Vintage Rolling Stock

Home Forums MOCs Vintage Rolling Stock

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope it was a wonderful holiday. This week, I’ve been able to start documenting built vintage-inspired rolling stock I’ve designed for my UP 4005. The cars are based on that 6×24 train plate, build up to be 8w frames and clad with tiles. They’re kept short at 24 studs long to match the stocky proportions of the countless old short cars still in service at the time when Big Boys and Challengers were made. The caboose is ready for graphics, but that’s on hold until I get info on the numbering used on the specific caboose that served the UP 4005. Like my Big Boy, these are all designed to work on standard track and kept under 10w to fit with most of my station lines (except for that caboose, will have to raise ALL my pedestrian bridges for that one….)

Cheers!
    M.P.Lynes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

I love the look of these cars! The hotdog caboose grab rails are a wonderful thouch. The brown car appears to be a cattle car, what about the beige car with finer grills? Poultry?

Tim Brown
    Participant

Those are some nice looking rail cars.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Cool trains, very realistic, they remind me of HO trains that I once had. The construction techniques appear to be very part intensive, involving lots of tile. The metal stock car, is that made with stacks of 4175 ladder pieces? I can’t imagine what holds them together.

Also, are these images all photos of actual parts or are they digital designs?

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Thanks. They’re livestock cars so anything that will fit in them. The dark beige one with ladder siding has pork in mind as the real Big Boy 4005 carried pigs back in the day. Seems appropriate for my Lego 4005.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Thanks. They are real photographs of the physical built models. You’ll be surprised what techniques can keep them together. Look closely. 🙂

John S
    Participant

Are they window frames behind the ladders?

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

1×12 plates holding the ladder from underneath its 1×2 top plate. They’re the same color so they blend in. XD

Tim

Very nice MOCs. Those would look great on a layout. I really like the dark tan car using the stacked ladder pieces (Ladder 1/2 x 2 x 2 – https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4175#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}).

Rich Millich
    Participant

Maybe we should talk about my cracy Space container system. I think you could help make these MOCs of mine both look better and be more varied in shape and content.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Sure, attach an image. I’d be glad to take a look at them. 🙂

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Happy New Year, Steel City Lug. Here’s footage of all these beauties running.
    Video

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar