long term projects?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! long term projects?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Considering that the Philly guys might want a Brickfest here next fall, should we start thinking long term? I have some ideas that have been brewing for awhile.

1) This summer I plan to make a wooden frame for the Alpine Village so that it can be displayed without fear of falling
    over.

2) I have a model of the Presque Isle Lighthouse that I would plan to redo in more accurate colors.

3) Zach (and/or I) are interested in building a model of the mansion at Hartwood Acres.

This are not just possibilities, these are thing I think will really happen. Does anyone see these projects as fitting into long term LUG goals?

• This topic was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I guess I wasn’t aware they were ready to go ahead and pull the trigger on that this year, but I suppose not everybody’s slow in getting things done like I am.

The lighthouse and the beach house both could’ve found a place at the Ligonier Valley Train Show last weekend, you can definitely never have too many train tunnels. You’d have to make sure you have clearance clarence on your tunnel height though (I know from experience now that even if you think the train’s gonna make it, there’s always a bigger one coming through). As I mentioned elsewhere, I thought our train show display looked pdg (pretty darn good), presumably if we set up for a con in the fall we would do something similar, among other things.

(I am jealous of your yellow crane supports.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

(I am jealous of your yellow crane supports.)

Actually, I no longer have the tunnel or the yellow crane supports. 🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

I want to do a minifig scale zoo. using duplo animals…I’d love to see us all pick some town themed endeavor with the goal of putting it all together somehow/someday.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also a brilliant idea (in keeping with our discussion of ways to integrate our various styles / interests) that was brought up by Laura last week:

A Renaissance Faire… in the FUTURE.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I want to do a minifig scale zoo. using duplo animal

I think kids of all ages would like it … I have an aquarium section.

A Renaissance Faire… in the FUTURE.

… which would bring us back to … TODAY!

Attachments:
    Julia
    Participant

I love the idea of a zoo!

I’ve also toyed with trying to do Kennywood (or parts of it) myself, I work there so I have pretty unlimited access to take pictures and sketch out what the rides look like from behind and such. But maybe now the carnival is coming out, everyone will be doing amusement parks…

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Zemata
    Participant

I’d really like to have a “chunk of town” for myself to work on. Something train related maybe. Just something I can work on every now and then that’d be compatible with everyone elses stuff.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’d really like to have a “chunk of town” for myself to work on.

Sounds like a good plan. I think you have the compatibility thing figure out. Any particular theme idea … modular style buildings? construction site? zombie apocalypse? minifig scale Brickfest? something else?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dat alley.

Evan, the more MILS baseplates we have (with whatever attached – or nothing – can just be double track on a 32×32, or even single track on a 16×32), the easier and more consistent our train layouts will become. Also like the idea of gradually expanding our inventory of road plates (Tim’s style, unless other suggestions are made). We pulled off a 2-deep x 3 long table display at LVRR with minimal planning and mostly winging it, but the bigger and better we aspire to be, the more the standarized methods will come in handy.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I also have plans to work on my ‘chunk of town’, I’d like to expand my park from 2×3 to 4×4 or 6×4, and resolve all observation platform issues that currently exist. I have ideas for how to do it, but I haven’t been working on it because I’ve been building castle nonstop for the Cranberry Library. I also used up most of my big green plates on the existing park, so I need to acquire more, which might slow me down. I also used up all my main plant pieces when I built the trees for the Latrobe show, and then I took all those trees apart for my castle. It turns out that altbricks has awesome new plant colors, I bought a sample pack, but again I can only build trees as fast as I can afford to buy leaves.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am trying to determine a minifig scale conversion factor. How does this sound?

1. A minifigure is about five bricks high, which represent 6 feet so the height of each brick represents 1.2 feet.
    2. The height to width ratio of each brick, (not including studs,) is about 6:5. The width of each brick represents 1 foot.

Which brings me to a problem. I estimated that the mansion in Hartwood Acres park that I want to recreate is about 196 feet long in real life. (I based on the length of a Mini Cooper in the aerial photo.) That means the minifig scale LEGO model would be four gray baseplates long … one building … that’s as long as the bridge! Do we have a need / room / desire for something like that?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

That Hartwood Acres building looks awesome! I don’t see why we wouldn’t want it?!

Josh
    Keymaster

You could certainly condense it quite a bit, Greg. Think of the modular buildings practically. You could err on the small side, but yeah, if you pull it off, it would be beautiful. Right next to Zach’s mansion 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That Hartwood Acres building looks awesome! I don’t see why we wouldn’t want it?!

My concerns about building a minifig scale mansion include that it could potentially use member resources, specifically time, money and storage space, that could be better invested on other projects.

Regardless, Zach and I are both interested in completing it, so we are moving forward. To be compatible with the current display components, this mansion will need to conform to the MILS standard, yes? This site,

MILS

http://www.abellon.net/MILS/index.html#tip3

seems to be specific to 32×32 baseplates. Would it be best if we stick to 32×32’s instead of venturing into 48×48 plates? Also, those of you who have done this already, can you offer advice / guidance / suggestions? Thanks!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Are there potential problems with using a road plate as the baseplate for my MILS standard? I have some T’s and X’s that I want to use. Obviously, there are large areas with no studs … I’m not sure how problematic that will be.

Josh
    Keymaster

How are your proposing to use them? just sit on top of a brick and plate instead of being at the bottom of the stack? using slopes to come down to the baseplate level?

GO BRICK BUILT! DOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEET

Greg Schubert
    Participant

How are your proposing to use them? just sit on top of a brick and plate instead of being at the bottom of the stack? using slopes to come down to the baseplate level?

No, that was not what I was thinking. Since all of our roads are going to be brick built I thought that I could use a road baseplate as the base of the MILS. I would build on top of the road baseplate, obscuring the road pattern completely.

Josh
    Keymaster

Oh! Yeah, no worries there.

Tim

Count me in on the Hartwood Acres building. Perhaps it could be divided up in sections for several of us to build.

I would definitely selectively compress it – especially because we would have to built the driveway and some of the surrounding landscaping as well. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Zach and I started this mansion project back in June. He did most of the building one night and then shortly after that he left for a semester in Australia. I only modified the outside to MILS level. With the possibility of LUGbulk offering tan window frames and tan masonry profile bricks, we are probably going to have to start over but I think we will have a much better outcome!

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Me, I’m committed to the MILS standard, but on 48×48 baseplates for Space.

I am interested in building a City chunk as a racing garage that I can plug into the big build to convert it into Race Day. However, that’s project #6 or 7 on my list of Things To Build, so in all likelihood, I’ll stick to refining my Project G story and the evolving builds that go with it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar