WIP – Hyrule Castle

Home Forums MOCs WIP – Hyrule Castle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jordan
    Participant

This is a build that has been morphing for the last 10 years. What I still have to work in the main tower, courtyard, and the moat which will surround the castle. It’s hard to see in these photos, but the main tower’s first level is surrounded with stained class windows, which I hobbled together with some clear colored pieces I had laying around. When it’s completed, it will be about 18 inches taller.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jordan
    Participant

The build is based off Hyrule Castle from the Legend of Zelda series, in particular those from the games, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Attachments:
    Jordan
    Participant

More photos. They seemed to have gotten lost in the first post

Attachments:
    Jordan
    Participant

What will eventually be the top of the main tower

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

Nice! I wasn’t familiar with it, so thanks for sending the reference pics! I’m sure fans will recognize it. hopefully you’ll get a chance to display it somewhere soon!

Rich Millich
    Participant

You’ve definitely got knowledge and support base here in this club. Don’t hesitate to reach out and ask for assistance and advice for solutions to building problems, part selection options, that kind of thing. I’m not an architecture guy, but we have several. Feel free to ask; most of us are very open once we start talking.

Dan
    Participant

Looks like it’s coming along well! Are you freebuilding or did you start with some sort of CAD design?

Jordan
    Participant

Up to this point was free building. I’ll have to CAD the rest since I’ve run out of parts

Rich Millich
    Participant

That’s a wise decision, as it saves on money and time as your build evolves.

Jordan
    Participant

A gripe I have about using those CAD tools is they give you option to use parts that may or may not exist in a specific color

Bob Grier
    Participant

That looks great Jordan! Couple of thoughts from my experiences:

Are you planning to build the stone sub-base under the castle that’s in the picture? If so I would suggest you consider “MILS-ing” the baseplate under the stonework. If you’re planning to display the castle (like at one of our events) in the future, the last thing you want is for that baseplate to flex when you’re trying to transport it!

Are you planning anything that goes beyond the 15″x15″ baseplate? If so I’d suggest you think about how to make those modular, again to make it easier to transport in the future. I didn’t do that the first time I built my Hogwarts MOC, and I ended up having to rebuild a lot of it to first get it out of my basement, and then to transport, assemble at an event, disassemble and get it back to my house without having a lot of rebuilding to do!

Personally I prefer to free build vs. using design software, but that’s primarily because I’m old school and have yet to become proficient in using the software. I can usually find a way to free build partial mock-ups to get “the look” I’m after, usually with intermixed colors, enough to determine what I need before ordering in the right color(s).

Looking forward to more updates!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar