smugmug bought flickr

Home Forums Off Topic smugmug bought flickr

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

I got this email a few days ago, and just figured it would mean some changes. turns out, smugmug is a pay service…~$4 a month. this is going to wreck the AFOL presence on flickr/smugmug, I think.

anyone else hear anything more?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

wtf is smugmug?

I mean, I like pandas as much as the next guy, but even they are admitting this is a “wait, what?” moment…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I have trouble believing they’re gonna make a change like that. During the period that Verizon owned Flickr there were no changes that I noticed.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

They bought Flickr, but I don’t think they will be totally combining, and imposing their fees on Flickr users

Will McDine
    Participant

I didn’t even know smugmug still existed. But if they do begin charging a fee I will no longer use it. In my mind since one is a monthly fee, and the other is free, they will likely do two different subscriptions, the free basic option with limited access to some features, and then the pay per month one which gives you all access to all functions. In reality I don’t know what smug offers as opposed to flicker, but its what makes the most sense to keep each servers users

Will McDine
    Participant

Bumping this due to a message that poped up on my Flickr. As of 1/1/19 Flickr accounts will be changing. There will be two classifications of accounts, the free account and the ‘pro’ account. All free accounts will be limited to 1000 pictures/videos and pro accounts will keep their current allotment of storage. Pro accounts are $49.99 USD per year.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Pro accounts are $49.99 USD per year.

I had ante’d up for a flickr Pro account back in 2015, figuring I could host as many LUG pics as we wanted. I was on a 2-year renewal cycle, at $44.95 for that 2-year period. So, the price is more than doubling. And I’m in a tighter financial season than I was in 2015. So, I’m not sure I want to pay $50 come February, knowing that I don’t really have >1000 photos worth sharing (in fact, I currently only have 804 dating back to 2012 – many of which aren’t LEGO-related – and I’m pretty sure I’ve never deleted anything), and since we collectively have probably at least 20-30 LUG members with flickr accounts (and thus, 20-30,000 photos’ worth of space.)

The e-mail claims “at less than half the cost of Apple, Amazon, or Google, it’s the best deal in photography—hands down” and that may be true, but I’m just reevaluating expenditures in my life, and I don’t think this is one I see as vital to continue. Most likely will let it expire and downgrade to a free account…

Do any of you have pro accounts? Do you think you use it enough to justify keeping it?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I currently have just 10 photos in my photostream, a result of having purging the older photos in 2016. Matt’s not allowed to do this though, cause I still refer back to his Fizz Boom Read album from time to time, since I have almost no pics of that stuff myself.

I did go check Frost’s STEEL CITY LUG account, in almost exactly two years of existence, it’s at 36.7% capacity (its use is somewhat erratic and inconsistent, in part as a result of some people’s willingness – most notably Bob’s – to post event photos in their own photostream). So at some point it’s gonna fill up, which means somebody will need to make another account, or somebody will have to pay for one, or we can debate if it’s a good use of LUG funds.

Will McDine
    Participant

I am sitting at 431 photos now which includes PBF 2018 and Pictures from The Art of The Brick. I personally will not be making a Pro account. Since I have Instagram and Facebook it just does not seem worth it. I would be all for making Frosts LUG account a pro account. Since the username and password is already communal (or at least I think it was or we discussed it) I would think these changes would boost activity and use of this account.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

TBB recently posted an entry on this topic:

Changes coming to Flickr following acquisition by SmugMug – here’s how it affects LEGO builders [News and Editorial]

I was amused by the guy in the comments who said he’d pay $49 a month before he used Instagram.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar