Q3 2019 Build challenge -Space plants

Home Forums MOCs Q3 2019 Build challenge -Space plants

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

After installing the Cranberry library display this weekend, it was decided our build challenge should be space plants. If anyone wants to volunteer to judge or set guidelines, please do so. basically, plants, that we’d expect to see in space.

Dan
    Participant

How about these categories:
    1. Most colorful
    2. Most exotic
    3. Most munchable (cuz who doesn’t want a space plant salad??)

I won’t volunteer to judge at this point.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

OK…..Since almost all of my plants (and parts) are in display at the Lego Store and at Cranberry Library, is it OK to submit via pictures of the live display…with backstory? I could send one representative plant…maybe (parts permitting) to showcase at the Q3 meeting, but I will not be there to talk to it or present it in any fashion as it is my baby daughter’s Christening that day.

Please advise if I will be allowed to compete via pictures/stories/video.

Josh
    Keymaster

Flickr entries are acceptable. Those in attendance, remind me to pull them up on the screen.

Who is judging?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am participating, aiming for 2nd place … because @tfdesigns.

Pete
    Participant

For medical reasons you need to add a fourth category. Most smokable.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Pete…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Okay, so Micah is in now, maybe that leaves Jim, Ben and I scrapping for 3rd. Anyone else? @philmatt24, do you want to judge before you have to leave?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I will have an entry. I am far enough along that I am going to enter it, but I am not likely to get it done the way I’d planned, so it might be a bit rough. I also don’t know if it will transport, I will be bummed if I have to submit a photo entry only, but it’s even more fragile than I’d expected. I don’t expect to win, my space plants are not actually clever or original, I just really like them and I have a lot of them.

Josh
    Keymaster

Juliette says she’s building something. I just have the space plants that are growing in my front yard where pretty landscaping should be.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Juliette says she’s building something.

Sweet! I am looking forward to seeing that.

Dan
    Participant

Any pics of the entries? I got a quick look before I left, but wanted to enjoy the details.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The winning entries for this competition were really good and confirmed a suspicion that despite being a Biology teacher, I am no good at organic builds. If I were to try to build a LEGO model of a living creature, it would more likely resemble Monticello than any organism, real or imaginary.

ALSO, I think it would be a shame if the winning entries never made it to a collaborative LUG display. Could you figure out how to make the space plant exhibits work together with one of Dan’s or Walter’s builds at Greenbergs Train Show in the Fall? They deserve to be seen outside the LUG.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I did take some pics. they didn’t all come out as good as I’d hoped. I will post when I get a chance.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Space plant photos

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Thank for posting @greg! They all look awesome!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> ALSO, I think it would be a shame if the winning entries never made it to a collaborative LUG display. Could you figure out how to make the space plant exhibits work together with one of Dan’s or Walter’s builds at Greenbergs Train Show in the Fall? They deserve to be seen outside the LUG.

I had planned on taking mine apart right away (similar to what I did for the SWR Phase 5 in Feb 2018, despite Greg’s suggestion then that we put it on display elsewhere). But this got me thinking that maybe I should hold on to it a bit longer. I am unlikely to have anything else built for Greenberg this year (and another year of putting pine trees on other people’s builds doesn’t sound fun), and the next two months should give me time to finish it the way I had originally planned. So once there’s a Greenberg thread, I can get into the logistics of displaying it there. There’s also a chance that I will be going to BrickFair New Jersey, in which case I would be taking it there as well.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Your space landscape looked like a perfect backdrop for a space monorail. If you expanded the tan, you would still have more than enough plants. If you want to borrow a monorail and track, let me know. I still have the monorail shown below.

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

We have those printed space backdrops from SW Randall a few years back as well. Sit that behind the plants then monorail in front?

I can bring monorail track and trains as well.

Tim

Perhaps we could take the Cranberry Library display, add the space plants, and expand all that to make a huge Space Train display. Ben certainly han enough lava to cover a decent sized section.

Dan
    Participant

I’m down for that! Starting Greenburg early this year!

Tim

Not only starting early but reusing various MOCs already built. I will need to alter the launchpad slightly as the back (which is up against the wall in the Library display case and has exposed DUPLO on the unseen backside) will need to be covered up. More people will be able to see those MOCs and even those who will have seen the Library Display will see it in a different perspective. Win-win-win. 🙂

John S
    Participant

Most important, where’s the space pants?

Tom Frost
    Participant

Most important, where’s the space pants?

Spacepants in Action

Bob Grier
    Participant

Whoa, @tfdesigns, that was so well done!! I love it!!!

That deserves it’s own folder on the Gallery page if you’re willing to have it up there!! 64 MB is the file size limit, so it may be too big for the video file. Don’t know if we could put some stills and a link to the video.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar