LAN Topic: Is the LEGO Group distant and disconnected from the fans?

Home Forums LUG discussions LAN Topic: Is the LEGO Group distant and disconnected from the fans?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tim

LAN topic has been posted: “Based on some of the comments made by ambassadors in the topic Kjeld Kirk steps down, we would like to learn more and discuss the perception of the LEGO Group growing distant and disconnect from its fans.
    Where are you seeing this? How are you seeing this? What can be done?”

Kim Thomsen has asked Ambassadors to ask for feedback from LUG members on this question. The bulk of comments on the LAN so far seem to revolve around problems with Exclusive Sets (and figures), part quality, how Lego treats employees, and perceived pursuit of profit above quality.

Any thoughts are appreciated. If feedback can be given by end of this weekend (Sunday), then I will post a summary on the LAN. Thank you.

Pete
    Participant

My only complaints is TLG not showing monthly calendars online and not listing gap on the calendars. I used to be able to see current and following months calendars online. I could see what the GWP’s were for both months and figure out when I wanted to buy a set or two.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

There were many years when fans were clamoring for new parts and different colors and I feel like those issues have been addressed. No, TLG did not bring back 9V trains or monorails, but it probably for good reasons.

It is amazing what LEGO supplies to our LUG in exchange for doing fun events with the public. And despite the complexity of the LUGbulk program, I think its pretty awesome that we can custom order bulk lots of certain parts at prices that you can’t get elsewhere. The sets released by the IDEAS program and the recent collaboration with bricklink to create MOC’s give the impression that TLG is quite willing to work with the public.

Yes, parts are now produced in places like China which may not be known for quality production, but I haven’t noticed a difference in part quality. The parts now are definitely a lot better than the bricks that were made in the 70’s which do not connect well and tend to warp.

Will McDine
    Participant

I think like any business today TLG is struggling with the way of the times, but overall they seem to be handling it rather well. I know every interaction I have with staff at the Lego Brand Stores are always positive, the very few times I have had to talk to their customer service reps over the phone have always been more than friendly and accommodating. I think the one thing I would like to see them work on is their set distribution and or purchase timeline. I know this year for example I really wanted both of the sets celebrating the Lunar New Year, but they were exclusive to Asia (which is understandable to a point) and other parts of the world, and also the overall time frame that sets are released and available for purchase. The best time frame example I have is the Ideas Line where lately they have been announcing the results of the ideas voting and then a month or two later releasing sets that simply don’t look as good as they might have if they took more time. The best example I have for Window of time is the modular buildings (with the retirement of Brick Bank before Parisian restaurant) and the brick built cars (with the retirement of the Ferrari before the VW bus, or Mini Cooper). While I understand sales plays a major role in these decisions I still feel as though some of these sets deserve more time both in the design rooms and on the sales floor

Rich Millich
    Participant

TLG’s business remains 95% KFOLs. We may not be the best people to ask.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

TLG’s business remains 95% KFOLs. We may not be the best people to ask.

True, the AFOL community is only a small share of the business. However, we seem to be the most vocal and passionate part and LEGO does try to keep us happy because they see us doing outreach for them.

Of course, whether they think there is a problem or not, it is good policy for them to allow their customers to provide feedback (vent) and some of the feedback may be useful.

On a totally different note, it seemed that LEGO once had a policy of not producing guns. I am not sure when that changed, maybe with the first western/cowboy sets. However, the company still shies away from religious themes although they capitalize on holidays like Christmas, Halloween and Easter. I guess its about making money.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will McDine
    Participant

However, we seem to be the most vocal and passionate part and LEGO does try to keep us happy because they see us doing outreach for them.

I hate to say it like this, but I think this is because we are the ones who are going to call them out on their bad ideas. I mean after all, AFOLs and LUGs have to be one of their largest sources of advertising, and after all it is relatively free advertising for them.

On a totally different note, it seemed that LEGO once had a policy of not producing guns. I am not sure when that changed, maybe with the first western/cowboy sets.

Oh, I know the answer to this. There is a Netflix documentary called The Toys That Made Us and they did an episode on LEGO and touched on this. TLGs policy has always been to never produce MODERN warfare or weapons, only Historic and Futuristic. They also mentioned that it is for this reason that the most famous set of all (yellow Castle) is yellow. TLG feared that if they made the castle gray that kids would take it apart and build tanks or weapons. This is how the castle became yellow. Not sure how truthful this is, but it seems like it could be pretty truthful.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

TLGs policy has always been to never produce MODERN warfare or weapons

Which is why BrickArms does such good business. Now that I think about it, at my last BrickFair visit I recall there being quite a lot of tanks and battle scenes in general. TLG can’t stop that.

Its like when a neighbor took the toy guns away because the kids were pretending to shoot each other, so they started shooting each other with Barbie dolls instead.

Whiteside
    Participant

TLG may be a little disconnected from their fans but the are a toy company whose function is to make a profit. If I had my way, they would be producing classic space along with other future themed (non licensed) sets. A lot of other AFOLs say the same thing but there are not enough of us to make those kind of things sell enough for TLG to make those sets with frequency.

Really I think the biggest supporter of the AFOL community is Bricklink. It’s really what makes most of out MOCs possible. I also like what bricklink is doing with the 60 year anniversary set. I may back the Löwenstein Castle but I haven’t decided.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I may back the Löwenstein Castle

There are only 4 days left!

I was considering the castle also, but I realized that I would probably just save it to see if it increases in value or use it as a parts pack.

Will McDine
    Participant

I may back the Löwenstein Castle

That is a good looking set! I backed the Antique Fire Engine (really no big surprise there). I also considered backing the Skyline Express and the Eight Studs house. Still might buy them once they are released.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar