Pittsburgh BrickFair

Home Forums Off Topic Pittsburgh BrickFair

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Todd
    Participant

Hey boys and girls
    Your friendly neighborhood Lego vendor here “Classic Plastic Bricks ”
    Not sure if everyone knows but Todd Webb of BrickFair  has done and is planning to do a BrickFair show at different locations every year besides VA, AL and NJ.
    And me being me …….I’m trying to talk him into a Pittsburgh BrickFair so I can  hang out with everyone in Steel City LUG!!!
    I have have suggested the Monroeville convention center to him vs the downtown convention center and have given him Josh’s contact info but if anyone else has a suggestions or any other helpful info for Todd Webb I would suggest  e-mailing him at ( afol@brickfair.com )
    Lets make ” Pittsburgh BrickFair ” happen !!!!
    Todd

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Todd.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

I’m down!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That might be a hard sell. What time of year was the New England Brickfair?

Todd
    Participant

Hey @greg why do you say it will be a hard sell ?

Brickfair NE was held in early spring and last years traveling brickfair show was held the last weekend of march in Charlotte NC.
    Thanks
    Todd

Greg Schubert
    Participant

why do you say it will be a hard sell

You would have to get Todd to commit to an entirely new location. He tried New England but I think it never took off and he was not getting the numbers that he needed to make it worthwhile. I wonder if he wants to disperse his energy over a wider area, hoping for a new market.

Of course I think Pittsburgh is the only place where LEGO Fest happened two years in a row. We had Nathan Sawaya’s exhibit here at the Science Center, but the numbers were not quite what they were hoping for … although it was kind of expensive.

Dan
    Participant

Maybe we could share the number of attendees we’ve estimated at our past big events?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Of course I think Pittsburgh is the only place where LEGO Fest happened two years in a row.

It is? Were they here in 2011? I was not aware that they’ve ever repeated anywhere. As far as I know, it’s always been their official policy to do different cities every year.

The two times I went to BrickFair NE, they were both in May. I don’t think that has any bearing on when Todd Webb does his ‘traveling’ show. As mentioned, BrickFair NC was in March. The only other convention I know of in March is Bricks Cascade, which is about as far from NC as you can get.

I’d love it if they came here, but I think Pittsburgh is a tough sell too. We’re really not all that far from BFVA, so coming here isn’t gonna be opening up a massive previously-untapped group as exhibitors. And from what I’ve heard, NC was an epic bomb. For whatever reason, the public did not show up. So I don’t think you’re gonna convince Todd with a ‘Let’s just try it and see what happens’ argument.

Whatever happens though, it would be a one-time thing, not an annual one. For 2020, AL and VA are already scheduled (and NJ for this year isn’t til next month). If Todd is planning on doing a bonus 2020 event, it’s unknown to me, there certainly haven’t been any announcements about it. But he also hasn’t officially bailed on the idea of a traveling BrickFair, and supposedly hasn’t given up on it just because of NC. So I don’t know if there’s gonna be one in 2020, or if we’d already be talking about 2021.

Todd
    Participant

@greg @bengood921

Ok ….So Todd Webb stopped by a talked to me at the Maryland state Fair last month.
    He said there will be no traveling show in 2020 because he did not find a place and he wanted a year to promote/ get the word out about the show.
    He said that that a few people had asked him about doing a BrickFair Pittsburgh and he even looked at the downtown convention center, but it was way to expensive and that’s when I told him about the Monroeville convention center and he seemed very interested.

As for BrickFair NC ……. yes it was a bomb ……..no one showed up , there was some type of confusion with who was doing advertising …….long story short …..it was a very long weekend !!!!
    But on the flip side Todd hired a new PR person after NC and Brickfair VA broke new attendance records.

I also don’t think Todd is not looking for “untapped exhibitors” …..I mean Pittsburgh is 4hrs from BrickFair VA and Charlotte is 6hrs …..not much difference.
    I think Todd is just looking for a good place to hold a BrickFair where he will get some support from AFOL’s and the public ……That’s why I suggested Pittsburgh
    Well that’s my 2 cents !!!
    Todd

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Well, we are certainly not AGAINST it, just skeptical, that’s all. If LUG’s from Ohio, Chicago and Toronto thought Pittsburgh was close enough to visit, it could work.

One important thing to remember is that you need a bunch of volunteers and many of those would have to be local. Despite the rumor that we have 300+ members in our LUG, there are often only a half dozen AFOL’s at our events.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@bengood921 I recently got a Brickfair News email. It starts out by saying that registration is $80. Is that a change, or is that what it costs if you register late?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I recently got a Brickfair News email. It starts out by saying that registration is $80. Is that a change, or is that what it costs if you register late?

He’s been doing it like that for years, it’s $15 off if you register before the early registration deadline (which is usually just a week or two before the event). For NJ, the convention starts Oct 31 and early registration ends Oct 17. So the real cost is $65, which is what it’s been for probably 5-7 years now.

If you log into the BrickFair website, the information is there, although you have to look for it. I don’t know why Todd does it this way. My guess is that if he said $65 is the real price and you have to pay a $15 penalty if you’re late, more people registering late would argue with it and try to get out of it, even though, technically it is mathematically equivalent to the system he has in place.

Will McDine
    Participant

I’m always down to bring another LEGO CON to the Steel City. If my memory serves me correctly the last one we had was Brickfest Live 2 years ago. Definitely would welcome it with open arms

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So it is official, Todd is looking for new venues. See the attached Brickfair announcement. Still, I think that volunteering would be crucial and I would be concerned how we would get adequate participation.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar