Love you (LEGO) Library – Bayne Library Bellevue 9-17

Home Forums LUG discussions Love you (LEGO) Library – Bayne Library Bellevue 9-17

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m working with the Andrew Bayne Memorial Libary to host a LEGO-inspired event fundraiser during Love Your Library month.

Working name: Love Your (LEGO) Library – (I warned them about naming, so this is just temp)
    Bayne Library
    9/17, 3:30-7:30
    $5 individual, $15 families

This fundraiser will benefit their creative play programs and growing LEGO club, co-sponsored with Bellevue Elementary School.

I’d love to have the LUG have a presence at the event. I know there are competing events this weekend.

I’d like to invite you to feature LUG MOCs and other models (official kits or otherwise) and display them throughout the library. Small to medium-sized models are appreciated given the space.

I’ll be featuring my custom Bayne Library model and my LEGO version of the Lincoln Avenue business corridor.

This is a one-day event and the work will be protected throughout the event and overnight with drop-offs occurring on Friday 9/16 and pick-ups occurring on Sunday 9/18. If a Sunday pickup isn’t possible, we’ll store works in non-public areas. I’m happy to pick up and drop off any models you’d like to feature, though I can’t carry large models. This may be a good opportunity to show off some of the works you’ve made that you don’t typically feature at shows or events.

There will be some additional LEGO programming occurring the week before the fundraising event, primarily focusing on free-builds. @knb112 might have some additional ideas here.

THOUGHTS APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Build Your Library might better suit this event

David Bacon
    Participant

RJ, I live pretty close to Bellevue and would love to contribute. I don’t have many MOCs built, but I do have my “Neighborhood of Make Believe” trio of Brickheadz I could add.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by David Bacon.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    RJ Thompson
    Participant

@greg – agreed!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by RJ Thompson.
    RJ Thompson
    Participant

@bacon1986 that’d be great! Thank you so much. Let’s definitely connect at some point in person since you are so close. I can get back to you closer to the event to arrange drop off/pick up. I know these will be a hit.

Will McDine
    Participant

I think it is safe to say I am out for this. The Saturday before we leave for our New York/Brickfair PA trip. I hope this event goes well though!

Tim Brown
    Participant

I am in. I can staff the event as well as provide some items for display. Love my libraries lol.

Krista K

@iamrjthompson I mentioned some of the details at the meeting on your behalf, but there were a few questions, which I encouraged people to post here.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Thanks Krista! I appreciate you covering it. Happy to take questions, everyone.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

@tbrown00 Thank you so much! I’m really excited to have you join us. It’s going to be a lot of fun. Let’s chat sometime soon. E-mail a.rewrite@gmail.com or call/text 4127797665. In a nutshell, we’re using the whole library as an exhibition space. So, bring whatever models you’ve made and feel comfortable with displaying. Size and space aren’t a concern. We will have docents to monitor kids from touching some of the work, most of my work will be touchable though.

We’re working on getting the Kona Ice truck there as well as possibly another food truck.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Well as I oft mentioned, I am not a big dog in the Lego world. So please don’t expect a ton of stuff from me for the display. I plan to bring a few official technic sets at a minimum and maybe some other custom builds time permitting. I am more than happy to bring other folks stuff with if anyone wants display credit. I would recommend medium to large builds that can be displayed on top of book shelves and tables. I don’t recommend sending anything that easily fits in the pocket. As much as I like to think we can protect them all, the reality is that a library with displays all over the place is going to be a security challenge.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Please consider sharing the ticket purchase link for Brickvue amongst your friends and family!
    https://friendsofbaynelibrary.org/events/brickvue/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I saw on Facebook that this event is Saturday, but have not heard much recently. How are the plans for Brickvue going, @iamrjthompson ?

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hey @greg! Everything is going smoothly! We have the LUG play brick, Doug, cards, etc. ready to go. Some residents are contributing their models to the show as is the art program from a local church. I’ll be moving stuff over tomorrow and Saturday morning, if you had anything you wanted to be displayed, the library will accept it starting Friday!

I also had the school district send out a mass e-mail to all the families in the Northgate district. We’ve had a heavy flyer campaign hit the streets, and I invited over 2k people to the event on Facebook [but you know how those things go] – I’m hoping to get 100 people or so through the door.

Thanks @tbrown00 @bacon1986 @knb112 for all your help!!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Rachel is in town for the ASTC museum conference this week, and she met a bunch of people, and she arranged a meeting this morning at Avalon Elementary, after meeting some of them on Wednesday afternoon on the 9th Street Bridge when it was shut down for local groups to set up booths. Today we met in the maker space with the principal, Joe Peacock, a fourth-grade math teacher named Heather (whose last name I can’t remember), and Michael Amick, the principal of Bellvue. When Rachel introduced me as a member of Steel City LUG, Michael immediately said that he knows RJ, and reminded us that the Love Your Library event is tomorrow. So we plan to go, just as paying members of the public, and we’ll see you there.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Library Pics 1

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

This is going to take a while 🙂

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Pics 3. Zipping the rest to reduce posts.

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Pics 4

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Pics 5

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Pics 6

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Bayne Pics 7

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Last one!

The event went well. Had quite a few people stop by. @iamrjthompson was in good form chatting everyone up about his builds. @bacon1986 ‘s Brikhead scavenger hunt was a hit with the kids. Glad we could support the event. I’m always up for helping out libraries.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We made it, it was a fun one. The library is a really cool building and we enjoyed figuring out where we were and where we had gone by looking at RJ’s model of it. We also talked to the librarian at the door at length about the history of the building.

We also enjoyed RJ’s model of Lincoln Avenue even though we’re not familiar with the real thing. At some point we’ll have to go over and check it out.

I did poorly at the scavenger hunt, I got less than half of them, even though I found a bunch.

RJ Thompson
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

Final results back from the Library event:

– Over a period of 4 hours, we had about 250 people roll through!
    – The fundraiser brought in about $1500, after expenses, $1300. This was the library’s biggest fundraiser in its history – which is great.
    – The event got coverage across social media, televised news, and more.
    – Perhaps the best news of all though….they want to repeat this event AND have a different event just showcasing SCLUG work!

More to come on the latter. It’ll probably happen in 2023 Spring or Summer.

Thank you to everyone who contributed! This was a dream come true for me and I’m grateful for all of your help. @tbrown00 @knb112 @joshhall @bacon1986

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar