Sptember / October LEGO Store Display

Home Forums LUG discussions Sptember / October LEGO Store Display

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

At the Q2 meeting this weekend, it was mentioned that the theme for the Lego Store display would be “Spooky” for September and October. On the way home, I had this idea and vision of a house that looks pretty normal being overrun by a giant spider that kind of surrounds and is coming over the top of the house. Thought it might be a good, non-IP based idea that can reference a lot of spooky things but also give nods to those IP things as well.

Thoughts?

Will McDine
    Participant

Thought it might be a good, non-IP based idea that can reference a lot of spooky things but also give nods to those IP things as well.

I like the idea, But I also think its like a skating on thin ice kinda thing. I guess enough Justification could be made that it’s not at all related to Aragog or any other kind of mutant sci-fi related spider, still a bit iffy though. I was thinking one of two things. Lego has done an excellent job through both the CMF’s and BAM of making a ton of figures in costumes of all varieties. With that in mind I went automatically to a dilapidated and spooky house with a witch handing out candy to trick or treaters, or a Halloween party that takes place in a grave yard next to said dilapidated old house.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It seems like we have a bunch of things that were already made for pumpkin / fall trolley that fit this description, ex. both @smallfrost and I built oversized spiders last year … and my spider is on top of a haunted house with a witch out front.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

I get the feeling something along the line of Hidden Side buildings and cars would work, that sinister monster clues and features on an otherwise normal object.

As your local train guy, I have the Hidden Side train and it is fun. A monster train.

But I agree with the idea of a spider. I have the last produced version of Aragog (Harry Potter) from the 2019 series. It’s so creepy that my relatives don’t want to see it in my displays. So yeah, spiders would work. A big creepy spider. Not like a black widow but brown and “hariy” so details can be seen from a distance.

Maybe a motor/sensor that periodically makes it lunge at the display window to mess with people.

Muhahahaha

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Maybe a motor/sensor that periodically makes it lunge at the display window to mess with people.

That is a brilliant idea! Especially with a short time delay, so the person has a few seconds to look at the display first. Could a motion sensor work through plexiglass?

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

We’ll have to find out but that’s a great idea!

I just got the EV3 Mindstorms set, that may work with the sensor, have it programmed, etc.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oooh, I can see a cobra that is flicking it’s tongue and then suddenly lunges at the glass. We could make a background / setting that looks like the Well of Souls from The Lost Ark movie! Of course we would avoid using any parts that are intellectual property (IP), like the Indy minifig.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

After being to the Lego Store over the weekend and seeing how small the display case is, gonna have to play around with the size, make things more “flat” but I have an idea about that with the snake…well, snakes. Or spider. Can do either/or or both.

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

In case anyone wanted to see what is going to be in the store display:

Spide Short

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar