New Mosaics on Aug 1!

Home Forums All Things LEGO! New Mosaics on Aug 1!

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

So….I have never built mosaics but these look interesting! Anyone buying them? A seemingly good deal at $119 for 3000+ 1×1 round pieces!The only tough part for me is buying 4 to get the full series of each at nearly $480. Thoughts?

LEGO Art revealed as mosaic sets of The Beatles, Marilyn Monroe, Star Wars Sith and Iron Man [News]

David Bacon
    Participant

I think these look interesting, but overpriced. I would rather use the plethora of studs I already have to make my own.

Can we all agree to dub the new brick separator the Adult Brick Separator? It can only be purchased by 18+ year olds after all. “Kids, keep your hands off my Adult Brick Separator. Go use one of the dozens of orange kids ones you already have.”

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

If it is “Adult” then I hope it is stronger and doesn’t bend at the first sign of tiles!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I didn’t know there was a new brick separator.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Why do you suppose they are using round plates instead of square plates for these mosaics? My guess is that is that the orientation of a round plate does not matter compared to a square plate, so its easier to complete. This way, you place all the yellow ones first and then do a different color without having to painstakingly reposition all the little squares.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I think round plates are easier to put on and remove (although in theory the brick separator should make that moot). Or maybe they just liked how it looked with the round ones.

Will McDine
    Participant

I am looking forward to this. I would like to at some point get all the parts to build the large Darth Vader and Iron man. I don’t think buying 3 of each would be worth it, but maybe buying the needed parts from Bricklink or Bricks and Pieces, but time will tell.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

If you want only the exact build pieces for one picture, I’d say BrickLink may be cheaper. If it isn’t too rare a color. Each set comes with more pieces to enable you rebuilding the other two pictures so you may only use them 2000 of the 3000 pieces…we shall see. I still think the set is cheaper though plus you get the fancy box, a manual, that cool new brick separator, and a theme song download included! All for a pittance of $120!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

These are in store now! I saw the Iron Man yesterday. The box looks awesome and I still think it’s a better deal to buy the set.

@paulamalu
    , you gotta build the 4 Marilyns and put em up behind Darth Vader! Totally Pittsburgh!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

So….the Sith one has a part out value on Bricklink of $1300! It has new color and rarer color studs plus those big bricks. I guess it is cheaper to buy it but it may be worth grabbing 2 and parting one out!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

But the part out value drops once a new set is made with the rare part, doesn’t it?

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

But the part out value drops once a new set is made with the rare part, doesn’t it?

I’m sure over time, yes.

Paula
    Participant

Hey @tcsbgdady! I’m trying to get us TO the Warhol museum! Fingers crossed! THe new head of marketing at LBR is from PITTSBURGH! WHOAH!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

LBR = LEGO Brand Retail

Julia Goldin
    Global Chief Marketing Officer at the LEGO Group

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/12/01/why-in-decades-from-now-lego-will-still-be-selling-its-iconic-brick-.html

went to U of Illinois undergrad but could not find Pgh roots

(thanks Google!)

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

So….here is what 9501 pieces looks like sorted and ready to build the ultimate Iron Man mosaic! Wish me luck! Of course, only 6912 of those are studs actually in use and then the 27 brick plates. So there will be some left over….what to do with them? Decisions. Decisions.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Speaking of Mosaics and Mosaic making….Lego.com just released a set that was only in like 2 stores worldwide! Set is 40179. 6002 pieces for $129.99.

You can upload any pic you want and create a greyscale image on Lego.com, save the image as a mosaic to your device, then order the kit and build the picture at home! Pretty cool concept! I am attaching a couple of examples.

You can add black, white, gray, and yellow to make the mosaic in different hews. My plan is to see if you can order one and modify the mosaic as I build with different colors maybe. We shall see. Very cool idea from Lego though in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

LEGO had make-your-own mosaics once before. The old ones used 1×1 square plates and 32×32 baseplates. Each kit came with bags of 100 plates, depending on how many you needed of each color. As I recall, there were also designs with a tabby cat, a LEGO dinosaur and a Jonny Thunder explorer minifig head.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar