Trading Philosophy at Events

Home Forums LUG discussions BUY / SELL / TRADE! Trading Philosophy at Events

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

We need to focus on trade a little more. It popped into my head while working the MENSA event with Dan that even while we talked about the event, it left zero time for trading. Thinking about this for a little bit, it does take 15 minutes to an hour easily to find and sort out a good trade that two people are happy with unless the brought brick is sorted. And that’s ONE trade. Since nobody and I mean NObody has all the parts they want, ever, trade among LUG members is vital, and we need to start making the proper time for it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My response won’t help, but I am just trying to think about the barriers to effective trading.

One problem is identifying things that you DON’T want and taking the time to do something about it. You never know when you might need something. In the rare event that I have parts I am certain I won’t need AND which have substantial value, I put it on bricklink. But bricklink is very time consuming and I’d rather invest my spare time building or buying things I need rather than getting rid of things that I don’t need.

Tim

I have to admit that I share Greg’s sentiments as far as my personal Lego collection. I’m not a trader or Seller. I always figure that I might need a part someday so even “useless” parts I like to keep.

That said, I agree with Rich that for those who are traders and want to participate, we as a LUG should welcome that activity. I would encourage potential trades to be posted on the Forum and then finalized/consumated at our meetings. We could also have “open time” at each meeting for potential traders to bring parts to trade.

Josh
    Keymaster

yep. I do try to bring at least 1 of my personal unsorted bins to each meet up. This last birthday party meeting was the exception since we had plenty going on already. There is time on the agenda for swap too, but like I said, last time, it got cut.

My philosophy with my unsorted bins is – “I don’t care, what do you think is fair?”

You want to take the time to dig around, you’re welcome to it. If it’s going to help you build something, I’m all for it.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Tim and Greg, regarding their LEGO collections:

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

lol

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oh yeah, well this is you Matt. (He can’t fool us, right Tim?)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Tim and Greg, regarding their LEGO collections:

GUILTY!!! 😀

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh yeah, well this is you Matt

Hey now, I’ve never said I wouldn’t trade with people. I just don’t have my collection in order, and I never got the signatures of mi hermanitos on the waivers saying I could use / trade their bricks, so…

Dan Efran
    Participant

Heh…yeah, I’m mostly a Parts Gollum too. I’ll consider trading parts I just drafted (easy come, easy go) but after I get ’em home, it’s pretty much “mine, mine!”

Not to discourage others, of course. I’m happy to have it on the agenda.

Dan
    Participant

I enjoy taking random parts bags and seeing if there’s anything interesting available for a deal.

Why not just hoard? Because if you need a random brick someday you’re more likely to get it if you wander through inventory (trade parts) randomly (see mildy-related article here: http://nautil.us/issue/4/the-unlikely/the-man-who-invented-modern-probability)!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar