What a deal!

Home Forums All Things LEGO! What a deal!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Duncan
    Participant

Jeff popped into the local Goodwill and scored a giant bag of bricks for $10. It turns out the the bag contained the entire Black Pearl, minus 1 brick. -Including minifigs and a creator plane.

Black Pearl

🙂

Josh
    Keymaster
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yea, that’s an incredible find. I should go to Goodwill more often, but I’ve never had much luck the few times I have…

Aaron Gomez
    Participant

That is amazing!

David H Donley
    Participant

Yeah, I just figure at this point everyone is taunting me.

Duncan
    Participant

Sorry David, didn’t meant to be a tease. 😉

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am now officially looking for a used tower bridge set at a good price. I think I can get one on eBay for about $200 – do you think I could do better than that? I also have an ebay coupon that expires today – its for 10% off something over $150.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Last December, I paid $120 for the set via Craigslist. No box or instructions, had been built once and displayed. Do with this information what you will.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do with this information what you will.

Does that include offering to buy it from you? I tried a national search of craigslists and did not find anything better. Perhaps I need to be more patient.

Btw, I don’t expect there is either a place for it in the current display nor that you will have the time to work on this whimsical idea of mine.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Maybe. I don’t remember what his asking price was (probably between $130-150), but I offered “$120 and I’ll buy it tonight”, and he took it.

Yea, I know I can’t pull it off by tomorrow… thought *maybe* for Trolley Museum, but better option is to either aim for 2015 holidays or give it to you, who has proven to actually be capable of taking ideas and concepts and converting to hard ABS MOCs.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

50 random minifigs for $15, including shipping … 706 sold, must be an incredible deal, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lot-Of-50-Random-Minifigures-Figures-Men-People-Minifigs-Grab-Bag-/361056836984?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item5410aa1d78

#ripoff

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

What’s with the model? I’m going to guess that these are knockoffs…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m going to guess that these are knockoffs…

Yeah, it does not actually say LEGO anywhere … but wouldn’t you think that “minifig” and “minifigure” are trademarked? But 706 sold, that’s phenomenal!

HOWEVER, if you can make fake minifigs that cheaply AND ship them from China, how much more do real ones cost to make?

Josh
    Keymaster

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, NINJAGO, MINDSTORMS and MIXELS are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group.
    ©2014 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Guys, I don’t know how to get this hashtag thing to work but if anyone can forward this to #Dan or any other SteelCity fans of old space / monorail, I’m able to get these

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/clt/4748564782.html

over the next 24 hours.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Guys, I don’t know how to get this hashtag thing to work

That’s because it’s not a hashtag, it’s an @ symbol, @greg. @randomdan, what do you think? Lots of good stuff here, and I want it, but I don’t even know how to make an offer – you think “This collection is hudge .make a offer for everything.” means he wants to sell it all together? I can’t really even accurately judge the scope of the lot, if so… I def. would love to get that Blacktron and monorail, and the other spacey and castle sets are also cool, but… I’m guessing there’s at least $2000 worth there…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Meant to ask – you’re saying you’re near Lancaster, @greg? And willing to transport ABS back to PGH? But only if the deal is done within 24 hours?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Meant to ask – you’re saying you’re near Lancaster, @greg? And willing to transport ABS back to PGH? But only if the deal is done within 24 hours?

Yes, someone has to make a deal this weekend anyway because it is supposedly being sold on eBay on Monday, but I have relatives that can pick it up here if I miss the opportunity – it will just take longer to get it to the ‘burgh. @randomdan @bengood921 @matt @daddywarbucks

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK @greg, so if Dan and/or I wanted to make this happen, what would you need from us? PayPal transfer of funds? We’re talking several hundred dollars, easily (we figure just the monorail and the Blacktron sets are worth $400), and I wouldn’t want you to be out on a limb for us…

Dan’s suggesting contributing to a pool of cash to buy the lot, then dividing it up later. I could be on board with that. Need to confirm that the seller wants to move the whole lot as one deal – otherwise, I’d make an offer on just the stuff I want. But, my guess is one offer takes all. And, my quick and dirty evaluation is that it would probably take at least $900 to get this lot… hard to say for sure, since the pics aren’t great, there seems to be a lot of overlap (same sets in multiple pics), and I can’t tell what’s in the Star Destroyer box / pic.

We basically need to decide tonight and have you take action in the morning, or something?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

if Dan and/or I wanted to make this happen, what would you need from us?

First figure out what you are willing to spend and make the guy an offer. If you are not certain ask for clarification, I don’t know anymore than what’s on craigslist, I have not contacted him, I don’t even know where he lives … could be Philly or Baltimore which would be a deal breaker but the listing says Lancaster.

Please ask him HOW he wants to be paid. Personal check and credit card are easy for me, getting several hundred dollars in cash would require me stopping at a PNC bank, but that’s doable. Another choice might be for you to PayPal the guy directly, but of course not until I’m there and can verify the sale.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK; just wanted to get a firmer idea what your level of interest truly was – you’re not trying to get in on any of it? Don’t want to mess with the gory details? But you’re willing to be the mule? What’s your fee?

Dan and I have been discussing it; let us stew on it for a bit. I’d be fine with doing PayPal once you’ve verified the lot is in good condition… probably the easiest way, if the seller is cool with it.

Anyone else want in on this potential purchase? Let @randomdan and me know!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

there’s no fee and I have no interest in buying space or monorail, but I know you guys are; I was looking for a tower bridge when I found it 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

there’s no fee

You sound like Attorney Edgar Snyder.

But you’re a gentleman and a scholar. Will the boards be the best way to contact you, should we choose to proceed? Or e-mail / phone? Decent chance Dan and I make an offer, and see what happens… you’re saying you’re available to meet some time tomorrow so long as it’s actually in or near Lancaster?

Greg Schubert
    Participant
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar