In Progress: Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Home Forums MOCs In Progress: Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Oh, but also, the reason I brought up the ladder… I’ve become very ladder-aware ever since early 2017 when me, Jim, and Sean assembled the giant Oscar statues for that event at at the Lawrence. They had an explicit policy of no ladders, because only union members were allowed on them, and so we had to work around that, which was a huge hassle and actually resulted in us doing stuff that was less safe than using a ladder.

I don’t know if the Monroeville Convention Center or BrickFest has any kind of ladder policy, or if it would be an issue if you need one. I can’t ever remember seeing anybody using a ladder at a convention, although I have used step stools at BFVA without issue and so have other people.

>> As I recall, we were literally right beside PENNLUG.

Yeah, I figured that out from photos I’ve seen, I really don’t know how we missed it or why we didn’t spend more time looking around. The event was in four-hour sessions, and by the time we reached that area, I think there was maybe 20 minutes left or less. I also know from photos that Paul was there. I had met him at BFVA and talked to him at some length about his cars – although that would’ve been before Steel City LUG existed – and I also failed to notice that he was there. (In fact, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen him since.)

I did find photos on my computer of the tower I built for the USA map and it’s even worse than I’d remembered, especially considering that I spent well over three hours on it. I’m not gonna post it here, since I’ve already threadjacked more than necessary, but I might post it over on the What’s Ben Building thread.

Jordan
    Participant

Currently stands at 58 inches tall. I’d love to expand the footprint, but there’s no way it’d be done in time for brickfest.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Looks great, Jordan!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Currently stands at 58 inches tall. I’d love to expand the footprint, but there’s no way it’d be done in time for brickfest.

Jordan, this work of art deserves a frame. Look for a personal message from me on this site.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I once setup a display for Brickfest Virginia in the hotel entry OUTSIDE the ballroom where everyone else displayed. I got NO sleep and a migraine headache the night before the opening to the general public knowing that all it was going to take was one drunk guy stumbling into the table to destroy months of work. Thank goodness it did not happen.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Tim

The event was in four-hour sessions, and by the time we reached that area, I think there was maybe 20 minutes left or less. I also know from photos that Paul was there. I had met him at BFVA and talked to him at some length about his cars – although that would’ve been before Steel City LUG existed – and I also failed to notice that he was there. (In fact, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen him since.)

I forgot that they had 4 hour sessions for the public. I remember Paul was at the next BFVA but I believe that was the last one and I have not seen him since either. And I can not even remember the last time he posted (not sure how to search for individual posts).

OB Topic (since the above is totally Threadjacking), a full LUG table of the Lighthouse and surroundings would be epic.

When I have needed a ladder at Monroeville, I’ve just stood on a chair. As Ben mentioned, not as safe as an actual ladder but oh well.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Tim.
    Jordan
    Participant

I walked past the model a few days ago and slipped on the base plate, causing the entire model to suddenly jerk about 8 inches to the side. Somehow it didn’t fall over or suffer any significant damage.

Rich Millich
    Participant

“8 inches to the side”

That’s a magnitude 10 for some builds.

I find it interesting that internal superstructure was necessary, because I’m sure it connects to the side walls at varying intervals. I’ve been interested in the math and engineering involved to, in our LEGO case, “circle the square”.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Maybe you mentioned this already, is the lighthouse built to minifig scale? I would estimate it has to be around 130 studs / 40 inches tall … not that any of us are sticklers about scale, I’m just curious whether minifig scale items are appropriate.

I laid out a preliminary baseplate array for surrounding the lighthouse. I suppose it would be ideal for the boundaries between colors not to be straight and for the elevation to gradually raise from the water level away from the beach. However, I don’t think the lighthouse itself is raised, so maybe the idea of increasing the elevation is not feasible. Thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jordan
    Participant

Lighthouse sits on a 48×48 baseplate, 58 inches tall, minifig scale. It is not raised. The only feasible way I can see to raise the lighthouse under the current time constraints is to place the entire base plate onto to something. Perhaps something that’s easier, and possibly more accurate, is to build a sand dune barrier between the sand and grass

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I just started looking at photos online and there are different settings for this lighthouse. It appears that in order to preserve the lighthouse, it was moved really far back from the water. Also some photos have fences and trees around it – lots of LEGO building potential there, but obviously not something that can be thrown together in a few days.

Jordan
    Participant

I’d say our best bet is to just freestyle the base. The intention way in the future is to replicate the actual base of the lighthouse today, but I think it’d be more fun to just be creative for brickfest

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

That turned out fantastic!

Rich Millich
    Participant

Hey, @jcc117, out of curiosity, what’s the plan for replacing the base with more masonry bricks? Are you still planning that?

And, of course, the BIG question: how are you planning on building the rotating light?

Jordan
    Participant

Its been a very busy past few months since Brickfest. Sorry I didn’t get to this sooner. Long story short, I haven’t really had time to do much with the lighthouse since then. To answer your questions: I have no idea how I’ll do either of those. I think the lighthouse will be put on the backburner for a little while. This was a huge project, and I’d like to do a few smaller ones to refresh myself a bit before I get back into this one.

Rich Millich
    Participant

And add rotating birds while you’re at it. Haha.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar