Space build at my place – Saturday 3-9

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Space build at my place – Saturday 3-9

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Whiteside
    Participant

On Saturday March 9th I’m having a space build at my place from noon until whenever we’re done with it for the day. I’m ordering pizza.

@zaximillian

@willmcdine

@arcadiumsol

@randomdan

@tfdesigns

@erunaamo

@digivolution

@bengood921

I’ve tagged everyone that I know of that is currently interested in space or expressed interest in coming. Anyone in the LUG is welcome.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Whiteside.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Whiteside.
    Dan
    Participant

I’m down!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Where will this be located and are you planning to tackle the Cranberry display at all?

Will McDine
    Participant

Unfortunately I work 3p-7a Saturday into Sunday So I am out. I do look forward to seeing pictures though! Happy Building

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I would like to come to this but I will probably be out of state that day, I will let you know once I get a definitive schedule.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Barring someone calling off at work, I would like to attend too. Maybe that’s the weekend I work on the White Raven some more.

Whiteside
    Participant

Where will this be located and are you planning to tackle the Cranberry display at all?

I live in the South Hills- Mt. Lebanon, off of Bower Hill Road. I haven’t really thought of the Cranberry display but we can talk about it. I’m up for displaying something.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I *might* be able to come for this. I want to. Too soon to tell for sure

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Oooh, it looks like I’m for this one after all. So I’ll be there at noon.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Hey, @whitesidewjw, when I come over, I’d like to bring a couple of blue, checkerboard patterned shipping containers for you to look at and potentially improve to add as “yours”, in your style, as part of my eventual Space / shipping container SHIP. Are you interested in evolving these, whether keeping them or just improving them at your place?

Whiteside
    Participant

I’m down!

I *might* be able to come for this. I want to. Too soon to tell for sure

Oooh, it looks like I’m for this one after all. So I’ll be there at noon.

I’m looking forward to meeting up with everyone for a space build.

Hey, @whitesidewjw, when I come over, I’d like to bring a couple of blue, checkerboard patterned shipping containers for you to look at and potentially improve to add as “yours”, in your style, as part of my eventual Space / shipping container SHIP. Are you interested in evolving these, whether keeping them or just improving them at your place?

This sounds interesting. I can’t wait to see them.

Whiteside
    Participant

BTW….
    my address is:

439 Austin Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15243

Rich Millich
    Participant

I am on my way. Should be there around 1, 1:30. Let’s BUILD.

Dan
    Participant

Excellent build day @whitesidewjw! Thanks for hosting!

Tom Frost
    Participant

Excellent build day @whitesidewjw! Thanks for hosting!

I concur! Thanks again Walter! It was great hanging out with everyone today. I am inspired to do some building!

Rich Millich
    Participant

Thank you @whitesidewjw for the Build Day. Newly motivated, I have 7 more of the 8×8 blue, checkerboarded shipping containers underway, and 19 more planned.

These will go a long way toward filling out the SHIP.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I will be very disappointed if no photos are posted of this momentous event.

Rich Millich
    Participant

This was more of a show and tell brainstorming session.

We had a new LUG member named Herb there who built a couple of sets.

I got motivated just showing what I had going on. Ben and Dan Walker had a lot of fun just building random space rovers on the spot.

We talked about how Space has differences and similarities to other themes we display. We looked through some illustration books that inspired Walter’s style.

Pizza and mild alcoholic beverages were shared.

We talked about events too and some ways to frame displays better, about going to events, and about the seemingly outsized presence the LUG has for its size.

We also talked about color blocking a little bit and came up with some new ideas.

This was a laid back jam session of both brain and brick. These Build Day get togethers are where it’s at.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

<< I will be very disappointed if no photos are posted of this momentous event.

I took a few pictures of the stuff I built, mostly because I knew I would be in trouble with Rachel if I told her I built stuff but then had nothing to show her.

I built seven space vehicles, plus two aliens (Drillhead and Frenzy with robot arms, since his upper two arms were missing, and Walter’s claim of ‘they’re in that container somewhere’ was not helpful). Also partially visible on the left side of the pic is the vehicle Dan built. Dan, who had these crazy notions like ‘quality over quantity’ and ‘patience in finding what he needed when searching through Walter’s parts’, declined to concede that I am seven times as awesome as him. I don’t know what Walter did with them after we left, presumably he’ll take them to all kinds of events and I’ll get lots of extra display credits as a result.

Otherwise it was pretty much what Rich said. I can’t speak for anybody else, but I’m pretty sure Walter won’t have a hard time talking us into doing it again sometime.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Also, I don’t know if they’re still doing it or not, but Lego used to have that thing where you got a Lego passport and got it stamped or whatever they did (I never did it) every time you went to a new Lego store. We need something like that for LUG members’ Lego rooms. I’m currently up to eight. Of course, it’s a not a competition, but nonetheless, I’m totally winning.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Rich and Ben, thanks for the synopsis, it sounds like it was awesome.

Whiteside
    Participant

Thanks everyone for coming over for the space build. I’m excited to do another one.

I think the most important thing we talked about was the ideal house for the Lego Hobby. That is a room for storage, a room for building and a room for display. Now I just need to convince my wife.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

a room for storage, a room for building and a room for display

The room for display might seem ideal, but when you leave LEGO out, it collects dust. The Toy Brick Museum in Bellaire, Ohio illustrates this well. Plus, the number of people who will see anything is limited. I would venture to say that Micah does NOT have a display room, yet thousands of people have seen his MOC’s.

Also, if storage is for parts that you intend to use for building, a separate room is less than ideal. Presumably storage is for sets that you’ve already built and have put away.

Lastly, it might be easier to convince your “non-LEGO spouse” to allow space if its not “livable space.” Really, storage and display space will be inhabited so infrequently that you do not really need temperature control. Keeping sunlight out of display space is preferable, (unless you only build in black and very, very dark gray.) Conversely, if you have one or two MOC’s in the living space, you will be constantly noticing ways to improve them. That could be a good thing.

Anyway, that’s my 0.018 Euros.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Haha, yeah, no display room for me. I take all my MOCs apart to reuse the pieces. And my build room, storage room, and bedroom are all the same room as well 😛
    I agree that having storage close to your build space is ideal, and honestly, having a bed close to my build space can be nice too, so I don’t really mind my setup xD
    Still need to get a mini-fridge in my bedroom for the Mtn Dew tho…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar