what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 372 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Where the tree was built, it was hard to get far enough away to get the entire tree (and star) in one photo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

closeups

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Tim

At first glace, I thought the woman on the roof/porch was holding a shotgun, all the better to bag a dinner of elk. 😀

The impressiveness factor is so very high. Not just the overall size, which is impressive itself, but the details of incorporating the Winter Village houses and other small scenes is wonderful. And to me, this is reminiscent of Caras Galadhon in Lothlorien (LoTR) with the people living in the trees.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was thinking about the rebrick contest theme, Winter Wonderlands,

https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/contest-page/contests/winter-wonderland-worlds

and thought maybe the big tree does not REALLY fit this theme. So I brainstormed another entry over break and put it together yesterday.

Attachments:
    Tim

Minifigs making snow angels. Very well done.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m now wondering what the record is for most number of posts on a single thread on this website, and how long it will take Greg to beat it here. My own similar thread has not progressed, although besides the lack of subscribers, the biggest holdup there is that I don’t actually like to talk about stuff in progress. (I like the ‘Big Reveal’. Although of course, if you don’t tell people about stuff you’ve started, then they don’t nag you about it when a long time passes and you still haven’t finished it.)

The ascending path, trees, and other additions to the big tree are all excellent touches. I could point out though that you still need to build the back half of the tree 😛

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hmm, I’ve noticed that this thread hasn’t been updated in two years. Surely there’s been activity worth mentioning in that time.

I also notice that Rich’s similar thread has more posts than this one, despite the fact that Rich didn’t start his until after this one had gone dormant. I wanna see you guys have an epic battle for most posts in a single thread (although it’s hard to believe that anything will ever catch Threadjacking).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was thinking about the rebrick contest theme, Winter Wonderlands,

Incidentally I won this contest. My winter post office and the PPG skating rink tree were then added into the game LEGO Worlds game.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Incidentally I won this contest. My winter post office and the PPG skating rink tree were then added into the game LEGO Worlds game.

Sweet! Okay, so I don’t know anything about this game, I’m not sure I even knew it existed. I remember Lego Universe, and Lego Dimensions. So I don’t even know if Worlds is still running. Nonetheless, that’s still totally sweet. Did you go play the game and find your stuff? How much did Lego pay you?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The idea of having this thread lost its luster. But if you must know, in the last month I

1) reinforced the Alpine mosaic for Brickfair VA ’20
    2) bought way too many Pick-a-Brick parts
    3) designed a new conical roof for the dark blue building
    4) Greenberg’s, Cranberry First Night and Trolley Museum
    5) began rebuilding King Friday’s castle for the Science Center display until reflooring our basement pushed everything aside, literally

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> The idea of having this thread lost its luster. But if you must know,

I must know. I think you should start doing weekly YouTube videos, like some of those Star Wars builders.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Did you go play the game and find your stuff? How much did Lego pay you?

Maybe Josh figured it out, or maybe a guy posted on the contest site that he saw it on the game. I got the photos from a youtube video of a guy playing the game.

I was a runnerup, so I got two ninja sets: https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-rebrick-winter-wonderland-worlds-contest/ They did not advertise this in advance, but winners also received a rather rare ReBrick minifig.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Man, that tree still looks awesome though. You really need to rebuild it so that it breaks down into sturdy transportable sections. I have spoken.

Rich Millich
    Participant

You know what I like, @greg? I like the feeling of quiet and peaceful stillness and space in your builds. I think that maybe all the heavy snow draping these scenes and the few figs outside really “quiets” these scenes down the most.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the feeling of quiet and peaceful stillness and space in your builds.

Wow Rich, this is a very insightful observation! Perhaps my MOC’s are the antithesis of a classroom of teenagers.

I don’t think this ever occurred to me on a conscious level, but it makes so much sense, especially when I think about how I feel when I look at MOC’s with hundreds of multi-color minifigures.

This reminds me that I once theorized that kids like to listen to loud, exciting music because their lives are boring, whereas adults have enough stress in their lives, so they prefer calmer music.

Attachments:
    Tim

designed a new conical roof for the dark blue building

I should have mentioned earlier how much I like the Dark Blue house. The architecture of the different section go together seamlessly and really make for a nice manor house.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Yesterday and today I wasted a lot of time trying to unpack an eBay scam. It started when the tracking said that a package had been delivered just after 6 PM but the package was nowhere to be found.

The scam works like this: if a seller ships any package somewhere in the buyer’s zipcode, and uses tracking to show that a package was shipped, there is little recourse for the buyer. UPS won’t tell the buyer where the package was shipped even though the buyer has the tracking number. They will only tell the person who sent the package.

Today I read a few similar stories in which eBay and PayPal sided with the seller and their fake tracking. Has anyone heard of a resolution to this problem?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

an eBay scam

To recap, eBay only needs proof of tracking to the buyer’s zipcode, they do not need tracking to the buyer’s address.

I read some suggestions on eBay which said to ask for a return. The advice was that the fraudulent seller would not respond to emails and therefore would not provide a shipping label and the buyer would eventually get their money back.

I tried that and the seller DID provide a return shipping label. Hmm. Well, now I have the seller’s name and address so maybe I can find out where the package was actually sent. Stay tuned …

Rich Millich
    Participant

As an offhand thought, would you consider other peaceful scenery from other landscape types interesting? I know that you did like to brick build clouds as well, and that got me thinking about other dioramas with peace and quiet as a mood.

Does a Three Wise Men camel caravan under a night sky sound cool to build?
    How about a lazy day fishing on a lake?
    A rock garden perhaps?
    A martial arts fighter meditating under a waterfall?
    How about a sword in a vine covered stone plinth amid tall trees and mist, surrounded by cautious forest animals?
    Maybe a tumbledown, abandoned farmhouse?
    How would you depict soothing rain in a LEGO scene?

I think it’s artistically interesting that you have this mood throughout a lot of your builds. Just throwing some ideas your way.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Today I read a few similar stories in which eBay and PayPal sided with the seller and their fake tracking. Has anyone heard of a resolution to this problem?

Did you actually contact them? I’m surprised by this, since most of the stories I’ve heard about conflict resolution for those sites suggests that they are much more likely to side with the buyer. It might be worth trying. You can also leave ‘This guy is a scam’ feedback, I’m not sure how the eBay feedback system works these days.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I placed a claim in PayPal’s resolution center. The seller has an opportunity to respond.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today’s project is trying to repair a dishwasher. It won’t start, so after looking online, it seems that we need to replace a thermal fuse that often blows in dishwashers. So instead of waiting six weeks for the Sear Repair guy, we dove into taking it apart.

I am not an electrician, but I tried to measure the resistance of the current fuse using a cheap multimeter. It measures 0.4 on the 200 ohm scale. I assume that the fuse is the problem and that we need to buy a $20 replacment to avoid paying for a $200 repair. But who knows, after I try this, I might need to pay a repairman anyway. 😛

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I placed a claim in PayPal’s resolution center. The seller has an opportunity to respond.

The seller sent a new fake tracking from another location and this supposed new package is ten times heavier than the last ad is being shipped from another new location.

Meanwhile, PayPal has denied my claim because the seller provided the original tracking number. (bloody hell)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have been trying to repair our Kenmore dishwasher which stopped working a couple of days before Christmas. It would not turn on, so after consulting sources on the internet, I ordered a thermal fuse. Apparently these fuses blow out frequently, causing the machine not to start. I got TWO fuses and replaced the old one, but still no lights came on.

We called the SEARS repairman. After measuring the line voltage and the resistance in new thermal fuse, he claims that the circuit board / control board needs to be replaced. He pulls out his phone, pushes some buttons and declares that a new circuit board would cost over $400 and we might as well get a new dishwasher for $299 dishwasher. We pay the service call fee.

We CAN afford a new dishwasher BUT it seems a shame to throw a hundred pounds of steel on the scrap heap because of this one part, so I looked on eBay. Appliance dealers sell a new circuit board for about $125. Of course I ordered a refurbished circuit board for $45 from a vendor that accepts returns. Today I received and installed the new circuit board, but the dishwasher still doesn’t work with the replacement, so now I’m back to square one.

It could be that the replacement circuit board is no good. But I wonder if the SEARS guy gets paid by the job, not by the hour, and he didn’t troubleshoot enough to determine the real problem. Ugh.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I am becoming nervous that this thread will eventually end and that I will miss it dearly.

That’s how I feel about this thread. Of course, this one never ever ever ends. Unless Greg stops updating it.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 372 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar