BrickFairVA 2015

Home Forums LUG discussions BrickFairVA 2015

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

that way I have plenty of food in my stomach

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Ten points to Omnomnomnivore!

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Hey Guys I’m not going to make it unfortunately. Take lots of pictures for us and I’ll bring my razor to the next one, Ben 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I didn’t take a whole lot of pics this time since I didn’t have anything on display, but I’ll get a small flickr album put together once FayCo is over. In the meantime, here’s one to hold you over.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Another BrickFairVA is in the books. While I was only there for Friday night and Saturday, SCLUG was well represented by Ben, Rick, and Micah (great job on the Sherlock room). Interestingly, PennLUG was not there as a LUG, although several of their members were in attendance. The overall quality of the MOCs was very high (the minifig scale St. Peters Cathedral, the Micropolis collaborative display, Arthur Gulick’s mosaics, and the Battle of Waterloo diorama were my personal highlights – along with Sherlock of course). Out layout from Philly BrickFest would have been well received. I did see some really nice brick built roads from the Greater Florida LUG raising the bar for me to improve my roads. Next year, BFVA is August 3-7. Mark your calendars and hopefully we can finally get a good sized group to go. The Dulles Expo Center is being expanded and it will be ready next year.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Awesome. Guess I need to watch Sherlock so I can understand @hacim’s MOC.

Also,

Ten points to Omnomnomnivore!

Omnomnomnivore rhymes with Gryffindor, did you guys get it??? 😛

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Whoo hoo! Micah made Hinkle’s photostream:

BrickFair VA 2015 | Chantilly, VA; USA

I also found two pics that I’m in, but only as some dork in the background working at the GBC table. Of course Hinkle wasn’t there last year when I actually had something cool built.

Tim

Ben, how was the impaired speed build? I crashed after dinner and never made it back to the hall for Adult Swim.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I crashed after dinner and never made it back to the hall for Adult Swim.

Tim is lame; lame is Tim.

Tim

Tim is lame; lame is Tim.

Extraordinarily lame; and tired after a week of 14+ hour days working in Richmond. :-p

Although I did not spend lots of time at BrickFair, it was still fun to be there and see all the MOCs (twice as many as at Philly). I would love to get a contingent of Steel City to go with a layout display one of these times.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Extraordinarily lame; and tired after a week of 14+ hour days working in Richmond. :-p

14+ hour days? I hope you get paid by the hour…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I crashed after dinner and never made it back to the hall for Adult Swim.

Boy did I call that one. At one point I said to Rick “I expected Tim to be back over here by now. I bet after stuffing his face at the Japanese steakhouse he went back to his room and totally zonked out. Lame.”

The weekend was good. Before our romantic dinner at Otani’s, me and Tim were looking at stuff on display Saturday afternoon, and we discussed stuff we saw that we thought would be good for the LUG to try, esp the Micropolis. I’ll post links and pics and more info once I get my flickr folder up, which won’t happen for a couple days yet.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

K, BFVA wrap up:
    1. BrickDude is best vendor ever when it comes to cool parts
    2. I still haven’t finished my D&D Mixel
    3. was more fun than PBF (mainly cause of how many more displayers were there)
    4. did not win close to as much free Lego as I did at PBF
    5. Beyond the Brick did a video of my Sherlock model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qWAeNrvCQ

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

3. was more fun than PBF (mainly cause of how many more displayers were there)
    4. did not win close to as much free Lego as I did at PBF

So you find looking at displays to be more fun than winning free LEGO? 😛

Keep in mind, folks, that this year’s bounty at PBF is no guarantee that future years will prove as lucrative, prize-wise. Obviously, we’ve cornered the market on speed builders with @randomdan and @zemata, but I kind of doubt Chad will receive pallets full of scratch-and-dent modular buildings, Sydney Opera Houses, and VW Vans again next year…

Micah Beideman
    Participant

So you find looking at displays to be more fun than winning free LEGO?

No, not really. What I do like more than winning free LEGO, is hanging out with other displayers. The reason I liked BFVA better wasn’t cause of the displays, but the displayers. There were just so many more cool people to meet and talk to!

Josh
    Keymaster

I was not subscribed to this thread, so I didn’t see micah’s vid until I just saw it today on flickr. We have a celebrity in out midst! Rock on!

Tim

The reason I liked BFVA better wasn’t cause of the displays, but the displayers. There were just so many more cool people to meet and talk to!

BFVA is definitely much larger than PBF so there are a lot more displayers. I’ve been going to BFVA on and off since 2002 and have met lots of great AFOLs there. PBF is off to a great start and I think will eventually be on par with BFVA (in some respects, it is better) overall. Each has its own vibe, which is great.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

No, not really. What I do like more than winning free LEGO, is hanging out with other displayers. The reason I liked BFVA better wasn’t cause of the displays, but the displayers. There were just so many more cool people to meet and talk to!

Fair enough; having not made it to BFVA yet, I can only imagine.

BFVA is definitely much larger than PBF so there are a lot more displayers. I’ve been going to BFVA on and off since 2002 and have met lots of great AFOLs there. PBF is off to a great start and I think will eventually be on par with BFVA (in some respects, it is better) overall. Each has its own vibe, which is great.

If only I didn’t have this pesky job which limits my vacation days, I could attend ALL THE CONS!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar