Ligonier Valley Model RR Home Tour – May 3

Home Forums LUG discussions Ligonier Valley Model RR Home Tour – May 3

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Tim, I can’t download your file, I just get a rectangle of text saying the file name. I seem to remember this happened once before, and I can’t remember how it was resolved.

I think Josh has to make an adjustment to the website to allow bitmap files. I just attached the .bmp file so if you have Blue Brick on your computer, you should be able to open it up.

Josh
    Keymaster

the bbm file is for bluebrick, you have to right click and save as on the link to save the file.

as far as the bmp…I forget. too tired to figure it out now…and I may have accidentally just deleted it…

David H Donley
    Participant

I wish I could come out and help, but I just don’t have the time Friday evening or Saturday.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks for jumping on this, guys! PBF was awesome, but also a huge time drain, so I haven’t been able to focus on LVRR until now.

Tim, I’ll check out the layout in BlueBrick tonight (but if you can post a JPEG or something, that’d also be rad.) Like we said when we met last week, there’s definitely room for improvisation, as long as we have a general plan.

As for Ben’s MILS baseplates, I think we successfully fudged a transition (from MILS to track just lying on the table) at the last two events, and can probably get away with it again; long term, I’d love to see us work on MILSing more of our track. OOH, and Dan / Evan / I attended Cale from PennLUG’s Train seminar (basically a walk-around of their massive 29’x83′ layout and discussion of many things we saw) on Friday, and learned some fun stuff, like how to make larger radius curves by using straight track and only connecting one of the clips. Food for thought in the future…

I just got an e-mail from Richard with the event, and he said he’ll be at Huber Hall around 2:30 on Friday. I’m not sure that I can get there that early (will have to see if a half day is an option), but if anyone wants to go early that’s fine. I asked if there’s a cutoff time that evening where we’ll have to clear out; will let yinz know when I hear back. Obviously, the more we get set up that night, the better.

I believe the current set-up team is Tim, Laura, Ben, Susie, and me; with Dan subbing in for Laura on Saturday to help staff. Saturday setup can start at 7:30; doors open 9 AM – 4 PM; teardown will hopefully not take too long after that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Confirmation for setup: Richard will be there from 2:30 – 6ish (said he could stay later); and the building will be open late (it’s a fire hall with a bar) so we can stay as long as it takes. Which hopefully won’t be too long…

Ben / Susie, what time do yinz think you can get there on Friday? I’m going to shoot for 5ish, no later than 6, but it’ll depend on work and whether I can sneak out early.

Tim

I’ve got 14 road sections built. Each section is 32 studs long so they match up with baseplates. I could probably build two more sections if needed. So modifying the preliminary Bluebrick, I could cover the lefthand oval, either myself or in combination with other’s houses.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Can you do a quick screen capture and save as a JPEG or something so those without Bluebrick can see what you have so far?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m not smart enough to figure out Bluebrick, I have it installed, but when I open Tim’s files, the left side is cut off and I can’t figure out how to pan over. If there’s an Autocad-style pan command, I can’t find it.

I’m also curious to see a quick pic of the actual roads, it occurred to me after Q2 that we never did get to see a road demo.

I’ll have to ask Susie what time she can get there by, but I’m guessing it’ll be around 6.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m not smart enough to figure out Bluebrick, I have it installed, but when I open Tim’s files, the left side is cut off and I can’t figure out how to pan over.

It’s definitely not easy / intuitive. But I think you can hold shift, click, and drag (as opposed to the scroll wheel which will just zoom in and out randomly.) My least favorite part of the software, to date.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

That worked, thanks.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There’s an e-mail circulating between those who volunteered on the Doodle, but just in case anyone else wants to join us for setup Friday night, here’s my latest reply:

Hey guys, thanks so much for being willing to help set up tomorrow night! I know it’s late, but since Dac wants to help and since we haven’t had much of a game plan, I wanted to cover things briefly:

1) Tim has a rough layout, which we can use as a starting point, but can also ad lib a bit.

2) I hope to be at the venue (Huber Hall, 300 S Alexandria St, Latrobe, PA 15650) by 5 or 5:30, but it’s gonna depend on how my work day goes – it’s my last day in the office before a big trip so I may be a bit tied up.

3) My number is 724 880 5819 if anyone needs to reach me for directions or anything.

4) I dunno… we’re winging it a bit, which is fine, due to how big a time / planning / energy commitment PBF was… but yeah. Modular buildings are ok in this setting – not a lot of AFOLs / hardcore LEGO fans who are going to (a) know,e and (b) care that we’re using stock sets, so the more we have, the merrier! Bring what ya got, we’ll probably fit it in somewhere!

Josh
    Keymaster

just a quick capture of what Tim did.

Attachments:
    Tim

I just finished packing my van full of Lego goodness. I’ll be able to leave by around 6 and should be there by 7ish.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK. I’m still stuck at work, but hoping to get on the road soonish…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

BAM.

Here’s my 15 minutes of fame – an article in the print-only Latrobe Bulletin hyping our event tomorrow.

Display is looking good; Tim and I will add some finishing touches in the morning.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

BAM.

Here’s my 15 minutes of fame – an article in the print-only Latrobe Bulletin hyping our event tomorrow.

Display is looking good; Tim and I will add some finishing touches in the morning.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I had fun this weekend, our display came out looking really good, the public loved it, and the atmosphere was very relaxed. Here’s some pics of the excitement the rest of you missed this weekend to hold you over til I get pics posted to flickr.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

There was supposed to be two there, I’m not sure what happened…

Attachments:
    Dac
    Participant

Yo!

Here are a bunch of pictures I took at the event. http://imgur.com/a/oCzTu

It was tons of fun, and we definitely had the coolest display there. 😀

Josh
    Keymaster

Lol, I like the captions, Ben. Sounds like a great event. Thanks for doing pulling it off! Dac, who busted out me gold???

Laura
    Participant

Images aren’t showing up for me, I would really like to see more. =(

Josh
    Keymaster

which images, Laura? Ben’s post attachments or Dac’s url? both work fine for me.

Laura
    Participant

Dac’s weren’t working on my computer but I checked them out on my phone. I think it was my browser.

Tim

Coming on the heels of the Westmoreland debacle, the LVRR show was outstanding. We were repeatedly told by the show organizers how much they appreciated having us there and how they would love to have us back each year. The display itself came together fairly quickly Friday night and consisted of three primary sections and four rail lines. The first section was a small farm layout by Laura. Matt built a cool paddock using the abundant amount of white fence pieces the LUG has. The next section was a residential and shopping district featuring lots of Modulars, the Simpson’s House (from Dac), Doug’s townhouses, Ben’s observation deck, and a few of my houses. Everything was tied together using my brick built roads. The last area was a downtown area featuring a few of my skyscrapers.

Here are some miscellaneous thoughts. It was sweet running four trains at once. I really need to get some minifig scale Pittsburgh buildings completed (I was using my leftovers from Richmond which were very well received but not recognizable). We discussed doing a “moonscape” for next year featuring the monorail, a space train, and other space related MOCs. Overall, a great event that I would recommend doing again.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

For anybody interested, I finally got this album posted to flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/sets/72157645497921823/

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar