Introductions : Rediscovering Childhood with the Lego

Home Forums Introductions Introductions : Rediscovering Childhood with the Lego

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nikhil Arni
    Participant

I am a 35 year old man but with a mind of a kid when it comes to playing with the Lego.

I was about 6 when I got my first lego set and it was no looking back. My mom still says, my mental age is that of a ten year old when it comes to Lego.

While growing up and travelling, kept seeing the various Lego sets at the airport duty-free shops and kept eye-ing the Technic simply for its gears, movement mechanisms and the pneumatic powered functions. Obviously, me asking my parents was only met with the stiff reply, that I had to focus on studies and I had grown up to not play with the Lego sets. Life had bigger challenges ahead. I had managed to get a catalogue and would keep browsing through the various models listed there and tried to make some of the movement mechanisms with the existing lego I had… but was always found wanting for some part or the other.

Cut to 2016 onwards…Was decently settled careerwise and going on. I finally thought I could afford a Technic ( my god, they are so damn expensive, and now I realised why my parents did not get it for me 🙂 )

Then I zeroed in on the Arocs model thinking it had a fair bit of parts that I could re-use when I combine it with my older set. Something or the other keeps coming up that exhausts your savings, everytime I thought I had saved enough to buy it. Then finally, Thanksgiving of 2017, I bought it.

The day the set got delivered, I was back to being a boy with a new toy. My wife kept saying that there was a twinkle in my eye that she had not seen before.

It took us about 4 days ( few hours each day and juggling it with work ) and almost a complete weekend in between to assemble the A Model.
    I was thrilled assembling the Gear mechanisms and the Pneumatic pumps driven crane. It was a pure fascination that something so realistic could be created by Lego.

Now, I am itching to build the B Model and then explore some of the other things I can do with it.

This is my story. After building the A model, I started looking for groups around Pittsburgh for Adult Lego Fans and found this forum. Looking for ideas and joint activities within the group.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Welcome, Nikhil!

In what part of Pittsburgh do you live?

If you’d like to meet some members, your next opportunity is at our fourth quarter meeting – which has been bumped to early January due to the holidays and the many public events we typically do in Oct-Dec (unfortunately, you’ve just missed the last weekend of Santa Trolley, and we’re done with public events for the year now.)

There will be a business meeting, food, a build challenge, a parts draft, and other LEGO-related fun!

It would be great to see you there!

Nikhil Arni
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words. I am on the GreenTree Road, pretty close to downtown. I would love to come to the next meet or any meetings with the Lego builders. Esp with winter around and lego being an in-door activity, it would be a fun way of spending some quality time.

I will be looking forward to the next meet in Jan for sure.

Regards
    Nikhil

Rich Millich
    Participant

Right now, the S.W. Randall event is still going, and we’re building a Town/City scene next with a New Year’s Eve party going on along this island boardwalk. That installation is happening around 11AM on December 30th, and we usually eat beforehand and hash out last second creativity ideas for the layout.

Every member of the LUG or fan of LEGO is invited. We’ll meet at either Villa Reale on Smithfield downtown or on the second floor inside the S.W. Randall’s toy store.

If you want to meet and chat with some of us, stop by!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here’s the thread with details on the SWRandall display: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/s-w-randalls-too/page/12/#post-24911

Tom Frost
    Participant

Welcome Nikhil. I can definitely relate to your story!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Nikhil, this is your last chance, after this there is no turning back. You take the blue brick, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red brick, you join the LUG, and we show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Nikhil Arni
    Participant

Hey Greg,

I’ve taken the RED pill aka Matrix… And waiting for you guys to pull me down the Rabbit hole…

Can’t wait to meet you’ll during the event on the 30 Dec and the Jan meet

Will McDine
    Participant

Green Tree road? You are not that far from me. Welcome to the Group!

Nikhil Arni
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Is the event still on tomorrow. and wanted to confirm if this is the address

630 Smithfield St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Nikhil, I’m not in charge of that event, and I’m out of town, but I believe it’s on, based on the thread (first post and some recent posts seem to indicate people are meeting.) If you need further info, talk to @zaximillian, @willmcdine, @randomdan, or @arcadiumsol… they seem to be the most active for this event.

But yes, that’s the correct address. I think they usually meet at the pizza place next door first… right, guys?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I won’t be there either, but I would assume it’s still on. At the very least Rich and Will will be there.

The pizza place is called Villa Reale. If you can’t find them there, you can wait at the display case in the toy store.

http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/s-w-randalls-too/page/13/

Rich Millich
    Participant

We are going to be installing at S.W. Randall’s Toyes and Giftes on Smithfield Street downtown between 11 am and 1:30 pm today.

We’ll be moving between the second floor cash register and the display window.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar