Mac.Bid Auction Items

Home Forums LUG discussions Mac.Bid Auction Items

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

After talking with several people about using Mac.Bid to get Lego sets, I thought it might be useful to post what set(s) might be being looked at so we aren’t bidding against each other or, potentially, can help someone out that is looking and might miss the bid window, etc.

I would say use one post for each “day” you are looking to help keep it organized. So, Monday is the 2nd so if you have several you are looking at/bidding on for that day, list the date at the top, auction number and location in one post.

Alternatively, since this could potentially be a large forum post eventually, I would suggest making a sub forum that I or someone else could maintain so that old entries could be removed to help keep things easier to read.

Thoughts? I’m going to post an example since I am looking at a few for Monday (actually looking at almost all of them but really only looking to bid on a couple if they stay low).

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

Monday, Jan 1st

PM – #6034

PM – #5038

Akron – #1261

Wash – #1971

Just some examples. If it is PM Big Box or Washington Big Box, then use W BB or PM BB.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thoughts? I’m going to post an example since I am looking at a few for Monday (actually looking at almost all of them but really only looking to bid on a couple if they stay low).

Have you actually won any bids on LEGO before? Just as a word of caution for anyone who is new to the Macbids game, I think @willmcdine and/or @joshhall have done so and gotten Lepin / otherwise been disappointed (missing parts bags, etc? I forget exactly…) So, with LEGO in particular, it may be worth the trip to inspect lots in person before bidding…

Laura
    Participant

@philmatt24 I agree, I always inspect sets before bidding. They do have a return policy you can buy but it costs extra. Also keep in mind that they will sell things as “Like New” and if the set is not actually “like new” I believe you can return it on the spot.

Kevin
    Participant

I’ve found M@C to not be worth the hassle. Their fees are astronomical and you never know what you will actually get. If I lived closer to one of their warehouses so I could inspect prior to bidding, that might make a difference.

Will McDine
    Participant

have done so and gotten Lepin

This is true. It was advertised as a Technic Bugatti Chiron, Pictures showed it in a closed amazon shipping box. I ultimately won the auction and for like $100 off retail. Josh picked it up for me since he was going out there anyways, and Alas, It is not as advertised. I still have it if anyone is interested. Will likely attempt to sell it with some stuff from my Aunt.

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

I have successfully gotten a lot of things from Mac.Bid over the last year and a half. I think out of all of the things, only one was completely wrong and a few have been not in great shape but open box is open box. Largely, since the Beaver Falls location is about 10 minutes from me, we bid on stuff we can check out beforehand. Doing that has gotten me some amazing deals (a listed 270 dollar monitor that was really a 1400 dollar monitor) and with new locations being added, I’m sure either you or someone you know is not too far from a location if you have an interest in something.

If what you bid on is not as advertised (like the item in the box is nothing at all like is on the box or what the auction lists) then you can get a full refund, period cuz it was not as listed. Inspection is more for you’re bidding on an item, say a chainsaw and you don’t look at it. You win, pick it up, the chainsaw is all there but the chain is busted. Something like that is “as is” but you still got the full item that was advertised.

Specifically for Lego, I bought the R2-D2 for about 30 bucks and the Razorcrest for about 40. Both had beat-up boxes a bit but all piece bags were intact as were instructions. I built both of those on my channel so you can see them for yourself. The ones I got that I knew would be an issue were the Mario Starter courses. I got those for about 10 each and of course Mario was stolen from the boxes (cuz that’s the only way you can get him) but I was able to get 2 online for about 20 bucks each so still made out good.

Bidding on items you can’t check is tricky but I know some people do it anyway. I was just thinking this would be a good way to help each other out for those that do or watch things on that site for Lego and so we don’t interfere with each other.

BTW, there is an AT-AT UCS in Beaver Falls for Thursday. If someone wants, I can go take a look at it and verify it is what they way. As of me writing this, it’s only at 160. No transfer either so I can help pick it up for someone as well if need be. This is the kind of thing I wanted this post for, just to help out each other.

Tim Brown
    Participant

MacBid is hit or miss. Sometimes you can get great deals. With Lego, it’s very rare that you walk away with nothing but maybe 1 in 10 that the box is missing parts. I highly recommend inspecting. Travel time though usually makes buying only one item a waste of time and money. And definitely consider their very high fees when bidding. That said we have gotten maybe 20-30 sets from there at good prices.

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

In case anyone is looking for one, another UCS AT-AT is up at the Beaver Falls site, new in box is the claim, currently at 410

https://www.mac.bid/auction/BF2301-06-A1/lot/2179

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar