Western PA train museum?

Home Forums LUG discussions Western PA train museum?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

http://www.wpmrm.org/

anyone every been there? Greg, this is up in your neck of the woods in Gibsonia.

I saw some pictures of the place after a friend took their kid there, and it got me to thinking maybe we should reach out to them and see if they’d be interested in having us do a train display. Heck, if it works out, maybe we can share with Pennlug.

Zemata
    Participant

All I can say is that someone else should get a horizon express to combine with mine if we do a display there 😀

I’d love to take a crack at a train MOC or two.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m somewhat hesitant to dive into the wormhole that would be LEGO trains on top of the monorails I already love and LEGO in general – but only because I have bills to pay.  I am in the railroad industry, after all, so I was quite impressed with Tim’s BNSF locomotive, Maersk and Santa Fe trains (and I suppose PennLUG’s train display wasn’t terrible…)

Definitely worth pursuing as a possible display site.  I just may have to cancel my gas service to fund my contribution to our efforts…

Tim

I’ll be going to the WPMRM this Saturday as part of a cub scout event.  This weekend is the last weekend that their Holiday display is open to the public.  I’m not sure (and their website does not list) whether they are open other times during the year.  I’ll try to get some good pics and post them here.

Josh
    Keymaster

what a coincidence! I’m eager to see what you come back with.

Tim

The Museum was really nice.  It is two floors with the upper floor being an enormous HO layout depicting Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD in the 1950’s.  The lower floor contains a O scale layout for kids, some Thomas building tables, a small snack area and a theater area.  There really in nowhere for us to exhibit long-term although the Museum might be open to having us do a layout for a day or two on the ground floor (although this would eat into an already fairly cramped space).  There is no room at all on the second floor.  Cool place to visit but I don’t think there is much opportunity for us to do anything there.

Josh
    Keymaster

Thanks for the report back. Did they seem to have a holiday display at all?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

One of my neighbors is a retired engineer and he has worked there for years.  Many years ago when I first started the LEGO train / MOC city thing, I asked him about setting up a display.  He asked a lot of tough questions but the hardest one was basically whether I could ensure that someone would be at the display during all the operating hours that it was on display.  That was enough to make me realize it was not going to happen.  Btw, I think they are only open to the public from November to January but even though I have driven past it hundreds of times, I have not actually been in the western PA train museum since my boys were small enough that I could carry them around.  That was at least eight years ago.

Tim

The first floor was decorated for Christmas (there was a tree and some other decorations) but the displays were NOT holiday themed.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey Matt, was someone interested in monorails? Here is an interesting lot on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MON01-HUGE-LEGO-LOT-MONORAIL-COLLECTION-CUSTOM-STATION-ACTUAL-PICS-/190873974198?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2c70f9b5b6

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Don’t do this to me, Greg.

I have no interest in his customized trains or base, but assuming all the motors work that’s quite a bit of hard to find stuff. Guess I’ll have to put it on my watch list and see what happens…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

🙂

Did you know that the PennLUG guys have been working on this monstrous monorail project? Michael MacLeod posts pictures on facebook once in awhile. My guess is they are trying to complete it for Brickfair.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

So is there anyone with money that is interested in 80’s castle and space sets? This auction ends in 3+ hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321170648177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Attachments:
    Tim

So is there anyone with money that is interested in 80′s castle and space sets? This auction ends in 3+ hours.

If those were complete sets, the Buyer got a steal at $213. The Galaxy Explorer alone usually goes for much more than that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Dang, that really is a lot for $230ish. Lots of figs & horses, and the Classic Space guys look to be in good shape. If I’d been within cellular reception on Friday, I would have probably bid… have I mentioned you guys are a bad influence?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Matt, you are not going to believe this monorail gold mine someone found:

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=748045

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Wow. Just wow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar