Roller Coaster

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Roller Coaster

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

In case anyone has not really paid much attention to roller coaster parts, (like me) I attached an image of the parts that currently exist. Also, I attached an image of a monorail type set that was made in 2019 using roller coaster track that I never noticed before. I did not find the Hidden Side set to which Matt referred, but I did find this cute video of a working monorail using the roller coaster track.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeah, Greg, that list of track parts unfortunately doesn’t show which parts come in which colors unless you click through to each part on BL – does anyone know of a grid / table anywhere? That’d be the most useful way to see this info, with track elements in the rows and colors in the columns, or something… maybe I should make it and post it on Flickr to get all the views and likes??

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It would not take long to make a table of pieces and colors and average prices if its a topic in which you are really interested.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It would not take long to make a table of pieces and colors and average prices if its a topic in which you are really interested.

Prices?!? I wasn’t even worrying about that! Just “how many colors have enough elements to make a full coaster”? 😉

Greg Schubert
    Participant

In regard to roller coasters, I tested out the track from the Friends Amusement Park 41130 that has a “roller coaster” in it. (It uses the same kind of track that was in the Temple of Doom and Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape sets.)

The cars built for these sets have so much friction in the wheels that after going down a ramp, they do not have enough momentum to make it through a single length of curved track. (Eight of these curves are required to make a complete circle.)

Does anyone know of wheels significantly less friction that could fit this track?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

I don’t have any of that track, but maybe you could try the train wheels that use Technic axles.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This summer I tried using some roller coaster track to make a gravity run course but I could not even get a ball to traverse the course.

Recently I saw that someone hit 10,000 votes with an IDEAS set that uses roller coaster track to make a Western mine scene. My question is, could the vehicles actually roll down that track on their own?

(see attached image)

Attachments:
    Skipper Mike
    Participant

I think that turn at the top of the hill wouldn’t work. But the rest of it probably would. The Coaster they sold does work like that, just barely.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Well there’s no chain lift either, so you’d be manually moving it up the hill and then around the curve to the first drop. But even then I’m skeptical. I can’t tell if there’s a final small slope hidden from view towards the back of the build, but either way, I have my doubts that it could make it the whole way back to the station without running out of steam on the final curve.

Also, it’s hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like in the middle of the track, where the train is, that they might be doing an illegal build to create a slight incline even though they’re using level track parts (I’ve done this with the four-wide train track to move Duplo balls in giant GBC-type build, and it works well). As far as I know, Lego still doesn’t allow that, even in Ideas, and so that would be a problem going forward with the build.

Maybe most important though, to me this looks typical of the kind of build that gets rejected by Lego even if it makes it to the review stage. Lego’s already put out several roller coaster sets on their own and clearly doesn’t have trouble thinking up ways to use the parts. What I’m really seeing here is that the designer really wants to do a mine-cart themed roller coaster (hardly surprising given the popularity of the one at Disney World), but needs Lego to make the track in tan or dark tan first. I know Lego is on record as being very resistant to making any new parts for Ideas sets. As far as I know, they’ve never made a new mold to accommodate an Ideas set (and if anybody knows of an exception, I’d like to hear about it). They have done plenty of custom printing, on minifigs and parts, but I’m also pretty sure they’ve never made in existing part in a new color to make an Ideas set work. (Again, if anybody knows of an exception, I’d like to know.)

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar