Story: LEGO Sets Are Better Investments than Stocks, Bonds or Even Gold

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Story: LEGO Sets Are Better Investments than Stocks, Bonds or Even Gold

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

This was an entertaining read.

“A study by researchers at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow found that prices for retired LEGO sets grew 11 per cent annually between 1987 and 2015 —a rate that’s faster than bonds, stocks, and even gold. The study also concluded that LEGO returns are not exposed to risk factors and weakly dependent on the stock market. However, the sets are not a way to score fast cash; rather, they’re long-term investments that yield returns within two to three years of the sets being discontinued.”

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/legos-top-investment

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

So there’s two ways Lego spike in value.

The first is after a midnight release. If a Lego set is sold out just after release (like my DeLorean or Sian), within hours it will be scalped on Ebay for double or more. When a limit of 2 or 3 is in place, it can be safe to assume those are customers looking to sell their extra set to cover the cost of it and the original set they intend to build. This is a small window for a Lego investment to be profitable because the company will aim to restock the set as soon as possible on its website. As long as speculators can keep it out of stock, they can drive the price over Lego’s MSRP. Personally, I don’t like those scalpers. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr they’re the reason I stay up late just so I can get my set to build.

The second way is after a set is discontinued. Lego sets don’t usually dip in value once no longer produced before climbing like other assets such as a sports car. Instead, the value starts to go up as this article suggests at a rate better than gold, stocks, or this blasted inflation (that’s when you know have something truly profitable). That takes patience because a Lego set can be produced for a couple years or longer if it’s a real money maker for the factory. The 75955 Hogwarts Express is still in production while its the 75954 Great Hall has been discontinued. I know some insist on holding onto Lego sets in sealed boxes to get as much value but there’s a fun fact that some point, even built models will eventually be worth more than the original selling price.

As for me, I’m not selling my Lego anytime soon. I’m having too much fun with them. 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar