to start an intro thread this month (and sadly, Fayette County Fair was this past weekend so that one’s no longer an option), but I’ll still refer you to this recent post for a couple upcoming events you could attend to get to know people! You can also check out the AFOL day this weekend at the local LEGO store! A bunch of our members will likely be shopping there…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Where did you move from and where are you located now?

Rich Millich
    Participant

What do you build?
    * We have set builders, who like building official LEGO sets or lines such as Pirates, Castle, or more specific, such as the Harry Potter line. We also have custom builders in a wide variety of sizes from architecture to microscale. We have builders who like differing styles, like City/Town, Space, Train, Police/Fire/EMT, mosaics, Great Ball Contraptions, Technic, and more.

What’s the size of your current collection of parts?
    * We have a broad variety of ways to acquire parts, and I believe we are one of the very few LUGs in the world with a club store of bricks to be used for both individual and collaborative projects. We have differing sorting and storage standards that might help you and your daughter keep parts immediately available.

Do you have any sets or custom builds done now?
    * We like seeing new styles and approaches to building, even in sets we haven’t individually paid attention to. Even among set builders, being unique creative types, everyone sees LEGO in a different light. We also often use sets and custom builds in the displays we do for others, and this is a quick and easy way to collaborate with others and meet people in a more relaxed environment.

What would you like to try building?
    * Even six 2×4 LEGO bricks can be connected in literally millions of different ways. This is even more true of themes, styles and methods that “shouldn’t” go together, but wind up becoming something new and cool. Mingle! You’d be surprised at what knowledge, tools, and support that different members have to offer.

I’ll close by saying that the LEGO fandom is unique among all that I have been a part of, because it actively resists elitism of any kind. There is no “true way” to do anything, and it’s such a level playing field that adult fans can learn from and be inspired by the kids who make up 95% of LEGO’s business.

Don’t be afraid to bring it, whether it’s builds, parts, or excitement.
    Welcome, and leg godt!

John S
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I’m restarting my collection from scratch. Lost all of my childhood sets due to a family situation.

I used to have a bit of everything, City, Space (Blacktron), several technic sets, and the metroliner set. Sets usually stayed together for a short time, but most, separate from the train and technic, ended up in a big bin to work from. Many fond memories of huge space battles with my friend almost all the time.

Currently I’ve become interested with the micropolis standard. Just starting to mess around and see what I can do.

A lot of times I’m working of suggestions from my daughter when she’s creating challenges for us to do together.

Looking forward to learning and playing. Maybe we’ll get up to the store this Saturday.

Thanks all, John.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Blacktron. You hear that, @randomdan?

Micropolis is something that @hacim is into and does very well. That’s another member to talk to.

As for building with and being inspired by your kid, @tfdesigns does this a lot with “Small Frost”, who is fun to have around. Small Frost has built MOCs for me, and built a minifig scale sand castle that blew away my idea.

City/Town is pretty popular in this LUG, and we have a fistful of Spacers too, myself included.

I might get out to the Store myself this Saturday morning, as I need a breakaway adventure. I might see you there, as the store opens early for us that day. Maybe I will see you there!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

A lot of times I’m working of suggestions from my daughter when she’s creating challenges for us to do together.

This is definitely the best route to pursue!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Welcome to da Burgh LUG!

Rich Millich
    Participant

Huge space *microscale* battles? Hmmmmmmmm? 😀

Dan
    Participant

Welcome! I rebuilt my collection during/after college – mostly eBay and Bricklink. Sets are fun, but MOCs are what I’ve moved towards!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar