New to this

Home Forums Introductions New to this

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dominick
    Participant

Hello,

My is Dominick and I currently live in cranberry twp, pa. I just recently got back into Legos we’ll its been 20 something years since my last Lego set. So I have been on different sites looking at different MOC’s as everyone calls them and have no clue what I’m doing at all lol. The newbie…. I’m really big into construction equipment have been looking at different pieces to add to my small and I mean small collection (3 pieces) and have no clue how to order the Mocs or even go about getting the parts list and was wondering if someone could possible help me out or even meet up one day and walk me through the process and show me the ins and outs. My goal is to have a decent size collection for when my 5 month old son gets older we can start building together.

Thanks,
    Dominick

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hi Dominick,

I would suggest, to meet your stated goal, go on eBay and find someone with an auction for used LEGO construction sets and buy several of them in a single lot. If the instructions or original boxes are not included, they will be less expensive. You won’t need paper instructions because you can find almost all of the instructions online for free.

Actually, now that I think about it, I might be able to sell a bunch of construction vehicles depending on what you want. You can see the variety of products that LEGO has produced over the years on several LEGO databases online, including brickset and bricklink.

Greg
    P.S. you cannot usually order MOC’s because they are usually one-of-a-kind builds.

Rich Millich
    Participant

MOC is short for My Own Creation. In other words, custom, self designed builds.
    Don’t worry: some of us are set builders, some of us are MOC builders, and some of us do both. It’s a good mix in this club.

If you want to start a collection from scratch, buying off the rack, I always recommend starting with the smallest Creator set you can find with parts that you like and buying like 3-4 of them. This way you’re getting parts in core colors and in bulk. Like @greg says, Brickset is a great way to recreate existing sets if that’s what you want to do.

If you want to start a collection buying from third party sellers, I recommend BrickLink. However, BrickLink has a lot of ins and outs and techniques to buy smart, and most of us have tips on how to stay economical with it.

As for creating custom construction builds, you can’t go wrong with our LUG club brick supply. Not many of our members build extensively with Technic, so, if you can earn some redemption cups, getting a good assortment of Technic from the club is a good call. You could be able to MOC up anything pret-ty easily once you gather a good part selection.

In my opinion, buying small but many off the rack in combination with staffing events and redeeming cups with us is the best way to get a collection started. I do recommend staying within the core five colors (red, white, blue, black and yellow) and light bley, along with the odd colored Technic pins and axles, for what you like to build. If you like a particular nonstandard color, I’m willing to bet that at least one of us has that color in larger quantity, which leads me to…

Once you get some parts, trading is also something to do. Across the club, most of us have Technic and regular System brick that we’re not using, so trading with other members is a good thing to do. When trading with us, you’ll need to post on the forums here and reach out to specific LUGgers to get the hot stove cookin’.

Finally, it’s pretty cool to be able to integrate your builds, present and future, with displays we do. And you’re not the only one who builds with his kids: @tfdesigns does this too, and “Small Frost” is known among us for his builds as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar