Sustainability / Ecology Documentary (w/ LEGO and Steel City LUG?!?)

Home Forums LUG discussions Sustainability / Ecology Documentary (w/ LEGO and Steel City LUG?!?)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So, I attended a panel on ecology on Sunday night, and met one of the panelists, a guy named Mark Dixon. He was in software, then did a documentary called YERT (Your Environmental Road Trip) where he traveled the country interviewing people whose lives were affected by fracking and such. My friend John (another panelist, who manages Garfield Community Farm in the East End,) told him that I’m a LEGO expert, and he suggested possibly working with us at some point. We didn’t flesh that out much right away, but I got his card afterward and we talked a bit more.

He said he’s open to a “just for fun” type project, but that it’d be easier for him to fit into his schedule if there’s money involved and/or if it relates to his environmental activism. I mentioned the Pittsburgh Dad idea that never quite came to fruition. He’s never done stop motion, but was open to trying, for PGH Dad or otherwise. Not sure what sort of projects we might have funds coming in for that would involve movie making, but it’s cool to have that lead, for sure.

He’s working on a documentary about plastics now, so he’s very interested in LEGO’s efforts with sustainable materials (I believe he’d heard about them and brought it up, so I showed him the pics of the prototype bricks from the seminar at The LEGO House last September.)

As we were wrapping up, he suggested that one way to work together might be if we could get our hands on a bunch of the prototype bricks and build something with them, and he could film us doing it, and weave it into his story that way. That’s probably a long shot, but maybe TLG would go for it, if they have bricks they deem ready for release into the wild? If anyone has ideas to flesh this out – what would we build, etc. – I think it might be worth proposing on the LAN to see what Kim and the others on the Community Engagement Team say.

Anyway, could be really cool to work with Mark, if we can scope out something specific that interests both him and some of our members.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar