BrickFairVA 2015

Home Forums LUG discussions BrickFairVA 2015

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The one thing I didn’t like about PBF this year was that we (Dan excluded) waited til the last minute to organize the majority of our display. So I’m going to start this thread now (or as we say in Lancaster, I’ll go ahead and start this thread awhile). I’m not sure how many people are interested in this and can make it, so we’ll see if we need to split it into logistics and display planning threads like before.

I am registered and so is Susie. We have a hotel room for the two of us and we ain’t sharing, sorry.

I talked to Rick about it a little bit and he made it clear that 1) he and Micah are very interested in going but 2) they can not yet actually commit for sure. I know Matthew is interested in going. I can’t remember who else weighed in on it, I think Evan said he was thinking about it (I should point out then that VA, like PA, is a state where turning left on red is not legal).

Info at brickfair.com. Remember that you’re not actually registered til you send Todd yer money, and that he doesn’t accept PayPal this year because he’s being a crankypants about PayPal fees, I had to actually mail him a check like it’s 1988 or something. The starting date is Wednesday July 29th (in the early afternoon) and closing ceremonies are Sunday Aug 2 (probably at 6pm). The format is similar to PBF but with significantly more space devoted to LUGs and MOCs and less to games for kids n whatnot. The convention hall is the same one they’ve used since 2011 and supposedly by August they’ll’ve expanded the building into the empty lot on one side, so we’ll see what happens with that.

I don’t know what kind of lead time we need to give if the LUG wants its own display area like we had at Philly. Unlike PBF, which is still growing and had plenty of space to work with this time around, BrickFair maxes out the available space pretty easily, so last-minute requests to add space presumably will be denied.

I haven’t decided for certain what I’m going to take yet. Originally I’d planned on taking the park and a new GBC, but my PBF experience has shown that the park is not a quick setup, and so taking it and a new GBC module may not be realistic. If not enough people go for a good town display anyway, I will be even less inclined to take the park, since I still think it doesn’t look good without buildings next to it. So right now the GBC is getting priority, and anything I build for that will be over at the GBC table, not the SCL table.

That’s it for now. I know people are gonna be busy with Ligonier and then building a track and then ICF, but it’s not too early to give this at least a little thought.

Matthew
    Participant

Im going to this and have to send money, as to what im brining, i have no clue, hopefully, LUGBULK has come in and ill be able to make my airport. if not, im looking at my brick built monorail and a better looking train station… And maybe a few modulars i MOC’d

Greg Schubert
    Participant

brick built monorail

Is this already built?

Tim

I am definitely considering going to BFVa but due to work, would not be able to arrive until Friday evening (and then stay through Sunday). Just a reminder, Chantilly, Virginia (where BFVa is held) is actually CLOSER to Pittsburgh than King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (drive time). It is about a 4-4.5 hour drive (depending upon how much of a lead foot you are when driving.

I am planning on continuing work on the Castle Apartment building so I may have that done in time for BFVa. Whatever I bring would not be as much as I brought for PBF.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m thinking on BFVa, but I can’t commit quite yet. As usual, this falls shortly after my annual trip to WA to see relatives, and it’s tricky to take more days after taking an extended vacation. #subscribed

Laura
    Participant

I’d love to go to Brickfair, but, as usual, I have no idea whether I’ll be able to. Posting here to keep up-to-date though 🙂

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Me and my dad are signed up to go, and will be there all 5 days.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Brickfair is four weeks away! open to the public on Aug 1-2
    http://www.brickfair.com/

If I go, it will be as a spectator.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I am available for the weekend days. Will definitely go for at least one day. Just posting here to stay updated and happy to contribute whatever I can.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Me and my dad are signed up to go, and will be there all 5 days.

Sweet! So this may be similar to Philly last year when you guys are pretty much in charge of the SCL table, although this time at least a few other people will be there. I’ll be there the whole time but I still expect to be at the GBC table for most of the time, and I won’t have anything for the SCL table unless I bring my lackeys. Susie will be with me and can help staff during public hours. Tim told me he still expects to show up Friday. Matthew is still coming as far as I know. Laura told me she’s not going. I’m not sure about anybody else, and I’m not sure that anybody else is going. I’m definitely not expecting a big turnout like we had in Philly.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Are things arranged for us to have a SCL table? I’m cool with it if we are, I just didn’t know if we had anything planed out with that yet?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Are things arranged for us to have a SCL table? I’m cool with it if we are, I just didn’t know if we had anything planed out with that yet?

No, somebody needs to do that. Todd is easy enough to contact through the BrickFair website, I would recommend you do that if you think you have enough to put together a table. If you don’t wanna deal with it, you can also just put your stuff in whatever theme you’ve built for wherever they tell you, that’s what Tim n Evan did in 2013, and Greg in 2011.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

We really don’t have much to bring, so a LUG display seams like it would be rather unnecessary unless people want to send a bunch of stuff up with us.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We really don’t have much to bring, so a LUG display seams like it would be rather unnecessary unless people want to send a bunch of stuff up with us.

Yeah I think that’s the right decision this time around. So unless anybody else wants to take charge of a big display (I don’t see it happening), let’s go with that.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

PS – you’re bringing your scooter, right?

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ya, I’ll bring it, and hopefully they’ll let me ride it around during the privet sessions (I don’t see why they wouldn’t).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

And so, BrickFairVA 2015 is upon us. As in, it starts tomorrow.

As far as I know, I’m still expecting to see Tim, Matthew, and Team Beideman for all or part of it. I’m not expecting anybody else.

The bad news is that I am almost certainly coming empty-handed this time. My epic GBC is still in the works, but I realized some time ago that it wouldn’t be done in time for this event. If I can get a prototype module working tonight that can stand alone, I’ll bring it, but otherwise I have nothing. I still expect to hang out at the GBC table for the majority of the week, esp during public hours on Saturday and Sunday.

I did get selected for the Impaired Speed Build game during Adult Swim, I definitely plan to make sure I show up at the proper time so I don’t miss it like last year. Unlike this year’s Red Brick District, Adult Swim is unlikely to include Evan cheating at winning the Impaired Speed Build, DanW winning a trophy, Josh winning a Sydney Opera House, Laura telling a long, rambling, strangely-accented story about Sheonard and Leldon, or extensive use of the word p****, but I still expect it to be a good time.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Unlike this year’s Red Brick District, Adult Swim is unlikely to include Evan cheating at winning the Impaired Speed Build, DanW winning a trophy, Josh winning a Sydney Opera House, Laura telling a long, rambling, strangely-accented story about Sheonard and Leldon, or extensive use of the word p****

Party?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Party?

I have to admit, that made me bust out laughing too. Either you guys are on a roll today, or I’m just easily amused.

Matthew
    Participant

Im not going, nothing to show, and i dont have the funds/time off. maybe next year

Tim

I’ll be there Friday evening after work and all day Saturday. Have to leave early Sunday morning to go to a wedding in western Maryland. Looking forward to seeing Ben compete in the drunken impaired speed build Saturday night. We should try to do a Steel City LUG dinner Saturday evening before Adult Swim.

I also will not have anything to display this year but will try to hit at least one of the two local Lego stores (Potomac Mills and Tysons Corner) over the weekend.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I will be there all of Saturday just moseying around. If anyone is on the fence and wants a ride, hit me up.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Zach did tell me at Greenberg he was gonna be there and I forgot, sorry. If you show up on Saturday during public hours, I’ll be at the GBC table, and Rick and Micah are set up not too far from there. Fortunately, unlike the rest of us, the Beideman’s brought cool stuff to display, so Steel City LUG will be represented at BrickFairVA 2015. Their setup was still in progress when I left the hall this evening, but I’m looking forward to the final results, and I’ll make sure I get good pics before the end of public hours on Sunday.

On the other hand, Micah DID NOT BRING HIS SCOOTER ALONG, so he’s pretty much dead to me.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

On the other hand, Micah DID NOT BRING HIS SCOOTER ALONG, so he’s pretty much dead to me.

I’m not even there, but I second that. #RIPMicah

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We should try to do a Steel City LUG dinner Saturday evening before Adult Swim.

Saturday for dinner I was gonna go to Genghis Grill, there’s one near the hall, and that way I have plenty of food in my stomach for Adult Swim. So let me know if you guys are interested in going there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar