Sorting?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Sorting?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Taylor
    Participant

Hey, all!

Just wanted to pick your collective brains on the best way to store bricks. I think I’m finally going to try and organize my LEGO mess so it’s easier to find the pieces I need. Any suggestions?

Josh
    Keymaster

The rule is – there is no rule. All depends on what works for you and what parts you actually have. In general, sort by part first, and then by color if you need to.

if you look at the sorting hierarchy tab in the lug inventory tracker, you’ll see how the lug inventory is sorted
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AszRIVULP9QidF9TWnVTbV8xMEltSWZxSzI5WFREbGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oh dude, you just opened Pandora’s toybox. Well actually I think there is another recent thread where Matt offered his dissertation on storage. Whatever you do, DON’T put all the black pieces together, its better to put all the bricks together because you can’t find

anything

in a sea of black parts.

My design constraints for storage containers are:
    1) clear on all sides so you can see what is inside, this can be as simple as ziplock bags
    2) no / low cost to save capital for acquiring more parts
    3) ease of hand entry and ease of opening / reclosing – got to have a lid to keep out dust
    4) preferably large flat containers so parts are not hidden

Years ago, TLG asked AFOL’s for their preferred storage. I told them about these clear 10″ x 10″ square petri dishes I got for free because they were discarded from a research facility. The dishes have a lid and are just deep enough to hold a brick. The best TLG could do to match that has already been produced.

I am currently also using clear pretzel barrels, beanie baby display boxes, wrapping paper boxes, ziplock bags and LOTS of shelving. I should add that our esteemed leader does not approve, he prefers “matchy matchy.” 🙂 My methods are closer to the 3R’s.

Tim

There are as many different ways to store parts as there are AFOLs who need to store parts. 😀 I think Greg gives a good description of how to start. First, figure out what kind of storage contains you have or are willing to invest in. Back in the early 2000’s, I bought a lot of Set 3033 (1200 blue tub of assorted basic bricks) so I use those tubs to keep all of my basic brick (2 tubs for each color – 1 for 1x bricks and another for 2x bricks – each type of brick is in its own ziplock baggie within the tub). I label all of the tubs so I know what is in them (clear bins would avoid the need for a label). I then use clear plastic shoe boxes, various snap top containers, and several shelf draw organizers (made for nails, screws, etc.) to sort out all my specialty parts, most of which I do not sort by color (not enough of a single color to justify). I am currently contemplating buying more shelf organizers so that more of my specialty parts can be visible and easily reachable. I am also designing a custom building table that I hope to put together this summer (classify that under the longterm projects thread, I guess). Good luck and have fun. Whatever works best for you and your space is the best way to do it!

Zemata
    Participant

These guys are all correct but I have some reads for you that were thought out well in advance.

Here’s an essay on sorting hosted on the brothers brick, the most famous cool model of the day blog

Sorting, organizing, and storing your LEGO – the second hobby [Essay]

and here’s a short read for some insight into how I personally do it.

https://z3mata.tumblr.com/post/83346579185/can-you-explain-how-you-have-your-lego-organized

Good luck and come back if you have more questions!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar