Oh, whoops. I forgot to do one of these. So…. Hi, I'm Dac.

Home Forums Introductions Oh, whoops. I forgot to do one of these. So…. Hi, I'm Dac.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dac
    Participant

Hey y’all!

I’m Dac. You may have met me at the Q1 meeting or the LVRR show yesterday. If not, here’s a little bit about me:

I’m a *gigantic* tech geek. Arguably the biggest tech nerd you’ll ever meet. I currently work at reddit.com as Community Manager (though I’m temporarily on medical leave – more on that later). Before that, I ran a popular gaming journalism website, so I’m pretty connected in that area, and I’m obviously a huge gamer as well. Somewhat relevant, I also have worked for an import video game retailer sporadically for the last 10-ish years and have been to probably around 100-150 video game, tech, and anime conventions as a vendor. I’ve also staffed and even chaired a handful of conventions. (Though unfortunately never a LEGO convention – it’s on my list, though!)

The reason I’m currently on medical leave is because earlier last year I was re-diagnosed with leukemia. Originally diagnosed in 2012, I went through a bunch of chemo and a bone marrow transplant. Then in 2013 the cancer came back, and I had to go through the whole ordeal again. I’m currently in remission, but my recovery is very slow and very difficult. Because of this, I’m somewhat unreliable when it comes to traveling. (I was supposed to go to Brickfest – even bought tickets – but wasn’t able to make it because I ended up being sick that weekend.) And if you ever see me acting a bit weird, like walking funny or being out of breath or something, it’s just part of my recovery process, so don’t worry. 😛

As far as LEGO goes, I was a big fan when I was a kid, like most kids. I stopped getting LEGO around the Bionicle age, but I had accumulated quite a few sets and parts, which I stored in one giant bin. Then in December of last year, I started getting back into LEGO after I got some 3-in-1 Creator sets for Christmas. Fast forward a mere four or five months later, and I’ve accumulated probably around 8 or 9 grand worth of LEGO (mostly sets), and have a pretty decent collection for someone who basically just got into LEGO again. Though, most of you guys completely put my collection to shame. 😛

I’m not very good at MOCs yet, and pretty much just build sets and collect minifigs (speaking of which, I just finally got Series 1 minifigs today, entirely completing my cmf collection!). I’d really like to become better organized, and learn how to build freestyle, so I’m really open to coming over people’s houses and just building for fun, since I’d probably learn a lot from you guys.

Okay, well, that’s my long-winded introduction. I’m super excited to get to know all of you! If any of you want my contact info, just message me or ask any member of the LUG that was at the Q1 meeting.

Looking forward to being a big part of this awesome group. 🙂

-Dac

Josh
    Keymaster

glad to have you, Dac. Welcome to the group. Your energy is notable, and I hope we can keep that going. Maybe you’ll help bring balance to my slow, boring, and lethargic ways of thinking, building, and running quarterly meetings. I always fear my liveliness sets the tone for the group, because if that were true, we’re all screwed. 😛

ChristianK
    Participant

Hey, Dac. I’ve written for a few video game websites in my day, as well, but mostly on a smaller scale – like RPGFan, RPGamer, Games Are Fun, etc. Where were you an editor? And with what import video game retailer are you associated? I’ve probably ordered from you more than a few times.

Nice to have you on board!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

We need to do an AMA on Reddit one of these days… and no, I don’t know how that would work. Hi, my name is AFOL, and I build MOCs…?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar